TorGuard

10Gbit Premium Network (USA only)?

Rate this question

NetBoy2020

Question

I see this as an available $20/month add-on in the US, but can't seem to find anything about it anywhere. Can anybody speak to it?

I am in Ventura County California, connect to TorGuard Los Angeles, and see about 130Mbps on my 350Mbps connection with Gigabit ethernet equipment. I might consider paying this to be able to keep the VPN on 24/7 without slowing down. The speeds are great, but when isn't more speed better?

10 answers to this question

Hey Netboy

This add-on basically provides you with a few 10Gbps servers to use as you please, they can be used with all VPN protocols we offer apart from SSTP.

Regards

i have a question.

as of right now I have a 40mbps download connection from my ISP.

im not sure if i would get more speed or it will always have a fast connection 30+mbps 24/7

some servers i get 15 to 25mbps  most of the time i get 32mbps    if i get this 19.99 plan will it always be 32mbps  24.7?

or is this plan mostly use for people that have a 10gbps ISP

Thanks in advance

Garm84

Hey Netboy

This add-on basically provides you with a few 10Gbps servers to use as you please, they can be used with all VPN protocols we offer apart from SSTP.

Regards

i have a question.

as of right now I have a 40mbps download connection from my ISP.

im not sure if i would get more speed or it will always have a fast connection 30+mbps 24/7

some servers i get 15 to 25mbps  most of the time i get 32mbps    if i get this 19.99 plan will it always be 32mbps  24.7?

or is this plan mostly use for people that have a 10gbps ISP

Thanks in advance

Garm84

Hello,

Yes you would most likely get constant high speeds through these servers :)

Regards

Hello,

Yes you would most likely get constant high speeds through these servers :)

Regards

so pretty much you  saying is ill never get 10 to 15mbps connection again it always be my 32mbps ?

If thats the case it's really worth it.

On 4/10/2016 at 11:00 PM, NetBoy2020 said:

I see this as an available $20/month add-on in the US, but can't seem to find anything about it anywhere. Can anybody speak to it?

I am in Ventura County California, connect to TorGuard Los Angeles, and see about 130Mbps on my 350Mbps connection with Gigabit ethernet equipment. I might consider paying this to be able to keep the VPN on 24/7 without slowing down. The speeds are great, but when isn't more speed better?

Hello netboy,

when it comes to encrypted speed, its all about the hardware, at least in my experience. 

I was stuck on around 80Mbit with TG on a 200Mbit line with my older rig, no matter what settings, protocols etc. I used. And I tried everything I could think of.

With my new rig I max out a 300Mbit line on non-10Gbit-servers. So if you want speed, make sure your hardware is up to the task!

I still use some 10Gbit servers from time to time for other stuff, so feel free to try out the 10Gbit network. Its great!

3 hours ago, JerkPork said:

Are you able to confirm if the 10 Gbps network are blocked by video streaming services?

Hey JerkPork,

I can at least confirm the 10Gbit network servers in the US of A are working with Netflix. Didn't try out any other streaming services.

Windows PC only - If you don't mind the hassle of paying for some PC speed-up software, over the years, I have been using Auslogics BoostSpeed mainly for one thing - It's Automatic Internet Optimization feature - Worth the money just for that - It has the most comprehensive and individually tested net. tweaks that I am aware of. It has other useful features but be wary of using the more advanced functionality = 2 OS image restores (later), especially if you choose more ambitious settings  - Btw, my fault for running Windows OS preview configs.

So far, I have tried various alternatives, including cfosspeed v12.01 and Speed Guide's TCP Optimizer (Both are good pieces of software), to date none have given me the network and protocol throughput boost that the attached list of 45 tweaks did - Plus, they were native OS tweaks on Windows 11 preview release!

More Background...

[[ Note, Even though below scenario are for lower speeds, they still are applicable for higher speed environments ]]

Via my TorGuard VPN config (with dedicated U.S. IP), I ran extensive speed benchmarks using Ookla's Speedtest website against a U.S. L.A. close-proximity server. The throughput outcome was: cfosspeed gave me 2x faster download, marginally better upload speed (I think about 1.5-2x faster), while BoostSpeed tweaks gave me >3x faster download and >2x faster upload (The upload boost surprised me the most).

My baseline was about  ~2.5 Mbps download / ~1 Mbps upload  (after three re-runs, for improved result reliability)

cfosspeed was about  ~6.8 Mbps download / ~2 Mbps upload  (after three re-runs)

BoostSpeed OS/Net Tweaks was about  ~10-13 Mbps download / ~3-4 Mbps upload  (after three re-runs)

Tip: Choose BoostSpeed's profiling option of 1Mbps-5Mbps (for local connections). I have tried the profile option >5Mbps and I didn't like seeing changes that deviated too much from what Speed Guide's TCP Optimizer would recommend. Also, there were only about 5-10 tweaks recommended (vs. the broader and more impactful 45 tweaks).

In the end my realization was, I can now genuinely share my plex.tv content with my remote family via locally NAT'd router that's bypassed with a TorGuard VPN tunnel to a dedicated public IP, therefore directly accessible content with decent upload capability from my side via the VPN tunnel.

Speed-Boost_TCP-Auto-Optimised_with_VPN--pub.pdf

On 4/10/2016 at 11:00 PM, NetBoy2020 said:

You might consider instead taking private/stream ip which should give you 1GB if it is well interconnected. 10Gbit servers do give 9,8Gbit on up and down when connected over vultr, hetzner, google, amazon and some more. If the server is not well interconnected, like in case of yandex with EU, then speeds can drop, yandex cloud gets not more than 200Mbits with any tg server in EU despite that they have 4Gbit connection and they get over 1Gbit with any US server which seems to be better interconnected despite much longer distance.

So far, my advice is actually to take 10Gbit only if you have >=1Gbit connection, however, most shared servers should give you at least 600-700Mbit/s if they are close to you. Lately I saw different products, where one includes 10Gbit addon, best is if you test it for a week or two, then you will know better what TorGuard can offer specifically for your connection.

I do max. out of any connection, be it fibre 500Mbuts or lte, in most cases speeds are better than without vpn, simply as those providers have bad ass filtering and shaping, using vpn does in many cases get around those restrictions and one gets bandwidth which you paid for.

Here is iperf3 test with 1Gbit (LTE, 5G) connection to a server 2000km away which is connected to torguards stream ip which is again 2000km away, stream ip is not 10Gbit:

iperf3 -c iperf.worldstream.nl -t 60 -P 8 -i 0
[SUM]   0.00-60.00  sec  4.88 GBytes   698 Mbits/sec  188881             sender
[SUM]   0.00-60.05  sec  4.85 GBytes   694 Mbits/sec                  receiver

I get actually worse results with 10Gbit server than with that stream ip, it really depends from how networks are connected to each other. I have no clue which provider you use in US, but you might let TorGuard know which one it is, so they actually might be able to offer you best possible server.

Also, speedtest is not really reliable, use better iperf3, above I used worldstream server which is 10Gbit (As I got 19Gbit with a 20Gbit connection, I assume worldstream is  probably >=20Gbit server), if you test with EU, another fast 10Gbit server is from wtnet. You can find here, or here, or simply over search engines for more servers, normally you could also ask your ISP if they offer iperf service (which many ISP's do).

Once again, best get in contact with TorGuard to find out which networks are better connected with your ISP and which maybe not that well.

Hope that helps.