TorGuard

Another port forwarding questions...

Rate this topic

icsy7788

Ok, so I connect to torguard and I have a port opened via a support ticket.  Now since I run this in my router, I had to do some fancy port forwarding to get the packets from the opened port to my specific machine.

If I go to a port checker website I can see that UDP and TCP ports report as open. 

Oddly enough when I use utorrents built in port checker it tells me:

"Neither NAT-PMP nor UPnP is enabled"

Now if I enable these in my router and Utorrent of course it reports fine but I dont want to enable these in my router obviously.

So as another test I downloaded deluge, changed the port information and it came back with a green orb immediately (I am assume the correct thing it should do!).  So I would assume this is just utorrent being utorrent.  But I was curious if anyone had any quick suggestions!

I may have a similar issue. By defaut, VPN incoming port is not open. I have port opened, while using VPN + Proxy for uTorrent, I still get the red icon at the bottom right of the main screen. However, the download is not affected. At times it comes to a halt, and requires reboot, and I continues.

Do you use VPN + Proxy together?

How do you used uTorrent built in port checker?. I believe my open port in uTorrent is still blocked.

I may have a similar issue. By defaut, VPN incoming port is not open. I have port opened, while using VPN + Proxy for uTorrent, I still get the red icon at the bottom right of the main screen. However, the download is not affected. At times it comes to a halt, and requires reboot, and I continues.

Do you use VPN + Proxy together?

How do you used uTorrent built in port checker?. I believe my open port in uTorrent is still blocked.

I think it was just how utorrent does things.  I actually just switched to deluge and I actually like it quite a bit better now that I am getting use to it.

Now, firstly I would take away the proxy layer and get utorrent working without it first.  I would then use something like

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

T test for your open port.  Utorrent may have different results as I believe most utorrent traffic are UDP packets, and not TCP packets.  So I use

https://pentest-tools.com/discovery-probing/udp-port-scanner-online-nmap

Just to be sure.  Using the port i opened via torguard support, I get "Open" ports in both tests. Although my setup is a little bit different because I have torguard connected via a client in my router.  So I have to do some magic iptable rules to get it to go to a specific computer... but it is the same concept.

If you are running the VPN client directly onto your computer, then you would not need to actually forward any ports.  Are you using windows?  Is your Windows firewall on? (Control Panel -> Windows Firewall)  I would turn it off to test.  There are certain A/V products that also include certain networking and firewall filtering utilities as well which may cause the issues you are seeing.

Thank you icsy7788 for your suggestions and guide.

I turn off Windows Firewall. My Kaspersky had Local Services TCP & UPD Blocked, changed to Allow. Tested with Proxy On and OFF with no difference in results.

http://www.yougetsig...ols/open-ports/

Obtaining Port Status – running for several minutes in a loop. Kill process.

https://pentest-tool...ner-online-nmap

Result:

“Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org) at 2015-03-18 03:07 EET
Initiating Ping Scan at 03:07
Scanning 103.10.199.82 [4 ports]
Completed Ping Scan at 03:07, 0.18s elapsed (1 total hosts)
Nmap scan report for 103.10.199.82 [host down]
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -Pn
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.24 seconds
Raw packets sent: 4 (152B) | Rcvd: 0 (0B)â€

I had a glance on deluge. Did it have the open port issues?

Therefore I'm unable to check my open ports. However my downloads are not affected. So do I ignore the RED icon stating that â€œNot Connectable A firewall/router is limiting you network traffic"

The question that remains: Why does the built-in port-forwarding test fail consistently in uTorrent?

Apparently, people have been confirming this being a dis-functional functionality of utorrent for several releases now.

My research revealed ''they are working on it", which could be true, but I figure they're either working on this issue like up to twenty seconds a month or this is a bug cannot be fixed. So I gather there is definitely a bug in the port checking mechanism in uTorrent that produces false results for the test.

I do not wish to open a port on my router, it's like cutting a big hole in tank armour that allows the people inside to be shot easier.

Sometimes after turning off those service it may take a little while for it to "activate" depending on the software.  

