TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
skewedview

VPN Without Client?

Rate this question

Question

skewedview

Ok, I am not sure if this question should be in general VPN or the router section ... but it's sort of a two-level question, so I figured I would post it here.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router, which offers built-in VPN. But it seems that, at least on the stock firmware, I still have to have an instance of OpenVPN running on a computer at all times for the router to be able to use the VPN for all other connected devices, is this correct?

Mostly what I would like to do is have all devices in my home use my TorGuard VPN without having to open up a client on all of them, and would definitely prefer it if I didn't have to have an instance running on a computer at all times. Most of my time is spent on various laptops and devices around the house, and my super-power-hungry PC (which is, seemingly, the best place to keep OpenVPN running) stays off for a good portion of the day.

Any insight or ideas? Thanks.

1 answer to this question

Support

Hey there, great router btw :) you will need to flash with DD-WRT to run the openvpn client directly in the router.

Regards