TorGuard

Question about VPN security

Rate this question

Question

Hi there!

Im new to using VPN's, i recently upgraded to openvpn pro, my question is: When Logging onto sites that require user/names and passwords (like facebook, ebay, paypal, etc) is this information safe thru VPN or is it recommended that im not connected to the VPN when entering information like this?

3 answers to this question

TorGuard Admin

Hello,

Thanks for the question. It is very safe and actually recommended to connect to these sites through the VPN. (especially when at public wifi)

When using secure sites through the VPN, it ensures that no one on the network will be able to see your traffic or steal your logins/passwords.

Also, everything you do will be encrypted through the server of your choice.

It is totally safe when using VPN They use data encryption protocols to code the streams of data so that outsiders cannot see what is being sent throughout the network; they can only see that something is being sent, but not what it is.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit and have gadgets and programs like rainmeter and stock quotes and I am worried that it is possible that certain programs can go around my VPN and reveal my real IP.

I am planning on getting the new Asus RT-AC68U router and flashing it with dd-wrt (not sure if that is necessary), this way my connection will look like this: Router -> VPN (openVPN) -> tor network. This will force everything through my VPN, nicely defeating any end-run around my network stack.

I really enjoy learning about this stuff and would appreciate any comments or thoughts as to setting it up this way and if there is any security concerns.