TorGuard
nomad111

VPN-connection suddenly dying

Rate this question

Question

nomad111

Hi, it is happening to me constantly, whatever software I use (Viscosity, Tunnelblick, Torguard light etc), whatever server or whatever OS I use: After a while the Torguard (open-)vpn connection is dying. It does not disconnect, but the down- and upload speed has dropped to zero and stays so forever. What can the reason be? What can be done about it? Or is this normal? 

16 answers to this question

TorGuard Admin

Hi,

This is certainly not normal. TorGuard VPN connections are very stable and will stay connected for long periods on end.

Please try setting your DNS to a static address to see if this fixes your issue.

If it persists, let us know what VPN server is giving you this problem.

Regards

Admin

nomad111

Thanks for your answer. Where is it best to set the DNS settings? In the VPN-software or in my laptop's system preferences? Or both places?

I suppose I shall use Torguard Secure DNS  91.121.113.58 ? Thanks!

sr3tlaw

My big question:

What are the TorGuard Secure IPv6 DNS addresses???

Support

My big question:

What are the TorGuard Secure IPv6 DNS addresses???

Hello, these are not available yet but will be very soon on your dashboard :)

Regards

nomad111

Thanks for your answer. Where is it best to set the DNS settings? In the VPN-software or in my laptop's system preferences? Or both places?

I suppose I shall use Torguard Secure DNS  91.121.113.58 ? Thanks!

Somebody out there who knows the answer? Thanks

Support

Somebody out there who knows the answer? Thanks

In your laptops system preferences yes assuming your on mac osx >> Changing DNS on MAC OSX

and yes those are the correct DNS.

Regards

needshelp

hi. i keep having this exact problem, ive posted several times in these forums with no support. i have 2 paid services for torguard and i havnt had any luck with getting them to work, ive now been told to disable my antivirus ect bvut dont know what will protect me then? i maybe a computer n00b but i should at least get answered like everyone else..??

Elad

I'm having the same issue....

Opened up a ticket. If I find a solution I will post it here for all.

Elad

I decided to try and add an MTU value to my Viscosity options. I did this by right clicking on the connection, choosing edit, going to the traffic tab, and entering the value of 1300 into the MTU block. (and clicking save when finished)

I haven't had any ghostly disconnections since the change.

If I no longer update this post, consider this a solution!

Elad

Ok I got the ghost disconnect again. This is very annoying... not sure what to do.

Elad

Delete MTU 1300 and add "mssfix 1300" in the "Advanced" tab instead. That's what has helped me, see also https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=150

I don't use openVPN, so adding any script or commands in the advanced tab does nothing for me.

I never could get openVPN to work on my machine... not sure why. PPTP works though.

Elad

Ok, I have since messed around with openVPN - once again I could not get it to cooperate with my system. So I am back to using PPTP with infrequent disconnects. I guess I will just have to live with it. Better than the alternative....

Good luck to all who suffer the same problem.

Support

Ok, I have since messed around with openVPN - once again I could not get it to cooperate with my system. So I am back to using PPTP with infrequent disconnects. I guess I will just have to live with it. Better than the alternative....

Good luck to all who suffer the same problem.

Elad, are you still suffering this problem ? are you having the disocnnects via dd-wrt or via your desktop ? do you run any security software by chance, malwarbytes etc ?

Regards