TorGuard

ArchLinux (xfce4) DNS trouble

Rate this question

nicb

Question

Hello, if launch a dns leak test (using the vpn), i can see two different dns servers . Is that normal?

I can see my "normal" dns server and the second one (by torguard). I'd like to hide my isp dns server.

The option "block outside dns" in torguard client is checked.

I've tried to check the file /etc/resolv.conf and it seems right. While using the vpn service i can see this:

# resolv.conf(5) file generated byTorGuard
nameserver 10.9.0.1
nameserver 10.8.0.1

# ORIGINAL CONTENT:
# # Generated by NetworkManager
# search xxxxxxx
# nameserver xxx.xxx.xx

Is there something i still have to check or modify?

3 answers to this question

4 hours ago, nicb said:

Hello, if launch a dns leak test (using the vpn), i can see two different dns servers . Is that normal?

I can see my "normal" dns server and the second one (by torguard). I'd like to hide my isp dns server.

The option "block outside dns" in torguard client is checked.

I've tried to check the file /etc/resolv.conf and it seems right. While using the vpn service i can see this:

# resolv.conf(5) file generated byTorGuard
nameserver 10.9.0.1
nameserver 10.8.0.1

# ORIGINAL CONTENT:
# # Generated by NetworkManager
# search xxxxxxx
# nameserver xxx.xxx.xx

Is there something i still have to check or modify?

Hey @nicb 

I Believe in Linux you can Set 3rd Party DNS which should Fix the ISP DNS Leak, Since there is a Leak something must be Misconfigured somewhere though. I Believe you go into Network Manager and Depending how you connect to the internet Either Wired or Wireless you can input the DNS into the Correct* areas you may need to enter it into Multiple* areas. If you google Archlinux DNS Leak you will see Described Ways to Properly setup or Fix DNS Leaks. Depending on how you have your ArchLinux Setup the Solution Varies as per whatever Dependencies you may have installed or Not have installed. Here are some Ideas though.

If your linux system uses a program called resolvconf that will automatically generate it's own  /etc/resolv.conf every time you connect to LAN. so in this case you want to edit the file /etc/resolvconf.conf

(if using dhcpd),  you may have to change the dhcpd's configuration >

$ sudo gvim /etc/dhcpcd.conf     -      Add "nohook resolv.conf" at the tail of the file.

$ sudo gvim /etc/resolv.conf      -      Add nameserver 104.223.91.194 nameserver 104.223.91.210

Torguard has Public USA DNS IP's which are Displayed in the My Account section on the website,

Public USA DNS1: 104.223.91.194
Public USA DNS2: 104.223.91.210

I hope this Helps give you some Ideas, Keep in Mind Torguard Has Good one on one Support Through Tickets if you need Help >>> https://torguard.net/submitticket.php

Hello,  i've noticed that when i launch the vpn client, resolv.conf file is not fully overwritten and it keeps two dns servers configurations. First one written by the vpn and the second one by NetworkManager.

6 hours ago, nicb said:

Hello,  i've noticed that when i launch the vpn client, resolv.conf file is not fully overwritten and it keeps two dns servers configurations. First one written by the vpn and the second one by NetworkManager.

As I Mentioned in my Above Post the reason for that is Because of How you Have your Linux Distro Setup.

If you are Not sure how to Set it up I would Recommend Contacting Torguard Support through the Ticket System they usually Reply Fairly Quickly and are Very Knowledgeable  >>>> https://torguard.net/submitticket.php