TorGuard
Andrew Thomson

Windows 10 and TAP install Issues Grrrr

Rate this question

Question

Andrew Thomson

Hello

Cannot get TAP to install under windows 10 ive tried everything including disabling Kaspersky as well

please help

8 answers to this question

jjjj

Hi, found some article, don't know it works, didn't you tried that yet? But actually Viscosity use their own adapter, maybe TG Lite use TAP adapter.

Windows 10 - No Tap Adapters found

Some builds of Windows 10 has broken OpenVPN TAP Adapter

No rebooting required:

1. add string value/data ComponentId/tap0901 (REG_SZ) with regedit value name=ComponentIdvalue data=tap0901
    to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\[0001]
    where [0001] stands for the instance on your system in which you find the REG_SZ string with
    value name=ProductName
    value data=TAP-Windows Adapter V9
  2. disable and enable TAP-Windows Adapter V9 in device manager>network adapters to reinitialize the driver with the newly added ComponentId

Users with Kaspersky Internet Security install might still have issues after following this tutorial. 

In order to resolve - You will need to remove Kaspersky, reinstall the VPN / Tap drivers then install Kaspersky back.

1) completely removed the Kaspersky (2015/2016) with program http://media.kaspersky.com/utilities/ConsumerUtilities/kavremover.exe ;
2) Install the latest version of VPN application and or OpenVPN / Tun-TAP drives NDIS (6)

3) Install Kaspersky (http://www.kaspersky.com/product-updates);

dshippler

I tried this solution with no success. Anyone else found a resolution? I also could not get the TAP installer to complete on it's on either...

Hi, found some article, don't know it works, didn't you tried that yet? But actually Viscosity use their own adapter, maybe TG Lite use TAP adapter.

gobertorn

Yes I have the same issue..

Support

hH guys, do you run Kaspersky or Malwarebytes ? these are known to cause such problems, please try installing the following TAP driver if the installer fails to install it:

http://torguard.net/downloads/tap-windows-9.21.1.exe

If that does not work, let us know.

Regards

Support

Just a little update, if you have Kaspersky, you have to completely uninstall it then reboot to let it let you install the TAP driver, if that fails, do the following:

Please go to Device Manager", look for TorGuard TAP-Windows v9 adapter under Network Adapters and uninstall it. after that uninstall TG Client - then go into "Regedit" and deleted this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\NET

Reboot and retry please.

Regards

mtycholaz

Uninstalling the device worked for me. At first the Tap adapter would show under the networking devices, but after it failed during the install, it would move to the unknown devices list. I simply uninstalled the unknown device, and retried the installer.

beavis

Just chiming in that I had a similar issue and rolled back two Windows updates to get it resolved.  Something in the driver signing got all stupid between November 2015-January 2016, so I uninstalled the standard "Update to Windows 10" items and left everything else -- sorry, I don't remember the KB #s, but I wasn't really expecting it to work and was just mad at Windows 10 in general for being garbage.

Had originally tried the options in this thread, checking the INF files in the Windows system databases (verified in the driver install log files), manually forcing drivers through Device Manager, turning off driver signing, Safe Mode fresh installs, registry changes, etc., etc.  I figured I'd post what did it for me in case anyone else had the headache, since this was one of the first threads I found while scouring Google for an answer.

Cheers!

sepirioth

This worked for me, thanks! (windows 10 pro)