TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
LA Video Editor

Synology RT1900ac Questions

Rate this question

Question

LA Video Editor

For a couple of months now I have been using the Synology 1900 to run Torguard VPN.

I have it setup to run through the router to my entire house.

I had a bit of a time setting it up, but now have the hang of getting what I need through Torguard's config tool.

I have run into some problems I hope that others who have this router may help me with.

What type of speed drop should I expect when using VPN?  My normal speed is about 70mbps, and with Tor on, it drops to a high of around 20mbps. Average about 12mbps.  Is that roughly what I can expect?  Even at that drop off I am OK with it, if that was the only issue...but it isn't.

The bigger issue is that the connections don't seem stable.  I mean I will get a call at work from my family saying that the internet is not working. I dial into the modem and turn off the VPN connection and of course everything is OK again. Most of the time I can then tell it to re-connect to the same exact TOR portal and everything will work as usual.  Then time goes by(day or two at most) and the same thing will happen again.

Is this the same experience that other Synology owners have, and is this the norm for all VPN companies?

Or is it time to call TOR customer service to troubleshoot, find another VPN service, or a better router?

I would love to hear your experience.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Support

For a couple of months now I have been using the Synology 1900 to run Torguard VPN.

I have it setup to run through the router to my entire house.

I had a bit of a time setting it up, but now have the hang of getting what I need through Torguard's config tool.

I have run into some problems I hope that others who have this router may help me with.

What type of speed drop should I expect when using VPN?  My normal speed is about 70mbps, and with Tor on, it drops to a high of around 20mbps. Average about 12mbps.  Is that roughly what I can expect?  Even at that drop off I am OK with it, if that was the only issue...but it isn't.

The bigger issue is that the connections don't seem stable.  I mean I will get a call at work from my family saying that the internet is not working. I dial into the modem and turn off the VPN connection and of course everything is OK again. Most of the time I can then tell it to re-connect to the same exact TOR portal and everything will work as usual.  Then time goes by(day or two at most) and the same thing will happen again.

Is this the same experience that other Synology owners have, and is this the norm for all VPN companies?

Or is it time to call TOR customer service to troubleshoot, find another VPN service, or a better router?

I would love to hear your experience.

Thanks

Hey there

Welcome to TorGuard

I can't say i have any first hand experience with this router but disconnections can happen for many reasons, that we know, can i ask what protocol you use to connect via this router, are you running stock firmware and can you post us any logs when these disconnections happen ?

Best Regards

Anooom

I might be a real newbie..

But i can't figure out how to setup the openVPN on Synology RT1900AC.. :-(

Any advise?

TorGuard

I might be a real newbie..

But i can't figure out how to setup the openVPN on Synology RT1900AC.. :-(

Any advise?

Hello, welcome to the forums.

I recommend you going onto the Synology forums or reading the support documents related to your router model.

https://forum.synology.com

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/help/VPNCenter/vpn_setup