TorGuard

Can my ISP still figure out who I am due to MAC Address

Rate this topic

TheBurnedMan95

TheBurnedMan95

Hello I have a couple of concerns about VPN. I actually started my services last night and they are great It actually works I was able to use it for torrenting and what not. And I told one of my neighbor who is more computer incline than myself and he told me that my ISP (Comcast) or a 3rd party who is snooping relaying the info back to comcast that it MAY be me using torrents due to my MAC Address. So Im wondering is this true or is Torguard protecting me from that by dropping or spoofing my MAC Address? I AM not computer savvy at all so any help would be appreciated if you can make it simple as possible if need be thank you.

-TheBurnedMan

Your ISP will always know where you are, otherwise where will they send your internet bill? TorGuard VPN spoofs your IP so the servers/peers you connect to won't be able to see what your IP is because they will see the IP of TorGuard's server. If you decide to use a cipher, your ISP shouldn't be able to see what traffic goes through them from/to your computer. There is no reason to spoof the Mac of your modem, in fact Comcast needs to know it for your internet to work.

TheBurnedMan95

Thanks userOfTG been kinda worried about my ISP figuring this out just in case if TorGuard may be leaking my MAC. But since you cleared this up for me and also with the help of TorGuard CS i feel at ease again thank you.