TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
Tardisman

Install VPN LinuxMint

Rate this question

Question

Tardisman

I am very new to using Linux which I have on my laptop and was given the advice that Mint was very similar to Windows which I have used for years.

My question is has anybody managed to set up a VPN on LinuxMint and if so could you possibly put a simple step by step guide for thickie people like me.

I believe that LinuxMint is based on Debian but when I tried to follow the debian instruction for installing a VPN that were supplied on the site I got totally lost.

Any and all help gratefully accepted

Thanks in advance

9 answers to this question

Try the Ubuntu instructions - it was pretty straightforward for me.

KSmith

I am having the same trouble... I am using the Ubuntu instructions but when I get down to the Network Connections portion.... none of that makes sense in Mint (at least in Mint 16). I don't have a Network Connections window and no way that I can find to point anything to TorGuard. I tried importing settings into a generic VPN setup but it said the file was the wrong type.

Has anyone done this and can you tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks

Support

@KSmith

Have you tried the Torguard Lite app for Linux ? or do you guys prefer to use the network-manager part ?

Regards

KSmith

OK, this has been a long, hard road but I have *finally* gotten this to work. What did work was this:

https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=32

So, yeah, it works but it seems that the only way to start TorGuard is through the Terminal and I need to put in my TG User Name & Password to Start TG and then again for EACH server that I changed from .opvn to .conf. :- I started out with six or so servers that I changed the extension on but ended up going back and changing five back to .opvn because it was such a pain in the a$$ to keep inputting the User Name & Password over and over again.

So, is it true? That this is the only way to start TG in Mint right now? The Ubuntu setup has the typical 'click on the icon' to open the program, just like I've used in Windoze for over a year. Why can't we do this in Mint?

(I did try moving from Mint to Ubuntu to get that feature but couldn't ever get it to work at all! :-( Came back to Mint where it sucks but at least it works. Fkin Linux..... :-(

KSmith

OK. I figured out a workaround to the need to use Terminal to start TorGuard every time. There is a way to put into Network Settings a simple On/Off switch to TG. Unfortunately, it seems that you can only have one connection option, but that's better than nothing.

Anyway, my problem seemed to start with the fact that the Network Settings in Mint 16 has a bug. This bug has been reported. But there is a workaround You need to open Terminal and put in:

sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome

This 'fixes' the Network Manager.

Now, in

https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=32

we were told to change all the .opvn files to .conf That doesn't work for this application. So you need to go back to etc/openvpn and change your desired connection back to .opvn

Click Network Settings – click the + in the lower right corner – Box pops up 'Select the interface....' It should say VPN – click Create – new box pops up, Choose a VPN Connection Type. This should have OpenVPN showing. Click the arrow to change the selection to Import a saved VPN configuration – click Create – go to File System (on left)/etc/openvpn. - Choose your desired connection and click Open. - New window pops up. Under Authentication, click the arrow and choose Password. - Enter your TG User Name & Password – click Save. - You now have the Networking window open. You should see your new TorGuard.DesiredConnection.UDP VPN connection on the left. - click Close

Now go down to your Network Connection, click it and you'll see the VPN Connection with a handy little On/Off switch to the right. To turn on TorGuard, turn the switch on and wait a minute or so for it to connect. There should be a brief popup window in the upper right of your screen telling you that the VPN has connected.

Support

Thanks for sharing that KSmith :)

Regards

KSmith

FYI - I was able to add two more two more servers to the list in Network Settings so now I have three to choose from. So if one seems to not be connecting, I have other easily obtainable options.

Network Settings allows creation of a VPN option and a toggle switch style on/off. For me in Mint 17 it shows up by just clicking on the network icon. I have a toggle for regular connection and another one for Torguard VPN. Both on desktop and laptop. Very easy to setup. Oh I went ahead with PPTP VPN as it's already available in Mint with out add-on's.