TorGuard
TheBatman

Netflix (other than usa)

Rate this topic

TheBatman

Hi,

Is there anyway of using the vpn service to access netflix from different regions.

Not just the USA but other regions such as Japan and Brazil. (Japanese one has a lot of content not on usa)

I understand that you can purchase static ips for these regions but this is at an extra cost.

Is there anyway to get around the netfix 'you seem to be using a proxy/unblocker service' error message with the current vpn servers?

bellyfuss1

From my brief conversations with a support representative I believe you are out of luck. I was initially told that region unlocking would be unaffected, but then once he realized that I wanted to access the Mexican version I was told that I need to purchase additional services(dedicated Mexican IP) to do so. The service rep then promptly ended the chat without notice so I couldn't discuss much more or rate him up/down.

You could try asking if they have a dedicated Japanese IP you could use

I've since submitted a support ticket to see if a tech might have a better answer for us, but so far it looks like the claims of region unblocking being unaffected are completely false with regard to regions outside of the US. I wonder if there are any alternative services that won't cost me another $60 on top of my VPN subscription and reenable region unblocking?

bcompanda

From my brief conversations with a support representative I believe you are out of luck. I was initially told that region unlocking would be unaffected, but then once he realized that I wanted to access the Mexican version I was told that I need to purchase additional services(dedicated Mexican IP) to do so. The service rep then promptly ended the chat without notice so I couldn't discuss much more or rate him up/down.

You could try asking if they have a dedicated Japanese IP you could use

I've since submitted a support ticket to see if a tech might have a better answer for us, but so far it looks like the claims of region unblocking being unaffected are completely false with regard to regions outside of the US. I wonder if there are any alternative services that won't cost me another $60 on top of my VPN subscription and reenable region unblocking?

If this is true that would be very, very disappointing. I signed up today for several reasons, this one (accessing catalogues outside the US) being near the top of the list. 

Any updates from either of you two, or anyone else dealing with this problem, would be greatly appreciated.

TheBatman

After speaking with support, there are also ways to unblock uk and germany content at the moment. (so usa, uk, germany so far)

I asked about other regions and they told me that they do plan on setting this up as well.

So hopefully we will get more soon.

TheBatman

After speaking with support, there are also ways to unblock uk and germany content at the moment. (so usa, uk, germany so far)

I asked about other regions and they told me that they do plan on setting this up as well.

So hopefully we will get more soon.

I can confirm there are now France, Italy, Japan and Canada also.

wildpig1234

are you saying despite using vpn service somehow you still cant view geo blocked video?  does that mean the content providers are tracking down vpn server ip and blacklisting them?  is this only limited to Netflix or others like youtube also doing it?

TheBatman

are you saying despite using vpn service somehow you still cant view geo blocked video?  does that mean the content providers are tracking down vpn server ip and blacklisting them?  is this only limited to Netflix or others like youtube also doing it?

As far as I know just Netflix and there has been a big push to identify ip ranges used by vpn servers and block them. - Now affecting almost all providers

Torguard seems to be providing solutions to this, whereas others such as PIA are not making any effort to get around this and say that their aim is not to provide netflix access from other regions.

wildpig1234

I actually don't think it just Netflix anymore.  I think google/youtube is also starting to do it.  Maybe at least for the content providers on youtube that aggressively hound them to enforce it.  I can prove that to you right now.  Try to play this Italy video after login into torguard Italy generic vpn server it.torguardvpnaccess.com :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX7JRGomGls

You will see that the video is blocked.  I used to be able to play several geoblocked video from this youtube place but that generic vpn server no longer work for any Italy restricted youtube video.  you can also see the effect when you hit the home button that you are taken to google.com and not google.it.

Torguard was nice enough to help out by giving me different servers that haven't been blacklisted by google. So I can now view those videos again but I wonder how long it will be before google bans the new servers ;(...

jjjj

Haha, its Doha-Katar in video, such a symptomatically and indicative.

wildpig1234

Doha katar?  The video is on italian youtube channel restricted to italy....