TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  

Split Tunneling on Windows

Rate this question

Question

Any easy & reliable way to do split tunneling on windows? Right now I am overriding the pushed OpenVPN settings which requires me to first see what IP the server is going to assign me so that I can modify the config and reconnect. Then I use windows firewall scope settings to block all programs I want to use the tunnel on the LAN scope and bind them to the vpn adapter IP if possible. Also using various route metrics to force certain traffic over the vpn. But seems there is no easy way to block all other programs from using the VPN since you can't add a deny all rule and then have specific accept rules override it with the windows firewall. Sometimes it seems other programs that I don't want on the VPN are using either the VPN DNS server or sending traffic over it anyway due to some hiccup on the LAN side or DNS priorities or who knows what. Any advice is appreciated.

1 answer to this question

Figured out the best way to do split tunnel is by appending the following to a config file. However filtering traffic between interfaces in windows is still not great.

route-nopull

dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8

dhcp-option DNS 8.8.4.4

route 10.8.0.1

topology net30

ping 5

ping-restart 30

route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 vpn_gateway

route remote_host 255.255.255.255 net_gateway