TorGuard
SlimDusty

Using Torguard to access USA Netflix from Australia on TV

Rate this question

Question

SlimDusty

Hi, 

I have had a quick look around the forums and KB but can't seem to find any info. 

Want to access the USA Netflix from Australia via my WD HDTV box so I can watch it on the big screen. Possible? Can someone point me in the right direction of a 'how-to'.

Cheers.

6 answers to this question

Befuzzled

Hey mate,

There are generally only two ways to achieve what you want. VPN or Smart DNS.

VPN

For this method you need to have a DD-WRT router as only those will allow you to configure your router to apply your VPN configuration to it. There is the drawback of all your network data will be going over the VPN though and depending on what the connection is like it will more thn likely be considerable slower than your typically video streaming you currently experience.

Smart DNS

This would probably be the best solution for your situation as you just need to remove the current DNS Server configuration and use the ones provide by torguard when you purchase their Smart DNS service. Save the configuration and boom done. Just make sure you use the right location

This is considerably faster than the VPN solution and easier to configure with your device. 

*Note: With Netflix cracking down on geoblockers this methods may soon not work 

Best of luck

• Like 2

robodonster

Correction here to add a penny, SmartDns service is not working at this moment it should be very soon.

kniq

Similarly in singapore, netflix has blocked smartDNS, but I can't even access the US with torguard VPN.  any suggestions?  Im using google DNS 8.8.8.8 to bypass the smartDNS service and I am clearly bypassing bc I can not get other US content unless using VPN.  Just netlix that is blocking me.

Cathalm8

Smart DNS

This would probably be the best solution for your situation as you just need to remove the current DNS Server configuration and use the ones provide by torguard when you purchase their Smart DNS service. Save the configuration and boom done. Just make sure you use the right location

This is considerably faster than the VPN solution and easier to configure with your device. 

*Note: With Netflix cracking down on geoblockers this methods may soon not work 

Hi Befuzzled, thanks for this info. I was wondering is there any guides for setting up this Smart DNS on an xbox one (i want to watch netflix US on it in Australia) . I have recently signed up to the VPN bundle with torguard and I am not even sure if the replacement DNS server config is included in this package.

neverman0

Has anyone found anything that works bypassing Netflix's geoblocking?  Any SmartDNS that works?  I want to view recently launched Netflix Japan from the US.  I can get in using Torguard VPN Stealth with Stealth Proxy Japanese connection, and log in to Netflix Japan fine, but still being geoblocked.  This blows massive painful chunks.  

wotmate

I'm having the same issue. Bought the black Friday special, because everything I'm reading about Torguards stealth vpn is that things like Netflix can't even see it as a vpn..... But Netflix is blocking me, and support webchat is telling me that I have to pay more money for a dedicated up.