TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  

Stop utorrent if proxy fail

Rate this question

Question

Every so often the proxy connection fails.

When this happens, uTorrent keeps downloading and uploading which is a serious risk for me!

How do I stop utorrent from running if the proxy fails?

16 answers to this question

Ok when a socks5 proxy is set, it will just not download if the proxy happens to fail - it would only start downloading through your ISP when you manually remove the socks5 ip address.

Regards

Some clarification, in case you're still confused. If you have the socks5 proxy settings in the torrent client itself, it should stop downloading if the proxy server dies.

However, if you're running the torrent client w/o a proxy and using a VPN connection instead, the client will continue to route and download should the VPN cnx drop. There's a disconnect script for the VPN client that you can use to kill torrent client, in case the VPN cnx drops, but it's not 100% reliable.

Im not confused. Im using socks5 proxy.

I use the proxy check file in torrent too. The torrent status says "error offline (timed out)" but im still uploading and downloading files. I have a screen shot but I cant seem to upload it here.

Im not confused. Im using socks5 proxy.

I use the proxy check file in torrent too. The torrent status says "error offline (timed out)" but im still uploading and downloading files. I have a screen shot but I cant seem to upload it here.

I have the same problem/ question. It appears the download/upload continues even though the "Check My Torrent IP" shows it is offline/timed out. Any ideas from anyone? I submitted a support ticket on this and will report back once I get an answer.

I'm getting the same thing. When you go to my servers the server I was using is showing that Socks5 is offline. So I switched servers and that seems to have fixed it for a bit. But it appears all the US Socks5 servers are offline.

I'm getting the same thing. When you go to my servers the server I was using is showing that Socks5 is offline. So I switched servers and that seems to have fixed it for a bit. But it appears all the US Socks5 servers are offline.

Hey Bobby - we don't offer socks5 in USA bud, only VPN's. :)

Regards

Hey Bobby - we don't offer socks5 in USA bud, only VPN's. :)

Regards

... ... you fail to mention this interesting tidbit to customers. What is the purpose of asking us to use our real IP to order products if your products don't work within a region. If my IP shows i'm in the US. Shouldn't your "sales team" gear me towards whatever will work? So I'm paying for a proxy that doesn't work??!?

Yeah then if Socks 5 is not available here in the US, then why does it tell me from time to time my ip is changed and I am able to download? Yeah and I agree with the post above if that be the case then why is this not made clear on your main page? I basically purchased a worthless product then if I understand all this

I may be wrong, but I'll give it a try. You can use the socks 5 servers from anywhere in the world just like you can surf to a web page from the US no matter where the server hosting the web page is located.

When you use the socks 5 server to connect to some other site, your IP shows up as the IP of the socks 5 server. Since those servers are not in the US, anyone who bothers to look at your IP will think that you are not in the US.

This shouldn't matter unless you're trying to connect to a site or service that doesn't allow connections from whatever country the socks 5 server is in.

My experience is that this can be a problem for web browsing as some sites set the language or tailor the content based on the country they think you're in. Which is probably why there are some VPN servers in the US. VPN is advertized as the solution for anonymous browsing. socks 5 is advertized as the solution for anonymous torrents.

Like John said, use any proxy you want from anywhere. Bitbrainally I use the Canadian proxies from the US, and get up to 18MB/s (*bytes* not bits, my ISP connection is 150Mbps), so speed shouldn't be an issue if you choose a closer one.

Ok when a socks5 proxy is set, it will just not download if the proxy happens to fail - it would only start downloading through your ISP when you manually remove the socks5 ip address. Regards

Do you know of a way to test this? Obviously I cannot shut your servers off to check (:P), so this is what I devised myself; not sure if it's sensible or not:

I opened a torrent file and let it start downloading. After a few minutes, I change the socks5 password to something incorrect, but the file keeps downloading. I would expect that, after a short time for the proxy settings to update, the downloads would stop. But they don't. Any ideas?

Do you know of a way to test this? Obviously I cannot shut your servers off to check ( :P), so this is what I devised myself; not sure if it's sensible or not:

I opened a torrent file and let it start downloading. After a few minutes, I change the socks5 password to something incorrect, but the file keeps downloading. I would expect that, after a short time for the proxy settings to update, the downloads would stop. But they don't. Any ideas?

Just enter a dummy IP, any IP, 123.123.123.123  and restart the client - if it downloads while this is entered, then its ignoring these settings and downloading through your ISP - utorrent and Vuze don't do this, they will simply stop downloading.

Regards

On 11/1/2016 at 3:41 PM, Support said:

Just enter a dummy IP, any IP, 123.123.123.123  and restart the client - if it downloads while this is entered, then its ignoring these settings and downloading through your ISP - utorrent and Vuze don't do this, they will simply stop downloading.

Regards

I am having the same problem and i live int he us as well. i just got torguard proxy less than a week ago. I am using Utorrent, sock5 and have had the checkmyiptorrent say it was not connected while utorrent continued to transfer data. Unfortunately utorrent has the same issue. With that should i did enter the dummy ip and restarted utorrent. files queued up but did not make any connection. so what does this mean when the checkmyiptorrent says off line or disconnected but still continues to xfer data?