Are you using the new file that torguard support should have sent you with the new ovpn file?  It is actually fairly normal for packets to be able to come in without any issue, but when they try to leave via your open port they get confused without a port open to go to.

Also if you are using torguard directly on a machine (I.E not in your router via DD-WRT or something similar) it really should just work, and since your traffic is being tunneled through Torguard's VPN servers, opening a port in your router would do no good, because all of your traffic travels through port 443 initially.

And opening a port on your router isn't that dangerous, only if there is something listening on the local side that someone can exploit.  A "port" is just a number inside a packet.  :D

"Are you using the new file that torguard support should have sent you with the new ovpn file?"

TotGuard Support "You will need to use our Viscosity client to import and use your custom config file - you will receive a config called IP.zip (Dedicated IP) or Port.zip (Port Froward)"

No I didn't use the ovpen file they sent me. As shown above you need to install Viscosity. I do not wish to install Viscosity. I have 2 machines for 2 opened ports. Any other options for this?. Is that why my open port does not work? 

"Also if you are using torguard directly on a machine "

Yes it's on my PC not on my router. When do the open port test, do you keep uTorrent running with the open port ?

That may be your problem... When they give you a port, they send you a dedicated IP to connect to.  If you extract the port.zip file it is just a .OVPN file.  Nothing special about it.  I believe they want you to use the viscosity program because it has an easy import function.  And if it makes any more sense... I use the ovpn information in my router where you cannot import files.  I just copy the relevant information and tell it to connect.

Try this,

http://openvpn.se/download.html

This is a great OpenVPN client, you should not be required to use their software for an openvpn connection.  Simply install the program, drop the .ovpn file in port.zip (After decompressing) into the C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\config.

Depending on the version and what client you install, it may be in C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config as well (Without the 86).  After this is done, launch the openvpn program by "Shift right clicking it" and hitting run as administrator.  You can also go into the properties of a shortcut and tell it to always run as administrator.  I found this image on google images...  Keep in mind that your icon may be different.

openvpn-gui3.jpg

After this simply right click on the icon in your tray and hit connect.  It may look similar to this (Also found this on google images)

win7-openvpn-step-14.jpg\

There is a reason you need to use the file in the .ovpn config file to connect.  From what I can tell they have a specific server that they use for port forwarding.  So you need to tell your openvpn connection to connect to that server. SO when they have packets hit that server using a custom port (Lets call it 50042), they make a route that says "Packets that have port # 50042 need to go to this server/IP address.  BUT they put this into a specific server and if you dont connect to it it wont have the correct rule.

• Like 1

Yes, my open port did not work because I did not install and understand OpenVPN. Thank you for your time and effort for your comprehensive guide and instructions to OpenVPN client. I prefer your method to install OpenVPN client, than viscosity. 

I have copied your above guide into a word doc, and will install OpenVPN client as instructed.

http://openvpn.se/download.html provides the following:

Installation Package (Both 32-bit and 64-bit TAP driver included):

openvpn-2.0.9-gui-1.0.3-install.exe

Application only:

openvpn-gui-1.0.3.exe

Application only (without Change Password feature):

openvpn-gui-1.0.3-nochangepsw.exe

Source Code:

openvpn-gui-1.0.3.zip

I have 2 machines with OS Win XP (SP3 32-bit), and Win 7 (64-bit). Which of the above should I use for my 2 PCs.

Since I have the Tap driver already installed. Do I need to re-installed the one included?

Thank you

It really shouldnt matter.  Most of the tap drivers are identical I believe.  I would just get:

openvpn-2.0.9-gui-1.0.3-install.exe

Which would have all the files you would need. The TorGuard lite program should still work if you decide to go back.  (If not just uninstall the openvpn client, but you really should not have any issues)

Hi icsy7788,

I encounter the following error when Connect

“Connecting to Port has failedâ€

“Options error: Unrecognized option or missing parameter(s) in Port.ovpn:6: remote-cert-tls (2.0.9)

Use --help for more informationâ€

I’ve used openvpn-2.0.9-gui-1.0.3-install.exe to install on my Win XP pc. All components to install are checked except:

·       My Cert Wizard

·       Hide the Tap-Win32 Virtual Ethernet Adapter

After installation of the program, copied  Port.ovpn (from port.zip) into C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config. Then launch the openvpn program as administrator. After right click on the icon in tray and hit connect, and encountered the error.

