TorGuard

VPN doesn't stop ISP blocking certain sites

Rate this question

Glazooh

Question

Hello folks!

I may be going senile but I'm sure I used to be able to connect to any site after connecting to a VPN.

I could be mis-remembering as I have been using the P/Bay proxy links for so long, but I happened to try Demonoid today and got the message from the ISP...

ACCESS TO THE WEBSITES LISTED ON THIS PAGE HAS BEEN BLOCKED PURSUANT TO ORDERS OF THE HIGH COURT.

Have tried various servers on OpenVPN and Stealth, all with the same result.

Have set the option 'Disable IPv6 while VPN is connected' in Prefs | Advanced.

What am I doing wrong, or have I just lost the plot?

6 answers to this question

Annonymous

Yes you lost the plot now seek help :P

You cant use the stealth connections for piratebay but instead use the proxie servers with the torrent logo on them as they will work fine.

You should proberly use the swedish one located in Stockholm.

Works fine for me and i am Swedish born living in UK getting good speeds as well.

If you still have issues the its surely on your side as torguard works fine and isp cant detect what i am doing so i doubt they can with you while you use torguard...

Hello all, thanks, yes I have lost the plot. I thought I understood how VPN worked but obviously not.

I thought that once I had connected to a VPN server than whatever I did was issued from there, so don't understand how my ISP can intercept what I type. For instance if I am effectively moved to say, Iceland, by connecting to that proxy server and then try to connect to thepiratebay.se I can't see how my ISP can detect that.

Anyway it's not a problem as I use the pirate bay proxies, just wanted to understand.

I use socks5 and proxy.torguard.org in utorrent so I should be ok.

Hello folks!

I may be going senile but I'm sure I used to be able to connect to any site after connecting to a VPN.

I could be mis-remembering as I have been using the P/Bay proxy links for so long, but I happened to try Demonoid today and got the message from the ISP...

ACCESS TO THE WEBSITES LISTED ON THIS PAGE HAS BEEN BLOCKED PURSUANT TO ORDERS OF THE HIGH COURT.

Have tried various servers on OpenVPN and Stealth, all with the same result.

Have set the option 'Disable IPv6 while VPN is connected' in Prefs | Advanced.

What am I doing wrong, or have I just lost the plot?

Technically it's not the ISP that is blocking the site, it's the country (the ISP of the VPN server you were logged into has implemented a web site filter because they were legally required to).  I would guess that you were signed into a server based in Australia.  However, regardless of whether it was Australia or some other country, to get around this all you would need to do is switch the server you are connected to.