TorGuard

Official Client and Settings?

Rate this question

Mimic

Question

I've been having trouble with uploading since I started using the proxy a couple months back. Downloads have been fine. As a result, I've tried different clients and settings. Most recently, disabled UPnP, NAT-PMP, and UTP per a moderator's suggestion in another thread. DHT and trackers are now failing to connect, entirely. Whatever.

Could we get an official statement on what torrent client is preferred, and what settings, besides the proxy, we should be en/disabling? I want to be secure, but it doesn't do me much good if I'm not getting any outgoing connections. No one likes a leech.

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Support

Hi Mimic

On a socks5 proxy you will struggle to receive any type of incoming connections - we don't support upnp on the servers, if using a socks5 we strongly recommend those features you mentioned are disabled yes.

Otherwise we suggest you move to a VPN, which is far more secure and you will be able to both download/upload - maybe not at the same speeds as the proxy but with much more security.

Regards

The problem with using the VPN connection for all torrent activity is the risk of the VPN connection dropping, leaving your torrent activity completely exposed. This is why I switched to using the torrent proxy.

The disconnect script does not always fire when the VPN connection closes. I have run into situations when the VPN Pro client has disconnected or closed without killing the torrent client process, which defeats the purpose of using the VPN at all. What is your workaround for this?

Also, to clarify, when using VPN w/o the proxy torrent, we should re-enable UPnP, etc.? That's only an issue w/ the socks5 proxy, right?

Thanks.

Support

Yes its only an issue with the proxy (UPNP).

You can always use a firewall such as Comodo to filter traffic through specific apps.

We have a new app in dev that will have a killswitch type function built in :)

Regards

Glad to hear it.

By the way, it should be noted that the Torguard Proxy utility re-enables the UPnP and NAT-PMP options in the torrent client.