TorGuard

VPN pro utorrent slow speeds

Rate this question

Question

When I download the test Ubuntu torrent i hit 1.8 Mb/s easy and sustained without VPN. Yet, when I try with VPN connecting to say chicago I get only 50 Kb/s. I configured the VPN per the set up guide. Is there something else I need to do? This happens with other torrents as well. Thank you.

9 answers to this question

Support

Hey Apollo, please try Miami/Dallas or LA - Chicago and NY are throttled for torrent traffic.

Regards

Thank you for the quick response I just tried Miami/Dallas/LA and still get the slow speeds. I have done the MTU suggestion as well and have downloaded Vuze and tried on that with similar results as before. I understand the speeds will be slower, but 1/36th of normal. I must be missing something.

Support

Hey are you trying to use both vpn and proxy together ?

Regards

Support

Ok - do you connect wireless or via wired ? what part of the world are you connecting from ? are you using openvpn/pptp or l2tp.

Regards

Tor VPN,wired, United States, open vpn using viscosity -- check

also using uTorrent.

And I get 2mb on my normally with the Asian Language group I sub with but Dallas, Miami, and Chicago both give me max 256K.

Hey Apollo, please try Miami/Dallas or LA - Chicago and NY are throttled for torrent traffic.

Regards

Please forgive my ignorance. But I thought you needed to use a server that has SOCKS5 in order to route your torrent through the VPN?

Also is it bad to be connected to the VPN and trying to route your Torrent through the VPN as well?

My concern is the Viscocity client doesn't automatically connect or reconnect. So I tend to put both on the VPN in case my computer drops the VPN when I am sleeping or something.