TorGuard

DNS issues with dd-wrt and policy based routing

Rate this question

utahguyiam

Question

utahguyiam

So I have an issue I can't figure out via google. Hoping someone here can help. 

Here's my situation:

I followed the guide in the sticky to set up my torrent machine to be the only computer on my network behind the VPN. I manually set up Torguard using the more current DD-wrt instructions in the Torguard support area. I then set up policy based routing using the 192.168.1.xx/32 command, and input the firewall setting as instructed in the sticky. For a while, everything worked right. If the VPN was down or disabled, the rest of the network continued to work, and my torrent machine was cut off. 

However, now, my torrent machine works as instructed, but the rest of my network gets DNS errors and won't connect to anything outside of the local network. 

I set up the router to use openDNS, which resolved that problem, and now everything is working as it should, except that when I do a DNS leak check, it shows all of my connections going through google servers on both the Torrent machine and the machines that are not behind the VPN. 

Is this normal behavior, or do I need to tweak something to put the VPN machine back behind Torguard DNS servers? 

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet