TorGuard
dannydubya

Remote access to web server on VPN-connected machine

Rate this question

Question

dannydubya

I am attempting a setup in which all of the traffic to/from transmission-daemon goes through a VPN connection, but my Apache server is still always accessible from the outside world. So, on this server, I connected via OpenVPN to your Toronto server, and it seems that I can only access Apache from within my own network, but not outside of it. Requests appear to be going through to it, but no responses returned.

Is having a remotely accessible web server on the same machine doable at all (and if so, then how?), or am I strictly required to use a proxy instead in this case? (proxy is not ideal because Transmission does not support connecting through one, last I read...)

4 answers to this question

dannydubya

Well, I don't know what happened to the support in this forum (new user question: is it usually like this?), but I got around it by making an LXC container and running my VPN client and everything that uses it within the container. Just in case anyone else is dealing with this kind of issue... if there was another way around this I could've used, I'd still like to know what that is.

MrErr

I have a similar problem i want to be able to ssh to my pc from a remote location with my pc still connected to VPN. So if you found something new, please let me know :)

Support

Hello, sorry for the delay on this but you have to submit a ticket https://torguard.net/submitticket.php

And request that you have a port opened to get through vpn and access your webserver - all incoming ports are blocked by default on vpn.

Regards

mousecat

How to you use the forwarded port ovpn files in Linux? I tried it in Ubuntu Network Manager, and it says it connects but I can't get any connection to browse or anything.