TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
Jok3r77

General client settings

Rate this question

Question

Jok3r77

Everything is set up and working fine. I however just can't seem to find any video or documentation that simply walks through the client settings, what they mean, recommendations, etc... So here are my questions regarding the settings for the TorGuard Client (as of 12/2/2016).

On the startup screen

What do the protocol and cipher settings even do and how do I know what to choose?

-Currently, I'm on UDP and some random "cipher" but no idea what the significance of those choices are. 

General Tab

What does check TUN/TAP adapters on connect do?

What does Enable disabled interfaces before connecting do?

What is the High DPI scaling factor?

What is a cipher warning?

Network Tab

Can I get a walk through of all of these settings?

Proxy TAB?

Additional questions

What are recommended client settings for best privacy practices?

What is the difference between:

• TorGuard's Anonymous Proxy service
  • Torguard's Chome Plugin
  • The VPN Client's Proxy Settings tab (above)
  • And how do the above compare or relate to proxy servers from Google / openVPN / etc..?

2 answers to this question

TorGuard

Everything is set up and working fine. I however just can't seem to find any video or documentation that simply walks through the client settings, what they mean, recommendations, etc... So here are my questions regarding the settings for the TorGuard Client (as of 12/2/2016).

On the startup screen

What do the protocol and cipher settings even do and how do I know what to choose?

-Currently, I'm on UDP and some random "cipher" but no idea what the significance of those choices are.

Protocol:

•     TCP is more reliable, bypasses firewalls that ban UDP traffic. Use if A: You are behind a restricted network(School, Government, Corporate Business), or B: You only surf the web/check emails, or various other light tasks that don't require speed).
  •     UDP is more faster, best for downloading, streaming, gaming. Use this if you have no issues connecting to stuff and require fastest speeds.

Cipher:

Cipher is the level of encryption the VPN will use, which will basically scramble your data in a unreadable format so if someone is spying on your network connections they won't be able to see what you are accessing/visiting(Your ISP for example). Which is important to use if you are going to be accessing questionable material.

• AES-256-CBC will provide with the highest level of encryption. Use this if you are paranoid. SLOWEST.
  • BF-CBC (Blowfish), offers better encryption than AES-128 with minor speed difference, this is my go to cipher. SLOW.
  • AES-128-CBC will provide minimum level of encryption, good for most people. FAST.
  • No Cipher - You never want to use this as it doesn't encrypt your data at all, so people can see what you are doing online. FASTEST.

Note: You won't notice much difference between the highest level and lowest level of encryption unless you do a lot of downloading. You can play online games, stream content without much difference on BF-CBC or AES-256-CBC.

Fastest to Slowest: No Cipher >> AES-128-CBC >> BF-CBC >> AES-256-CBC

Fastest to Slowest: HMAC-SHA1 >> HMAC-SHA256 >> HMAC-SHA512

You can see all the encryption ciphers here: https://torguard.net/tgspec.php

General Tab

What does check TUN/TAP adapters on connect do?

• Checks to make sure the adapter is installed.
  • It's for the killswitch feature, if you lose connection to the VPN you can instruct torguard to disable your main network device, then have it re-enabled when you try to connect again.
  • You can leave this disabled, I think it increases the quality of the TorGuard menu if on a higher resolution monitor. I never had to use it.
  • Cipher Warning is when you don't set an encryption level as explained above.

Network Tab

Proxy TAB?

Network tab is where you will be able to set which device you want TorGuard to disable when you lose connection. There is also various other things, like webrtc/dns leak prevention on that tab. It's rather straight forward, if there is something in particular you don't understand feel free to ask.

Proxy TAB is for STEALTH connections to bypass restrictive firewalls (School, Government, Corporate and Government networks like China). Generally you shouldn't have to worry about that tab.

The last tab is for dedicated ip's that you purchase through TorGuard.

Additional questions

Set:

• Cipher AES-128-CBC STEALTH
  • Protocol TCP
  • Enable DNS Leak Prevention
  • Enable Webrtc Leak Prevention
  • Enable IPV6 Leak Prevention
  • Set DNS servers to OpenDNS or Level3 or Torguard

You shouldn't rely on others to give you "best" settings, as it depends on what you need the VPN to do and should be tweaked accordingly by you for best results.

• And how do the above compare or relate to proxy servers from Google / openVPN / etc..?
  1. The proxy service gives you access to Socks5/HTTP/HTTPS/SSH proxies, which is useful for torrenting or added protection, if you don't know what a proxy is: look it up.
  2. It's just an extension for Chrome that uses SSL proxies which doesn't offer the same level of security as TorGuards VPN client.
  3. Explained above.
  4. Umm, not sure what you mean by "proxy servers from Google", I am going to assume you mean the DNS servers settings for: Google, OpenDNS. Which in that case, it's for preventing IP leaks, so you don't use your ISP's dns servers which will pass on all your hostname queries to your ISP which is bad. Google is bad pick for DNS servers if you care about privacy. Use openDNS or TorGuards servers.

Hopefully that helped explain things better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Support

On the startup screen

General Tab

What does check TUN/TAP adapters on connect do?

Network Tab

Proxy TAB?

Additional questions

Thanks for you reply - in response to this we will start working on the proper documetion for the client software - and post it very soon.

Regards