TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
titooo7

Which one is the best router to use as OpenVPN client?

Rate this question

Question

titooo7

Hi,

I bought an Archer C7 v2 router so I could use it as OpenVPN client.
That way the best speeds I maanged to get were 8Mbps down / 16 up.

After testing a lot of differnet configuration and searching in Google the experience of other users with the same router I came to the conclusion that most routers can't deliver more than 10Mbps when they work as openvpn clients.

So does anyone know any openwrt router that can deliver at least 30Mbps download speed when it works as OpenVPN client?

thank you

5 answers to this question

Anders

I can get up to my max speed (50 mb/s) on an ASUS AC68U depending on time of day. It's not a sure thing but it is possible...

If I had it to do over again I'd choose the model 2 levels higher in the Asus line. Really you want as much CPU as you can possibly afford in your consumer level router - or just run the client app on each computer...

FallGuy

I've been using an asus rt-ac87 for the past few weeks and I can 36 to 38 mbps. Same speeds that I was getting with the viscosity app on a Windows pc. I have a 45 megabit service.

mickyarams

Hi,

I bought an Archer C7 v2 router so I could use it as OpenVPN client.

That way the best speeds I maanged to get were 8Mbps down / 16 up.

After testing a lot of differnet configuration and searching in Google the experience of other users with the same router I came to the conclusion that most routers can't deliver more than 10Mbps when they work as openvpn clients.

So does anyone know any openwrt router that can deliver at least 30Mbps download speed when it works as OpenVPN client?

thank you

I am getting 65Mbps on a 76Mbps connection using a Netgear R7000 router, Xvortex merlin firmware, overclocked to 1400Mhz. In order for you to get the maximum speed from your vpn router, you need to turn off other services like firewall, usb support,dlna and others that you don't need. If you need those services, use another router as the gateway.

Take a look at Linksys WRT1900ACS or WRT1200AC to get 80-90Mbps

I got over 20 both sides with aes-256-cbc sha512. I achieve this with c5 and c7 (same device actually).

Check your firewall and network configuration and the less you use Software firewall, the better your connection will be, you can start with opening ports which you connect too (for aes-128-cbc sha256 it would be 1912). Next do set redirect for these ports in both directions, for incoming and outgoing. I you set this correctly and if your settings are without error, you should reach, I would say at least double of your current speed. Try it :), here you can find some configs too if you want to compare it to your settings....