TorGuard
punjabi408

Vpn with plex setup help

Rate this question

Question

punjabi408

Hi i am trying to set up my vpn with a plex server.  All i have been running into is problems.  So first i started to use my vpn with openvpn windows client and everything was working fine.  I then sent a request to open a port for plex and received a .ovpn file for viscocity or settings for torguard client.  I decided to try viscocity and only experienced problems of it having to keep reconnecting randomly.  I took the ovpn file and used it with openvpn cleint and i got vpn and plex working.  When i try to connect the next day i keep getting connection failed in openvpn (The local and remote VPN endpoints must exist within the same 255.255.255.252 subnet).  I opend a ticket and the most help i got was do i have a router that supports vpn and to use it  Any advice and help would be appreciated.  Sorry for the long rant, just frustrated.

I am running winodws 10

I do have a asus rtn66u (with merlin) - using as access point right now might set up as a vpn router but im worried that the internet speeds would be very slow

17 answers to this question

Support

Hello

Can you let me know your port forward IP please, i know the issue your having and will be able to fix that right away for you.

Regards

Support

Ok, did you login with the config we sent you ?

Regards

punjabi408

yes i logged in with the config and was able to go online the first day but ever since then i just get connection failed only when using the config file

punjabi408

ok i submit a ticket. Something odd that happens this is only happining if i lose the connection.  Like if pc is turned off or chat client crashes.  I can reopen the same port and ip address and the config file will work for the day, but as soon as i turn comp off or if its disconnected for a while i cannot reconnect to that config file

Support

Hi punjab - what software are you using to connect to the config ?

punjabi408

i tired both openvpn and also your guys client.   Thank you got the problem fixed

Support

Excellent, can you share what your issue was ?

Regards

punjabi408

Honestly i sent my log to tech support and they changed something on there end and it started to work

Support

Honestly i sent my log to tech support and they changed something on there end and it started to work

Glad to hear it!

Regards

dedjer

can someone explain how this was resolved. i am having the same issue getting plex running behind vpn. i've already requested port forwarding but it doesn't work for me.

Support

can someone explain how this was resolved. i am having the same issue getting plex running behind vpn. i've already requested port forwarding but it doesn't work for me.

Hi - dedjer - did you receive your port forward activation email ?

Regards

OzzyC

Same issue here, how are they fixing it? anything i can do on my side?

weanedKing

Im experiencing the same issue. What is the fix?

Mongoose69

Same issue here. 

It used to work, but now it detects it's behind a double NAT.

According to Plex, that includes CGNAT (Carrier grade NAT) which is what I guess is happening here

Support
On 24/03/2018 at 2:11 AM, Mongoose69 said:

Same issue here. 

It used to work, but now it detects it's behind a double NAT.

According to Plex, that includes CGNAT (Carrier grade NAT) which is what I guess is happening here

I would advise submitting a support ticket we can help sort that out: https://torguard.net/submitticket.php

Many users don't connect to the correct port/protocol outlined in the email which is the problem.

Regards