TorGuard

No special characters in password?

Rate this topic

Willie

I was trying to use a complex password and received an error that I cannot use special characters, letters and numbers only?! Why would you not allow that, are they trying to make it easier for the nsa to crack our passwords? (or is this service a shadow company for nsa lol)

I agree.  To only accept numbers and letters for a password is THE most stupidest thing a company can do that you're supposed to trust with your security.

• 4 weeks later...
Support

Hello, this is only temporary, you can use other symbols, just certain ones where stopped on a temp basis, we will fix and remove the limits very soon.

Regards

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been 14 months. I just got told by support that an issue I had recently, requiring a password reset, may have been caused by an ongoing problem with non-alphanumeric characters. I included one in my new password by accident and it worked but not for all parts of TorGuard. This is what the support rep said after I discussed it some more, that there is now a small set of characters that still cause problems but not for all platforms.

However, it appears to go beyond platform. These forums are more sensitive to special characters than the OpenVPN client and that in turn is more sensitive than the main site login.

Here is my suggestion: Please document the specific characters that are still a problem for any authentication system. Then we can have more secure passwords and there will be more transparency in the solution.

In addition, these need to be documented for new customers when they are setting up a password along with any limits on length. I know it's embarrassing, but I almost asked for my money back over this. Also, I started seeing many more buggy issues as a result. If everything goes smoothly at signup, there will be greater trust and less paranoia on the part of customers. TG advertises VPN and Proxy as serious.

They should start acting like it. 14 months? are there bigger issues we should be worried about?

Please, show us, your customers, how committed you are to our security.

• 2 weeks later...
Support

Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay on this - your right we have multiple filters on separate areas of the site and backend, we just need to tie them all in, our backend upgrade has been put off for quite a while and we have now decided to set a date soon to get it all in sync and accept any characters needed.

Rest assured we are focusing on this now.

Regards

Support

Hey everyone, this should now be fixed - there is no char limit or character limit, if you do happen to find one let us know but i believe we should have them all.

Regards

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...
CryptoDigs

So, I've tried to set a password for the VPN service at least 10 - 15 times now...with no success.  I keep getting the error "& not allowed" no matter what combination of alphanumeric characters and symbols I use.  I have tried using the following web browsers:

• Brave (Chromium-based browser):
    • will not allow toggling of password visibility (i.e.- there is no way tp see what characters you enter)
    • every entry results in error: "& not allowed"
  • Firefox:
    • will not allow toggling of password visibility
  • Microsoft Edge:

There is also no confirmation of password available (i.e.- a box to input the password a second time in order to be sure it was input as intended).  This is especially important when the 'visibility' option is missing, since it is far to easy to input an unintended character when setting a new password.

I understand there were issues with using certain characters 5+ years ago, but that these issues were (supposedly) resolved.  So, have these issues as well as others) resurfaced, or is it just me having problems?

Anyone else having trouble like this?

(P.S. - I even had trouble purchasing the VPN service.  Neither the Brave browser, nor Firefox would work.  When using them, I kept getting an error, and the order would be cancelled.  I had to use Microsoft Edge for the order to go through properly!)

Result Example.jpg

Brainbleach

The answer to your question is in your screenshot.  The symbol "&" is not allowed.  Use something different.

CryptoDigs
3 hours ago, Brainbleach said:

The answer to your question is in your screenshot.  The symbol "&" is not allowed.  Use something different.

I figured that was what the error message meant. The only problem is that I NEVER used the '&' symbol.  That's why I said..."I keep getting the error "& not allowed" no matter what combination of alphanumeric characters and symbols I use."

(I get the same error message, using 3 different web browsers and a variety of password character combinations!)

CryptoDigs
18 hours ago, Ashutosh said:

@CryptoDigsCan you share any sample password that you tried and it failed?

Sorry for the delay... OK, I just tried another random password, and it also failed (with the same error message: '& not allowed').  Here is the password I just tried:

• Hwy36tR-Eb'Wu7X28
Dom1no

I just tested that password > Hwy36tR-Eb'Wu7X28

It does not like the apostrophe symbol >  '

if you remove it and just type Hwy36tR-EbWu7X28 ,,, it works fine. So now you know which symbol not to use.

CryptoDigs
20 minutes ago, Dom1no said:

I just tested that password > Hwy36tR-Eb'Wu7X28

It does not like the apostrophe symbol >  '

if you remove it and just type Hwy36tR-EbWu7X28 ,,, it works fine. So now you know which symbol not to use.

THANK YOU, Dom1no!!!  I think the apostrophe symbol was, indeed, in every password I had tried.  (Since the apostrophe worked in a TorGuard website password I used at one point, I figured it would surely work for the VPN service also...)

...Not sure why all the other buggy things are happening, but at least I can set a new VPN service password now!

Dom1no

You are Welcome :) 

I do think Torguard is doing their absolute best to Update things and Fix things and stuff, They have alot of Apps like IOS, Android , Mac , Windows etc - More than alot of other VPN's out there so they are likely handling things kinda like a couple things at a time. There is likely a long list of things to do so i figure just give them time and everything will work out.

I have been with them now for a few years and I'd give them a 10/10 personally i think they do pretty good, I have tried a few other providers and i am pretty Confident staying with Torguard for a long time, I only ever had one slightly negative experience in a support ticket where every time i asked about something i would get a reply but it didn't answer the question i was asking ..  after 2-3 attempts i figured it's not that important and just gave up but maybe that was just a communication error i might try again one day. Besides that though it has been smooth sailing for 4-5 years now and the support besides that has always been 10/10 it would be very hard Finding anything better IMO.

CryptoDigs

Thanks, Dom1no.  I appreciate you taking the time to give your candid review of the TorGuard service.  Definitely helpful to hear feedback like this from someone who has been with them for several years!