TorGuard
etnos

gateway-firewall settings to only allow VPN & prevent exposure?

Rate this topic

etnos

Hi,

I want to use VPN with for one of my servers (local). I set it up and it works as it should.
Now, I want to make sure that if the VPN connection gets interrupted, this server can't access the web at. In other words: I'm looking into blocking all traffic (in and out) that does not go to the VPN server. To be honest, the VPN is not worth much (in my eyes), if you can be certain you can't get exposed if the connection drops!

I thought this should be easy, just go and block everything in/outbound to that server using my hardware firewall/gateway and just allow access to the VPN host, let's say: melb.au.torguardvpnaccess.com

(and yes, I allow everything to and from that server, any protocol).

Well, no. Didn't work. The rule which should enable to communication to melb.au.torguardvpnaccess.com doesn't seem to be enough, the VPN can't get established. This tells me that the VPN needs to access something else other than just this one server to establish the connection and this is exactly what I would like to know: Which other hosts do I have to allow in my firewall in order for the VPN to work?

kind regards