TorGuard
Phlash

BitTorrent setup through VPN

Rate this question

Question

Phlash

Using VPN specifically for private torrent downloading.

Followed Knowledge Base instructions and used the checkMyTorrent tool but error is "offline (timed out)" which isn't covered.

I have tried different proxy setups but cannot get it started.

Is there another guide or way to set bittorrent/utorrent up with Torguard VPN??

5 answers to this question

shel2000

I have the same problem, have only had torguard for 2 weeks and it seems to work when it wants to (which is not often). I am a newbie, so I must be doing something wrong I guess. Hopefully someone can steer us in the right direction with this.

Support

Hey guys - are you trying to setup the VPN AND the proxy together ?

Regards

KomputerEyes

I have my uTorrent (version 3.4.5, but it should work for many other versions) setup to use the Torguard VPN connection exclusively. I also have the killswitch setup to kill uTorrent if the connection is dropped, (ie. if I click on Disconnect.)

To setup Torguard to shutdown your uTorrent client if Torguard disconnects (accidental or deliberate):

1. You will want to open uTorrent in a state where it cannot communicate over the Internet, disable your network connections by disconnecting your Ethernet cable or closing your wireless connection.
  2. Open Torguard, but do not connect.
  3. Open 'More Settings...'
  4. In the 'App Kill' tab, check the box 'Terminate these applications when VPN disconnects'
  5. Click on 'Select...' (this will show a list of running applications)
  6. Scroll down to 'utorrent.exe' and select.
  7. Click on 'OK' (utorrent.exe will now show up in the list box of apps to kill if your Torguard client disconnects.)
  8. Click on 'Save'
  9. Test by re-enabling your network connection (with your torrents paused); Connect with Torguard; after a connection is established, disconnect and ensure that uTorrent client disappears.

Setup uTorrent to only use your Torguard VPN connection:

1. Open your uTorrent settings 'Preferences'.
  2. In the left sidebar, highlight 'Advanced'
  3. Scroll down to the middle where you see two entries labeled 'net.bind_ip' and 'net.outgoing_ip' (you will see a network address to the right)
  4. Select 'net.bind_ip' and enter "10.8.0.*" in the box for Value and select 'Set' (if your Torguard VPN client shows a different address then enter that, but put an asterisk (*) in the last position as a wild card)
  5. Select 'net.outgoing_ip' and enter "10.8.0.*" in the box for Value and select 'Set' (if your Torguard VPN client shows a different address then enter that, but put an asterisk (*) in the last position as a wild card)
  6. Both settings should now show 10.8.0.*
  7. Click on 'OK' to close the Preferences window.

Your uTorrent will now be set to ONLY use your Torguard VPN connection as long as it is in the address range of 10.8.0.1 to 10.8.0.254. If your Torguard client normally uses a 'Local IP' address outside of that range, then you will want to modify your uTorrent settings accordingly. If your Torguard connection is dropped, uTorrent should stop all torrent activity as it can no longer establish a connection using the Torguard address. Furthermore, Torguard is also setup to kill uTorrent if the Torguard disconnects. This double system should ensure that you never have to worry about your uTorrent client ever using your local ISP's address.

• Like 1

Geetz

...Your uTorrent will now be set to ONLY use your Torguard VPN connection as long as it is in the address range of 10.8.0.1 to 10.8.0.254. If your Torguard client normally uses a 'Local IP' address outside of that range, then you will want to modify your uTorrent settings accordingly. If your Torguard connection is dropped, uTorrent should stop all torrent activity as it can no longer establish a connection using the Torguard address...

I tried this without setting Torguard to kill uTorrent.  uTorrent chugged along just fine after I manually disconnected Torguard.  I'm sure I got the addresses correct (mine is in the range 10.9.0.*).  I wonder what's up?

Ajk

My solution to only run Bittorrent through TorGuard is to create a rule in your firewall allowing access only through the Torguard internet adapter.

Find the MAC address of your adaptor:

Run CMD from start menu

type "ipconfig /all"

look through the adapters listed and when you find a TorGuard one or viscosity one then copy out the physical address (eg:  00-FF-8F-08-A2-55).  This number never changes regardless of the VPN connection (It may change however when you update TorGuard!)

enter this in your "VPN" firewall rule to have all ingoing and outgoing traffic limited to these addresses only.

Select your Bittorrent client in the firewall and apply that rule to it.  Will also work for any other program you want to only access the internet through the VPN.

No need for the killswitch as it is only using the VPN adaptor. 

P.S.  Check your Bittorrent Client is following this by running it without VPN (I used free audio books as a test case).  It should not be able to download anything.  Having said that my Client was a bit sneaky and wrote in a couple of extra doors in my Firewall, and would allow traffic until I found and disabled them.