TorGuard

Does the ban on torrenting traffic ever get lifted?

Rate this topic

klepp0906

So its time for me to renew.  Since my last payment ive stopped using torguard in no small part due to the blocking of torrenting traffic and the lack of split tunneling that would at least offer me a work around.

I still see fringe uses for it and see value in getting the promotional/long term pricing but im largely influenced by the torrenting situation.   As it sits currently im stuck either being connected to no VPN while torrenting, connecting/disconnecting (least desirable for obvious reasons), or using a server outside the USA which is a detriment to speeds and ping when gaming or doing basically everything else.

Just wondering if theres some limitation or time-span in which this block was ordered for or if theres some scenario where its ever possible/likely to be lifted?  Otherwise i'm probably stuck waiting for/watching for/hoping for an effective split tunneling solution or heading off to another provider. 

18 hours ago, klepp0906 said:

So its time for me to renew.  Since my last payment ive stopped using torguard in no small part due to the blocking of torrenting traffic and the lack of split tunneling that would at least offer me a work around.

I still see fringe uses for it and see value in getting the promotional/long term pricing but im largely influenced by the torrenting situation.   As it sits currently im stuck either being connected to no VPN while torrenting, connecting/disconnecting (least desirable for obvious reasons), or using a server outside the USA which is a detriment to speeds and ping when gaming or doing basically everything else.

Just wondering if theres some limitation or time-span in which this block was ordered for or if theres some scenario where its ever possible/likely to be lifted?  Otherwise i'm probably stuck waiting for/watching for/hoping for an effective split tunneling solution or heading off to another provider. 

Hey @klepp0906

I think the Blocking will be Permanent on USA Servers , I do not think Torguard was Given a lot of options. They had to go to Court and I am sure it Costed them Large! Amounts of money. If they had Not Agreed to Block on USA Servers there is a chance they would still be in Court to this day - which I Doubt would have been a Good Plan. 

I think they will Likely Release a Update soon one of these days with Split Tunneling , I know they are working on it but they Do Not want to Release it Until they Fix Most of the Bugs and thoroughly Test it Before Releasing it because if they Release it too early with Potential Big Bugs that may put users Privacy/Security at Risk and Considering Torguard is a Security Product that is the Last thing they want to do.

Some VPN Companies get their Customers to Beta/Alpha Test Software and Find "ALL" the Bugs for them which makes things Faster.. but at the same time can put Customers Privacy/Security at Risk.

I wonder how many users who said that they will cancel their service because of the announced blocking of torrenting on US servers actually tested it before making such statements or cancelling their service?

6 hours ago, gderf said:

I wonder how many users who said that they will cancel their service because of the announced blocking of torrenting on US servers actually tested it before making such statements or cancelling their service?

test what exactly?

7 hours ago, Dav1d said:

Hey @klepp0906

I think the Blocking will be Permanent on USA Servers , I do not think Torguard was Given a lot of options. They had to go to Court and I am sure it Costed them Large! Amounts of money. If they had Not Agreed to Block on USA Servers there is a chance they would still be in Court to this day - which I Doubt would have been a Good Plan. 

I think they will Likely Release a Update soon one of these days with Split Tunneling , I know they are working on it but they Do Not want to Release it Until they Fix Most of the Bugs and thoroughly Test it Before Releasing it because if they Release it too early with Potential Big Bugs that may put users Privacy/Security at Risk and Considering Torguard is a Security Product that is the Last thing they want to do.

Some VPN Companies get their Customers to Beta/Alpha Test Software and Find "ALL" the Bugs for them which makes things Faster.. but at the same time can put Customers Privacy/Security at Risk.

yea i figured that was probably the case.  was just hoping there was some "for a period of" or "statute of limitations" or some such on the order.   the assumption that split tunneling is coming is the only thing giving me pause about simply letting it go.  on the one hand a quick google shows it being talked about in relation to torguard 3 years ago but on the other im sure theyre aware its more important than ever given the current situation.

I guess ill have to make a call one way or the other within the next few weeks. 

1 hour ago, gderf said:

Test whether there is any blocking of torrenting on US servers actually in place.

well, i have to admit.. i havent tested that myself, no.  I stopped using torguard when the announcement was made due to the reasons stated in my OP.  as such i dont currently even have it installed. 

that being said, if there isnt any blocking in place its only a matter of time until there is seeing as it was court ordered.