TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
user043

Stealth VPN

Rate this question

Question

user043

I might be misunderstanding something, but seeing how TorGuard's own client had stealth options and viscosity did not, I was wondering if setting up the VPN on the router also excluded stealth options?

If not, what is the difference in settings compared to the other tutorials here? DD-WRT for instance?

Getting ready to buy a router for this. Just need to understand first before I waste the money. I want the VPN tunnel created by the router to also be stealth.

5 answers to this question

Support

I might be misunderstanding something, but seeing how TorGuard's own client had stealth options and viscosity did not, I was wondering if setting up the VPN on the router also excluded stealth options?

If not, what is the difference in settings compared to the other tutorials here? DD-WRT for instance?

Getting ready to buy a router for this. Just need to understand first before I waste the money. I want the VPN tunnel created by the router to also be stealth.

Hey there - stealth requires a patched openvpn binary that’s not available in another app other than TG Client, its quite possible we could support in DD-WRt or tomato but there is a couple of small issues with that we need to try workaround.

Regards

Hey there - stealth requires a patched openvpn binary that’s not available in another app other than TG Client, its quite possible we could support in DD-WRt or tomato but there is a couple of small issues with that we need to try workaround.

Regards

Is there a source code available which you used for your client? If so, I guess it simply needs to be compiled for correct architecture, ie. mips and it would work on all routers which can run openwrt or any other wrt.

Do you use obfs or do you use something else? Because if not, I would like to compare/find out if your stealth openvpn binary works better with ddwrt :), then my obfs+openvpn which I use for my TorGuardWRT. Beside that, maybe somebody could post mips binary (i guess torguard routers have one on them) so that I can test it and it's performance on openwrt. I does work very well with CFW too.

Here some info, will not write a guide now...

As first, using ns_cert_type server (which is used with torguards configs) you prevent MitM attacks (Man in the middle). 

serverside config (yours maybe looks similar, but for your clients this part is not that important, its just for better understanding)

option port 1913
        option 'client_config_dir' '/etc/openvpn/ccd' # client config push settings for each client
        list 'route' '192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0' # route each client network on the server
        list 'route' '192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0' # update server /etc/config/openvpn with client/s network
        list 'route' '192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0' # restart router/openvpn to update routing table on server
        your other option settings

serverside Obfs:

obfsproxy --log-file=/tmp/obfs.log --log-min-severity=debug obfs2 --dest=127.0.0.1:1913 --shared-secret=test server 0.0.0.0:12345

Firewall (Allow traffic):

iptables -A input_rule -i tun0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A forwarding_rule -i tun0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A forwarding_rule -o tun0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A output_rule -o tun0 -j ACCEPT

clientside (/etc/openvpn/ccd/mr13u)

your config options
socks-proxy-retry
socks-proxy 127.0.0.1 54321

Clientside , Contents of mr13u

iroute 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0    # network behind openvpn client
push dhcp-option DNS 172.23.239.1
push dhcp-option DOMAIN lan
push route 172.23.239.0 255.255.255.0 # server->client to update client's routing table dynamically for each network which has to be routed over openvpn tunnel

Clientside obfs:

obfsproxy --log-file=/tmp/obfs.log --log-min-severity=debug obfs2 --shared-secret=test socks 127.0.0.1:54321

• Like 1

Support

Do you use obfs or do you use something else? Because if not, I would like to compare/find out if your stealth openvpn binary works better with ddwrt :), then my obfs+openvpn which I use for my TorGuardWRT. Beside that, maybe somebody could post mips binary (i guess torguard routers have one on them) so that I can test it and it's performance on openwrt. I does work very well with CFW too.

Here some info, will not write a guide now...

As first, using ns_cert_type server (which is used with torguards configs) you prevent MitM attacks (Man in the middle). 

serverside config (yours maybe looks similar, but for your clients this part is not that important, its just for better understanding)

option port 1913
        option 'client_config_dir' '/etc/openvpn/ccd' # client config push settings for each client
        list 'route' '192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0' # route each client network on the server
        list 'route' '192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0' # update server /etc/config/openvpn with client/s network
        list 'route' '192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0' # restart router/openvpn to update routing table on server
        your other option settings

serverside Obfs:

obfsproxy --log-file=/tmp/obfs.log --log-min-severity=debug obfs2 --dest=127.0.0.1:1913 --shared-secret=test server 0.0.0.0:12345

Firewall (Allow traffic):

iptables -A input_rule -i tun0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A forwarding_rule -i tun0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A forwarding_rule -o tun0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A output_rule -o tun0 -j ACCEPT

clientside (/etc/openvpn/ccd/mr13u)

your config options
socks-proxy-retry
socks-proxy 127.0.0.1 54321

Clientside , Contents of mr13u

iroute 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0    # network behind openvpn client
push dhcp-option DNS 172.23.239.1
push dhcp-option DOMAIN lan
push route 172.23.239.0 255.255.255.0 # server->client to update client's routing table dynamically for each network which has to be routed over openvpn tunnel

Clientside obfs:

obfsproxy --log-file=/tmp/obfs.log --log-min-severity=debug obfs2 --shared-secret=test socks 127.0.0.1:54321

We can certainly send you the binary if your up for testing it ? :)

Regards

this would be great, thx