TorGuard

Slow VPN (especially with BitTorrent)

Rate this question

JohnnyWaters

Question

JohnnyWaters

I got myself the TorGuard VPN last night. It's been something I've been meaning to do for ages, and my ISP just started throttling my BitTorrent downloads so I decided to go for it.

TorGuard has had no effect on my torrent download speeds, which are reaching breakneck speeds of 10kb/s (sarcasm).

I don't know if it working right or not, I've tried connecting to various servers... tried TCP and UDP. No effect.

I'm currently based in Poland (if this is of any relevance), although I move a lot.

Is the problem with BitTorrent? or something else?

8 answers to this question

Hello

Well as we all know speeds can be affected by many many things so is best to start with the basic things first:

1) Connect you tell us your line speed?

2) What OS/CPU are you running?

3) Do you connect to locations geographically close to you ?

3) What cipher are you running ?

Best Regards

JohnnyWaters

Hello

Well as we all know speeds can be affected by many many things so is best to start with the basic things first:

1) Connect you tell us your line speed?

2) What OS/CPU are you running?

3) Do you connect to locations geographically close to you ?

3) What cipher are you running ?

Best Regards

1. At home... my speed should be in theory 50mbs. Because I sit a bit further away... it is about 20mbs. Through TorGuard... it operates at about 5mbs, which is reasonable, but BitTorrent is almost 10kb/s. I should do more tests on this with better controled variables but I haven't had time for it yet.

2. Operating System: Windows 7 Professional

Laptop model: Dell Precision 7510

Processor:  Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1535M [email protected] 2.90GHz

3. I've tried all kinds. Yes, close to me (Romania and Russia, Switzerland), and far away (Australia, USA, etc.) Very little difference in BitTorrent. I didn't run Ookla speedtest though on all of them, but when I did, the speed was similar to what I mentioned above, about 5mb/s

4. I've tried all cyphers. AES-128bit, 252bit, BF-CBC. I don't really know much about the differences between them yet. What I haven't tried though is not running any cypher at all.

JohnnyWaters

Best submit a ticket and have staff have a look for you https://torguard.net/submitticket.php

Regards

Ok, thanks. I'm going to investigate my own laptop first. I've just moved back the UK, am using a different internet connection, without VPN turned on.

BitTorrents are at identical speeds, and I'm told the ISP doesn't throttle the speeds.

I have quite a new laptop, Precision 7510, so I suppose it's perhaps possible that some driver or other has messed up? I don't know why this would only affect BitTorrents, but in theory anything is possible.

Ok, thanks. I'm going to investigate my own laptop first. I've just moved back the UK, am using a different internet connection, without VPN turned on.

BitTorrents are at identical speeds, and I'm told the ISP doesn't throttle the speeds.

I have quite a new laptop, Precision 7510, so I suppose it's perhaps possible that some driver or other has messed up? I don't know why this would only affect BitTorrents, but in theory anything is possible.

If it only affects torrents i normally assume the modem but there is a lot of variables that it could be - i would see if you have an update for your network card to begin with - try testing a hard wired connection to your modem and compare it to wireless.

Also try to disable any firewall on the modem side for testing sakes and check to see if theres any firmware updates.

Let us know how you get on

Regards
JohnnyWaters

If it only affects torrents i normally assume the modem but there is a lot of variables that it could be - i would see if you have an update for your network card to begin with - try testing a hard wired connection to your modem and compare it to wireless.

Also try to disable any firewall on the modem side for testing sakes and check to see if theres any firmware updates.

Let us know how you get on

Regards

I've solved it. I changed some settings in BitTorrent which affected stability of downloads. I would often fiddle with settings in the past, and never had this problem... so it didn't occur to me in the beginning. I increased in the number of maximum active downloads... and BitTorrent didn't like it. Reinstalling it restored default settings and everything works fine.

Wasn't a problem with TorGuard.

I've solved it. I changed some settings in BitTorrent which affected stability of downloads. I would often fiddle with settings in the past, and never had this problem... so it didn't occur to me in the beginning. I increased in the number of maximum active downloads... and BitTorrent didn't like it. Reinstalling it restored default settings and everything works fine.

Wasn't a problem with TorGuard.

Glad to hear that, thanks for reporting back.

Regards