TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
LNK

utorrent / socks5 connection problem

Rate this question

Question

LNK

utorrent / bitorrent will not connect to any torrent if I use the socks5 proxy proxy.torrent.tg. Even checkmytorrentip will not connect. If I go to no proxy, I connect fine (so not blocked by the firewall),so it looks like a problem with the proxy server. However deluge will run when set to connect to the proxy, so confused. There are no error messages I can see, they just won't connect. Why will the proxy server not talk to utorrent?

win7 ultimate, running through SWISS01

6 answers to this question

I changed my proxy from a specific set to proxy.torguard.tg Then restarted utorrent and it is working fine now.

LNK

I got download working by going in the opposite direction and going from proxy.torguard to a specific location. Uploading still seems to be a problem as it's 'waiting to log in' for ever.

Support

Hi Nigel

You will struggle to upload through a socks5 proxy as you won't receive incoming connections.

Regards

LNK

Erm, 2 questions - if we can't upload, why do the setup instructions tell us to use socks5? Or do you expect us to only download and never seed back (bad torrenting practice)? Up until a few weeks ago, I was uploading just fine through the socks5 proxy (and had been ever since I opened my account over a year ago). This is a recent problem that it's gone wrong.

Support

Hi Nigel

Im not saying you wont be able to but it will not be the same as without the socks5 - it will be limited in comparison - as incoming connections will be limited to the socks5 port.

Have you tried to switch the proxies ?

Regards

LNK

Switched back to proxy.torguard.tg (which didn't work last time) and got some uploads this time. It's all very confusing as to what will work when - I feel I might have a deeper problem in my OS and I'm only seeing bits of it in the torguard problems.