TorGuard
DFK61

vm with vpn to host vpn network setup

Rate this question

Question

DFK61

Hello all.

I am stuck trying to setup a vm + vpn, while also having the host on vpn as well. When i connect my vpn on the vm i am unable to browse the internet on the vm, until i disconnect the vm vpn then i am able to browse through the host's vpn. I have the vm adapter set to NAT. Has anybody ran into this already or is this even possible?  I am using virtualbox. 

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Support

Hello, yes this should be possible but did you try to set the DNS manually on the VM's interface ?

Regards

DFK61

Hi yes i've tried putting in the torguard dns server but i am still unble to browse the internet from the vm once the vpn connects.  I am using Windows 7 and viscosity for both vm and host. 

Support

If you disconnect host it starts to work ? have you tried a different protocol in VM such as pptp/l2tp ?

Kind Regards

DFK61

Hi

When i connect my vm to the openvpn client while my host is already connected with openvpn i lose internet access on the vm even though it tells me i am connected in the vm.  I have tried L2TP and SSTP and both seem to be working out for now, but i do see sudden disconnection drops from time to time using either.  I don't want to use PPTP due to its security concerns.  I guess i will stick with using L2TP and SSTP with my vm.  So it seems like using two openvpn sessions doesn't seem to work out then.