TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
Mac 10.11

How dangerous is giving osascript permission? (LITE v3.55)

Rate this topic

Mac 10.11

Like many of you, I've received the osacript permission error after the latest update to 3.55 on my Mac OSX. (You'd have to type in your password to give it access to TorGuard LITE.)

Here's the full text: "osascript wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this"

I managed to download the previous version 3.54, and now it only asks for that permission once. (The new version kept on asking for it whenever you exit/reboot)

All this is great and all, but what exactly are the ramifications for giving osascript the permission to do whatever it needs to do? Is there something in the back-end that might get permanently screwed up if I uninstall TorGuard, or whatever? I'm kind of worried that I may have permanently altered the network settings or some other script...

Thoughts?

Support

Hello

The osascript message happens when the OS file handle settings haven't been properly modified for whatever reason.

Its not dangerous when executing torguard.

Regards

Mac 10.11

Hello

The osascript message happens when the OS file handle settings haven't been properly modified for whatever reason.

Its not dangerous when executing torguard.

Regards

Right, I understand that it's safe when executing TorGuard, but what happens when I uninstall TorGuard later in the future?

If I "accept" the osascript to properly modify the OS settings, then I would've changed something that normally isn't supposed to be modified.

(For example, this is a crazy scenario — but say I set the settings so that TorGuard disables WiFi access automatically if it disconnects to your servers. But ... then I uninstalled TorGuard. Wouldn't  my WiFi port be forever disconnected since that was the last settings? I would have to manually go into a script or something in order to enable it again. 

I guess a better question would be: if I quit using TorGuard or if I uninstall it, would whatever that was modified in the osascript changes be restored back to default settings?