TorGuard

VPN L2TP not working anymore in China

Rate this question

CÅ“ur

Question

Hello,

Since 24 hours, I am facing a kind of VPN crisis at home. Simultaneously those services stop being effective:

* L2TP VPN on Windows with Torguard and PureVPN (Dell)

* L2TP VPN on OS X with Torguard and PureVPN (MacBook)

* L2TP VPN on Android with Torguard and PureVPN (LG phone)

* L2TP VPN on iOS with Torguard and PureVPN (Apple phone)

Identified behavior:

I can still "connect" to my paid VPN services, any server (tried 5 with Torguard, 6 with PureVPN), but when I visit most blocked websites (Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Lemonde, Youtube, ...) I get a 404 or a random alternative website (mybank.pl, rutube.ru, justcurious.co.za, ...) that I don't care about. Some traditionally blocked websites are unaffected and still work fine with VPN, like Google and Torguard.

Because it affects all my devices with different OS and all my VPN providers, I suspect a breach in L2TP that my chinese ISP is using to affect me.

All my VPN configurations are using Google DNS: 2001:4860:4860::8888, 2001:4860:4860::8844, 8:8:8:8, 8:8:4:4.

Hopefully, I managed to access those hickaked DNS using Torguard Proxy. Is it the end of VPN for me in China?

3 answers to this question

My solution is not working anymore... today, even with automatic proxy settings disabled, I still have the issue for accessing popular websites. :(

Hello,

Since 24 hours, I am facing a kind of VPN crisis at home. Simultaneously those services stop being effective:

* L2TP VPN on Windows with Torguard and PureVPN (Dell)

* L2TP VPN on OS X with Torguard and PureVPN (MacBook)

* L2TP VPN on Android with Torguard and PureVPN (LG phone)

* L2TP VPN on iOS with Torguard and PureVPN (Apple phone)

Identified behavior:

I can still "connect" to my paid VPN services, any server (tried 5 with Torguard, 6 with PureVPN), but when I visit most blocked websites (Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Lemonde, Youtube, ...) I get a 404 or a random alternative website (mybank.pl, rutube.ru, justcurious.co.za, ...) that I don't care about. Some traditionally blocked websites are unaffected and still work fine with VPN, like Google and Torguard.

Because it affects all my devices with different OS and all my VPN providers, I suspect a breach in L2TP that my chinese ISP is using to affect me.

All my VPN configurations are using Google DNS: 2001:4860:4860::8888, 2001:4860:4860::8844, 8:8:8:8, 8:8:4:4.

Hopefully, I managed to access those hickaked DNS using Torguard Proxy. Is it the end of VPN for me in China?

@Coeur

L2TP protocol can't work in MOST area in China.

For Android (4.0+), you can try IKEv2 with strongSwan (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.strongswan.android&hl=zh_TW)

TorGuard only provide IKEv2 setup guide for windows phone, but I find it can be used in android and still working very well in Beijing and Xi'an city now. 

The most important of all is that you have to install (US & UK) certificate for each setting of the server.   

IKEv2 should work in windows too. (sorry I don't have much time to test it)