TorGuard
WhosOnFirst

Selecting Fastest Server

Rate this question

Question

WhosOnFirst

Greetings!

I've been trying to determine if there is a way to pick the fastest server every time I launch Torguard LT or Torguard Visc.  Currently, I do it manually by connecting, running a speed test, disconnecting...rinse repeat.  Takes longer sometimes as the servers don't always connect quickly.

I would like to automate this and was wondering if any way to do this with either app.

The communities thoughts / opinions / advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

• Like 2

soliusthesun

Yeah it's kind of a downer. Any mods know anything of the status of this feature? 

Marco
21 hours ago, Mopatop said:

Seeing this feature abandoned for so long is making me question if I should be seeking another VPN provider.

I feel like TorGuard is seriously understaffed in software development department. Don't get me wrong, I am a satisfied customer. But reading these kind of feature request threads that date back to months or even years ago makes me think that.

Bensam123

Also looking for this feature. I actually chose Torguard over other VPNs because not only does it seem to offer the best speeds, also the lowest latency.

Kind of a side request, but people here are generally looking for bandwidth, I'm looking for lowest latency. If when this feature is implemented you could choose between the two that would be great. I would actually be willing to pay for servers that offer the lowest latency as well. I tried the 10Gbit package and it didn't do anything.

soliusthesun

It would be nice to get this feature implemented. It's been a while since we heard anything about it. Hell at this point I'd be glad to get a we're still working on it from someone from torguard. 

AnonMan

While I agree on all points, this is a hard feature to implement and to implement correctly.

Most other VPN services will choose five servers across the world and then narrow it down to one or two to pick your best server; they'll usually choose their fastest servers. It's just a simple algorithm to determine where the user is.

Some others will have it so you can do a ping test across all the servers (I find it'll generally freeze up since it's pinging 30+ servers at the same time).

This feature is really nice to have, but it is difficult to implement correctly.

I still want the speed and flexibility of the current client, and don't want to lose on security or speed we currently have to get this.

coagulative
On 10/5/2018 at 3:25 AM, soliusthesun said:

It would be nice to get this feature implemented. It's been a while since we heard anything about it. Hell at this point I'd be glad to get a we're still working on it from someone from torguard. 

Yes, I completely agree. I am coming from an other provider who has the live server details (latency, load etc) and provide the option for automated connection to the preferred server. I hugely miss this option in the torguard.

barcelona72

Are there any plans for this , surely it can't be that hard to implement.

Most top vpns already have this feature.

LuiP

Right. When will this be real ?

Just like express vpn is automatically choose the fastest/closets to you. How come Torguard docent have that feature.

I have been using Torguard since 2016 now and it works but i miss that feature and we need it now. We are in 2020 now.

Saw this discussion and decided to share my opinion too.

The only argument which speaks for this feature are users who want to just click and get fastest connection with a logic behind that you will get best possible server which in real world is actually very inaccurate and actually resulting in not getting you fastest possible server in many if not in most cases for servers showing up similar results (or being similar distance away). Major flow in that logic is probably different reasons for picking up your VPN provider, I would mean that most people who understand what for they need a vpn would pick up their provider by several points, major one would be server location being close as possible, then everything else like performance is on the checklist. By that, I actually do not want a client to use some randomly picked server adding me overhead for this calculation, I actually want to set exactly to which server I want to connect, to which I want to be connected as fallback connection as well as maybe fallback of the fallback, multiwan etc.. ., praising this feature reminds me on praising tamagotchi back then before it disappeared from kids hands.

Here some additional points which I would probably base my VPN choice on beside all those log/nolog policies and security/technology questions:

1. available server close to me (or closest country if I do not want VPN server to be in same country), thats where I look as first, as if there is no close server, then I would seek to look for a VPN provider which offers closest possible server.

2. Due to point 1, I normally have a list of servers which I will use and as some users pointed out, on openwrt and every other device you can run diagnostics and performance scripts as you wish, you simply wouldnt use torguard's client on openwrt router even if there would be one.

3. Ping results might differ, the longer the test takes, the higher is the failure rate of those calculations, even performance measure of your lan ports is affected by other devices.

4. I would never use that feature, as there are plenty other better options which include fallback etc... . Due to point 3, I would see it as junk in code and if shipped, probably better as separate bin/addon for the client as I think there would be small percentage of people using it.

5. If there are same servers on same domain, then you might want to check which one of those is probably fastest, however, I am not sure, but think that you will get assigned an address with smallest load, maybe @support can confirm if this is correct assumption, but if correct, then it anyway connects you to actually best performing server on that domain, which is in fact which you want, you do not want to have great ping from overloaded server and get connected to it simply because ping told you so, also, you do not want to wait minutes for detailed analysis of the performance, I assume this task to be done on TorGuard side and users does not need to care about it all.

6. Back then, many users suggested that it would be much better to see how loaded all those servers in a list are, and that is also something that can be done by TorGuard and not by their clients with their VPN-Clients. I fully agree with that point.

Hope my opinion does not hurt anybody.