TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
Jong

TG Viscosity Os x 10.10.1

Rate this question

Question

Jong

Hi,

I would like to highlight something regarding the setup of Viscosity.

https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=118

"How to Enable and Setup Viscosity MAX OSX"

It says "You can download the MAC or Windows version of Viscosity from our downloads section located 
Here"

Where "Here" send you to:

http://torguard.net/downloads.php

For Mac Os X you then go to the following:

https://torguard.net/downloads.php?action=displaycat&catid=2

So I download "TorGuard's version of Viscosity from http://www.sparklabs.com"

The tutorial says:

• "Once you download and mount "VPNCLIENT.dmg" move the Viscosity app to your applications folder. (Important)"
  • "Run the Viscosity icon and when asked if you wish to open, select "Open" as seen below:"
  • "Once the Viscosity install runs, it will prompt you for the license file/. Click the "Select New License" button and locate the "license.lic" file downloaded in Step 1."
  • Viscosity OpenVPN software is now installed!

Here comes the first "uncovered" part:

• After setup and during the first launch Viscosity ask to update the "Helper tools". Yes or No? I guess Yes.

Here comes the first "issue" because the tutorial says:

• Locate the globe icon on the top right status bar and click to see the full server list. Click the country you wish to connect to.

When I click the globe on the top right status bar I see:

• 0 Active connections (gray)
  • Details (gray)
  • Preferences...
  • Quit

I don't see at all the full server list. So sad! It should be "preconfigured" and displaying very useful details about servers (TCP/UDP/NO-P2P/STEALH/...)

mac6.png

A workaround was to search with google and discover the following link:

https://torguard.net/downloads.php?action=displaycat&catid=8

• OpenVPN Config - "These configs can be used in the event you want to use other software rather than use TorGuards Software."

I extract the downloaded archive and get a "TorGuardPRO" folder with *.ovpn files".

I click on the Viscosity top right icon and:

• Preferences
  • Connections tab
  • + bottom left button
  • Import Connection from file
  • Select the "TorGuardPro" folder

A popup says "Viscosity has successfully imported the connection/s. It is now available in your connection list."

I got my servers list BUT absolutely no useful details about servers (TCP/UDP/NO-P2P/STEALH/...)

I also found this quick tutorial:

https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=147

Can you update your tutorial?

Why Viscosity is not preconfigured as mentioned?

How can I get useful servers details (TCP/UDP/NO-P2P/STEALH/...)?

A Viscosity updates is available. Can I perform updates?

When I try to connect to a server Viscosity asks "OpenVPN requires a username and password to continue". Which one should I provide? Will I need to add credentials for each server?

I hope it will help to improve the tutorial.

Best regards and congratulation for the good products/work you provide.

J.

8 answers to this question

Support

John, excellent and thanks for your detailed feedback, recently TG Viscosity was updated, the helper tools dialog is new and so will be updated as per your post, the configs are normally preloaded, right now we can open up the VPNCLIENT.dmg, click the application within the image, close it, move to applications folder and then open from there, connections will now be present.

We will have this little bug fixed very soon.

Again thanks for feedback.

Regards

Jong

Hi,

Thank you for your quick answer. Happy if it helped.

the configs are normally preloaded, right now we can open up the VPNCLIENT.dmg, click the application within the image, close it, move to applications folder and then open from there, connections will now be present.

If I follow exactly what you describe I don't have connections preloaded.

Regards

UPDATE: You are right. It's working and pre-configured.

Support

Hi,

Thank you for your quick answer. Happy if it helped.

If I follow exactly what you describe I don't have connections preloaded.

Regards

UPDATE: You are right. It's working and pre-configured.

Yes normally we wouldn’t have to do that but as i said we will get this fixed soon :)

Thanks

Hitman

Hmm, still not fixed 2 months later. How quick is quick?

Support

Hey Hitman, due to limited access with viscosity (Owned by sparklabs) we have to wait for them to fix this, we are on there case again and will hopefully get this fixed shorty in our build.

Regards

BTiger

I had the same issue. Was able to get the servers to show by clicking the application inside the bundle. But when I try to connect to any of the server, nothing happens. It doesn't ask for my log in username/password. It just doesn't do anything.

I tried to update to the latest version. This causes the application to crash upon clicking 'Install and Restart'. I was able to go to the Library-->Application Support-->Torguard and get the updated application under hidden files. I moved that application to the 'Applications' folder. So now I have the latest version of Viscosity, but it still doesn't help. The application doesn't connect to anything.

Would like some help here. Thanks.

Support

I had the same issue. Was able to get the servers to show by clicking the application inside the bundle. But when I try to connect to any of the server, nothing happens. It doesn't ask for my log in username/password. It just doesn't do anything.

I tried to update to the latest version. This causes the application to crash upon clicking 'Install and Restart'. I was able to go to the Library-->Application Support-->Torguard and get the updated application under hidden files. I moved that application to the 'Applications' folder. So now I have the latest version of Viscosity, but it still doesn't help. The application doesn't connect to anything.

Would like some help here. Thanks.

Hi there- sorry for the delay, did you ever get this fixed ?

Regards

Chance

So, here we are nine months later and the issue is still not fixed.  If your users have to deal with this bug then AT THE LEAST you should add an install readme on the disk image to describe how to work around the bug (instead of making your users search through old posts to find out how to get Viscosity to install the predefined connections).

For those who need to work around this install bug, double-click the TorGuard.app (i.e. the Viscosity app) from the VPNCLIENT.dmg image file and let it offer to move itself to the Applications folder.  This will cause the app to include the predefined connections.