TorGuard

Newbie question. VPN and Proxy

Rate this question

mcarroll91

Question

4 answers to this question

I would also like to know this. I was able to setup the proxy in utorrent. Is there a need to connect using the vpn software as well or can I just use leave the proxy in utorrent and do not connect the vpn software?

If using a VPN is there any reason to still set up the proxy also?  Does the proxy bypass the VPN if set up?  Many thanks in advance for your time.

I would also like to know this. I was able to setup the proxy in utorrent. Is there a need to connect using the vpn software as well or can I just use leave the proxy in utorrent and do not connect the vpn software?

It all depends on what you're trying to achieve. You might want to try to think of it this way, when you're using a VPN all the data that flows between you and the VPN server is encrypted so theoreticaly no one can know(for example your ISP) what that data is. If you're using a proxy the data that flows between you and the proxy is not encrypted so it can be examined/identified.

Both the VPN and the proxy hide your IP address as in both cases you connect first to the VPN server or the proxy server before it connects to the outside sources for you and passes the data back to you.

Support

Hello

Just to add, using both vpn and proxy together can greatly reduce your speed and cause quite a few issues - we will always recommend vpn over proxy due to this being a much secure option, a proxy is faster yes but as kalamazoo pointed out the traffic in between is not encrypted.

Regards

I personally use both becouse proxy never drops vpn can and i donot trust kill switch to protect me.

proxy will always keep you hidden with uttorrent set and forget if proxy stops uttorrent will not connect.

Another note if using proxy only make sure you disable ip version 6 on you pc or you could be identified by ip 6 address.

if you have google fiber  verizon fios i know these have it fully enabled on there network.

Google check ip version 6 for websites that can check this for you.