TorGuard

How To Dynamically Change DNS Servers from Google/OpenDNS (With Viscosity)

Rate this question

AusFlyGuy

Question

Hi everyone,

Included in this post is a Windows Batch file to dynamically change the DNS Servers of ANY successful connection to something other than the Google public servers provided by TorGuard through DHCP.

This is needed to ensure use of a non-logging DNS Service.

Your feedback would be appreciated :)

The full file can be downloaded here -- TorGuard_ChgDNS.bat

Instructions are included.

Extract from the file-

:: Author: Ian McOwan, Broadford, Australia

:: Date: 31st August 2014

::

:: Setable Parameters:

:: adapterName - The name on the Windows Network Connection created by TorGuard

:: priDNSserver - The preferred primary DNS Server [TorGuard Free Secure DNS]

:: secDNSserver - The preferred secondary DNS Server [TorGuard Free Secure DNS]

:: onlyChangeFromGoogle - Only changes successful connections that are using Google DNS Servers [default Y]

:: googlePriServer - 8.8.8.8, server to search for [default]

::

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

Ian I am brand-spanking-new to TorGuard but was alarmed that the dnsleaktest.com said Google was still involved with DN resolution. So I tried your .bat and it does seem to work, thank you! I'm trying to rid my online world of Google and it seems very hard to do because they are everywhere!

• Like 1
Ian I am brand-spanking-new to TorGuard but was alarmed that the dnsleaktest.com said Google was still involved with DN resolution. So I tried your .bat and it does seem to work, thank you! I'm trying to rid my online world of Google and it seems very hard to do because they are everywhere!

Try to run the command prompt (cmd) as Admin (rightclick -> run as admin)

Then navigate to the batch file (i.e. cd c:temp)

Now run the batch file (TorGuard_ChgDNS.bat)

When I run the batch file by itself (even with run as admin) it won't work for me either.

Hi,

can you open a command prompt and type in the following command -

ipconfig /all > c:ipconfig.txt

This will place the output of an ipconfig command into a file in the root directory. Then send the output to

[email protected]

I'll then fix the code for you and repost :)

Dr.Tautology

Hello,

I'm having a small issue with this batch. It works fine when I run manually as admin, but the batch does not run automatically on launch of viscosity. Any suggestions?

Edit:

Having done more research on it, it doesn't seem like this is really possible on Windows 7. I think you could write a wrapper script that elevates permissions via cmd and then runs the dns batch, but this will still require entering an admin password at least once. If you or anyone else has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise running the batch manually gets the job done.

Edit Edit:

I've figured out how to write a wrapper script that allows powershell to bypass the execution policy and then run the dns batch. Tested it and it works perfectly. If anyone needs this let me know.

Hi Jerry,

thanks for the post. The script was developed on Windows 7 and as far as I know works for most people.

Is your Windows 7 in a server/corporate environment?

Nonetheless I would be interested in the wrapper.

Thanks Ian.

Dr.Tautology

I'm on 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. The batch fails at the netsh commands stating that they require elevation, which makes sense. It even requires elevation just to look at the network adapter properties in control panel, so I would assume that needs to be bypassed to make changes to the adapters. I suppose some people have lax security in place on their Windows 7 machines which is why it works for them.

Anyway here is the wrapper. You would just edit the viscosity settings xml to point to this batch instead of TorGuard_ChgDNS.bat. Also, unless you specify a different path make sure the wrapper is in the same directory as the DNS.bat. It will still give the user account control prompt on launch, but that is just a matter of clicking "ok"; no passwords needed.

"C:WindowsSysWOW64WindowsPowerShellv1.0powershell.exe" -windowstyle hidden -nologo -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass -command "start-process -verb 'runas' -filepath C:TorGuard_ChgDNS.bat

One last thing, thank you very much for doing the leg work and writing this batch file. It's about as elegant as a Windows batch file gets ;)

newbietor231

Hi, would this work on Win 8.1? I'm a complete noob but think I could follow these instructions. I'm also trying to find a world without google so this is a great addition to an already fantastic piece of software. Thanks so much for doing all of this! :)

anyway to get this without having to create an accnt on MS One Drive?

edit:

dhcp-option DNS <dns server>
dhcp-option DNS <dns server>

i add the above lines to my *ovpn files. seems to work. probably not as elegant or efficient as that bat file.

I would be interested in checking out this script. I don't think it in on that microsoft drive account anymore. Does anyone have this thing anymore? I would appreciate it if they could share.