TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  

OpenVPN Setup on a Dir-825 DD-WRT Flashed Router

Rate this question

Question

Maybe some users here can help me. Fair warning, this may get a bit long.

I just signed up for service yesterday and I tried setting up my router with no luck. I am a IT Tech - 14 years in the business but unfortunately networking is my weakness still.

I have to mention that although I've gotten responses from the service desk, no remote help yet, I'm not impressed with the lack of real "Live Help".

Anyway,

I have a D-Link Dir-825 Rev. B1 flashed with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13)(SVN revision 21061) and I've tried both the easy setup tool as well the quick and easy manual setup. Can't not get the VPN to work even after trying the troubleshooting tips.

I tried to go the long route/manual setup as stated here: http://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=106

but I'm stuck in these area's.

1.) From line 2. Now you need to download an OpenVPN config from our My Servers page in your TG client account to obtain the IP address, Port, and Certificate info.

Open the .ovpn file of the server you wish to connect to and note the information highlighted below:

How do I open the .ovpn file so I can see the info I need? Windows does not know how to open such files. And where do I find the cert file?

I found a CA file in the TorguardPro zip file but that's it. Then I found two different ones located on the Server Status page?

I'm completely lost.

The Windows client works fine. But like most, I need it to work through my router.

Does anyone know if the DIR-825 is just not a good unit for OpenVPN? I see that the Asus RT-N16 seems to be a fairly popular model. I just don't want to spend more money on another router if my current router is not the issue.

Also, how do I enable logging?

I hope someone can help me sooner than later.

Thank sin advance for any help.

6 answers to this question

59696_1511348127

I dunno Dlink or DD-WRT, but yesterday I tried setting-up OpenVPN myself and you simply open the TorGuardPRO .opvn file-of-interest (site nearest your location) with Notepad or any editor you like.

But you said "Now you need to download an OpenVPN config..." and I don't see that in the instructions. Are you using the correct Setup guide for DD-WRT?

https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=47

As it says on that page you can open a Support ticket for help.

Thanks for the reply TorWorx.

I did try the quick and easy setup and that did not work for me. I do have a ticket open and although I've gotten responses only when they want to respond, I've requested remote assistance and they although they say "Sure we can remote in, just tell us what time, TG has yet to remote in and assist.

I'm trying to use this guide.

http://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=106

Btw, mind if I ask which router model you are using and which firmware? I might have to look into getting another router if this one does not start working.

Thanks

59696_1511348127

Rusty I have an ASUS RT-N66U but I can't recommend it yet as I'm not sure I have it working to my satisfaction (which is one reason I hang-around here)!

In my case I am trying OpenVPN on ASUSWRT-Merlin, which is very different from DD-WRT of course. But one thing I noticed in my own instructions, where it said "Copy and paste the contents of ca.crt you wish to use into the CA cert field" what I found was that the ca.crt contents were 10 times bigger than the field would accept!?!?! I would look at the CA field and at the end saw no -----END CERTIFICATE----- which was my first clue. I instead cut/pasted only the first BEGIN and END section and it seemed to work, but honestly I've not gotten back to it yet to do any testing. But it did appear to CONNECT after I did this.

Support
Thanks for the reply TorWorx.

I did try the quick and easy setup and that did not work for me. I do have a ticket open and although I've gotten responses only when they want to respond, I've requested remote assistance and they although they say "Sure we can remote in, just tell us what time, TG has yet to remote in and assist.

I'm trying to use this guide.

http://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=106

Btw, mind if I ask which router model you are using and which firmware? I might have to look into getting another router if this one does not start working.

Thanks

Hi RustyNail

Did someone get back to you and remote in ?

Regards

No, no one remoted in. Every time I received a email reply to my ticket, I was in sleeping as they would reply at like 3am my time. I decided to not continue with Tor-Guard based on the lack of support and the fact that the site states 24/7/364 "LIVE SUPPORT" which is not provided at anytime. The chat is always set to "leave a message" which does not constitute as "Live Support"

Anyway, I believe that it was my DIR-825 Router that was the issue. Although it's flashed with DD-WRT and has Open VPN, I could not get it to work on any of the few providers I tried. I went and found me a used-like new RT-N66U and currently testing it using Merlin. Although I'm testing with another provider right now I can say that it is working.

59696_1511348127

Sorry to see you leave RN I can only say I've had good luck with both live and email/ticketed support here.

I'm betting you will like your ASUS router--I've not gotten mine fully up/running with Tor/OpenVPN/DualWAN/3G yet but so-far-so-good.