After the error, I copied the ca.crt file to C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config. It made no difference

TorGuard Support provided the port no and the location is Hong Kong.

Please help. Thank you

Hi icsy7788,

I encounter the following error when Connect

“Connecting to Port has failedâ€

“Options error: Unrecognized option or missing parameter(s) in Port.ovpn:6: remote-cert-tls (2.0.9)

Use --help for more informationâ€

I’ve used openvpn-2.0.9-gui-1.0.3-install.exe to install on my Win XP pc. All components to install are checked except:

·       My Cert Wizard

·       Hide the Tap-Win32 Virtual Ethernet Adapter

After installation of the program, copied  Port.ovpn (from port.zip) into C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config. Then launch the openvpn program as administrator. After right click on the icon in tray and hit connect, and encountered the error.

After the error, I copied the ca.crt file to C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config. It made no difference

TorGuard Support provided the port no and the location is Hong Kong.

Please help. Thank you

Ohh did you copy the ca.crt, from the .zip, to the directory as well?  And did you run the openvpn software as admin?

If you open the .ovpn file in notepad, do you have this line?

remote-cert-tls server

Or does it say something else?

Thank you for your response icsy7788

Since my Win XP PC had the issues, I uninstalled it, and installed openvpn-2.0.9-gui-1.0.3-install.exe on my  Win 7.PC.  During installation, a dialogue box appears “Windows requires a digitally signed driver†Overcome this by turning off Windows 7 digitally signed on. Next another dialogue message:

"This progam has known compatibility issues"

Program: TAP-Win32 Virtual Network Driver

Publisher: The OpenVPN Project

Check for solutions online – no soulution, so ran program and encountered the message “Your version of TAP-Win32 Virtual Network Driver isn't compatible with this version of Windows†Unable to install TAP-Win32 Virtual Network Driver. Did Google search – no solution for an update driver or version. This is a known problem.

BTW - my Port. Ovpn file: consist of the following. The “remote-cert-tls server†is on the first line

clientdev tunproto udpremote 103.10.199.82 6060resolv-retry infiniteremote-cert-tls server

nobind

tun-mtu 1500

tun-mtu-extra 32

mssfix 1450

ca ca.crt

auth-user-pass

comp-lzo

fast-io

ping-restart 0

route-delay 2route-method exe

script-security 3 system

mute-replay-warnings

verb 3

I would try it with the "Compatibility" issue anyways.  Sometimes those things just pop up.  Is your windows 7 box on a 64 bit system?  I would try running it anyways.

Regarding my previous Win XP PC, I've installed Viscosity and imported Port.Ovpn successfully, Connect to the port, and its ran fine, and uTorrent is downloading fine expect still got the red icon. Port checker says it's still closed. I have submitted ticket, and support is assisting.

My Win 7 PC is on 64-bit, I agree with you, normally with some of these issues, it would still proceed to install. However, I tried to install TAP-Win32 Virtual Network Driver several times but encountered  â€œYour version of TAP-Win32 Virtual Network Driver isn't compatible with this version of Windows†Unable to install TAP-Win32 Virtual Network Driver.

I have un-installed and re-installed the program, and it's giving the same error. I had a look in OpenVPN web site, and it is a known issue.

Link to the known issues below - an old thread but refers to my issue. This program version I tried to install is a old version and have issues (openvpn-2.0.9-gui-1.0.3-install.exe)

Link to Known issue: 

TAP Device driver will not install in Win7 64bit

Quote from the link “The newer OpenVPN versions work. I've tried version 2.1.4 and it works on 64 bit. Follow the link and install the newest versionâ€

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html

The old version is out of dated and does not work with win 7. I have un-installed the old version, and will look into the later versions.

Thank you for your time, effort and assistance icsy7788. It is greatly appreciated.