TorGuard

(Resolved) SOCKS5 proxy not working

Rate this question

knutella

Question

I've tried my normal client qBittorent and Vuze, tried reinstalling nothing works when I turn the socks5 proxy on.  I've been using it for months with no issue.  If I turn the proxy off the clients work fine.  There should be no firewall issue cox internet

23 answers to this question

Same here,  I use it frequently and today it doesn't work. torrent responds: Permission denied

Same problem here. Have barely been able to get anything out of qBittorrent for several days.

The TorGuard checkMyTorrentIp.png torrent reports either "End of file" or "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host".

Trackers in other torrents report either "Permission denied" or "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host".

On 5/12/2022 at 6:31 PM, wolkebär said:

Same problem here. Have barely been able to get anything out of qBittorrent for several days.

The TorGuard checkMyTorrentIp.png torrent reports either "End of file" or "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host".

Trackers in other torrents report either "Permission denied" or "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host".

Same exact problem here with qBittorrent. Tried ports 1080, 1085, 1090, all the same.

I realized SOCKs5 proxy with uTorrent client. Proxy: “proxy.torguard.org” Port 1085 is no longer working.

The issue started when Torguard removed the US servers, and replaced or added mores socks5 in and around Canada
I have used the list of SOCKS5 addresses from Canada 68.71.244.6 to 68.71.244.62 with Port 1085. It’s about 12 addresses. Some work for a few days, a week then fail with no download movements. Lately, they do not work at all. No download with SOCKS5

The workaround:

With VPN running, I disable SOCKs5. Exit out of the uTorrent, ensuring it's not the process. Open uTorrent again. After a few mins, it starts to download without SOCKS5

Have logged a ticket with support. Awaiting resolution

Just want to add that I'm also dead in the water with SOCKS5.  This has been an intermittent problem for a while now.  I wish I knew of a solution that just worked.

On 5/19/2022 at 11:21 PM, Leeroy said:

I realized SOCKs5 proxy with uTorrent client. Proxy: “proxy.torguard.org” Port 1085 is no longer working.

The issue started when Torguard removed the US servers, and replaced or added mores socks5 in and around Canada
I have used the list of SOCKS5 addresses from Canada 68.71.244.6 to 68.71.244.62 with Port 1085. It’s about 12 addresses. Some work for a few days, a week then fail with no download movements. Lately, they do not work at all. No download with SOCKS5

The workaround:

With VPN running, I disable SOCKs5. Exit out of the uTorrent, ensuring it's not the process. Open uTorrent again. After a few mins, it starts to download without SOCKS5

same issue here

this is just bad service for a simple proxy. Going to switch providers.

On 5/20/2022 at 6:21 AM, Leeroy said:

The workaround:

Are you maybe having a DNS issue? if you use socks5 IP directly do those work?

1 hour ago, brucenaifs said:

same issue here

this is just bad service for a simple proxy. Going to switch providers.

What issue are you facing? some DNS providers might not like the amount of IPs under the one hostname and so I would highly suggest using an IP directly https://torguard.net/network/

On 5/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, Ironman273 said:

Just want to add that I'm also dead in the water with SOCKS5.  This has been an intermittent problem for a while now.  I wish I knew of a solution that just worked.

Are you still having this problem?

1 hour ago, Support said:

I definitely am.  Whenever I try to switch IPs and test, I get the message "Testing SOCKS connection to proxy.torguard.org:1080.
Connect failed, Network is unreachable: no further information"  Same message if I put in individual IP addresses

6 hours ago, GA_Dabne said:

I definitely am.  Whenever I try to switch IPs and test, I get the message "Testing SOCKS connection to proxy.torguard.org:1080.
Connect failed, Network is unreachable: no further information"  Same message if I put in individual IP addresses

This message indicates that you cannot reach the network, if this was a proxy issue then you would receive a message back from the proxy host.

Please make sure that you have not enabled IP binding in your client, this in combination with socks5 will not work.

Regards

12 hours ago, Support said:

I have been switching IPs around. because they usually work for a day or two then my connection goes dead again.  Currently I'm using 146.70.27.242 and it is still working.  I changed it 3 days ago.  I'll post if/when it stops working.

On 5/23/2022 at 7:01 PM, Support said:

What issue are you facing? some DNS providers might not like the amount of IPs under the one hostname and so I would highly suggest using an IP directly https://torguard.net/network/

I am facing the same issue as everyone else in this topic. All my trackers display an error when trying to use the proxy, as per instructions - proxy.torguard.org port 1080

Its not my internet or my DNS because if I turn off the proxy setting, all my connection works instantly right away and trackers start working.

This issue re-occurs multiple times per week, sometimes for many hours at a time. I am using extremely fast, open internet connection with no other proxies or custom settings or DNS settings.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:39 AM, brucenaifs said:

Its not my internet or my DNS because if I turn off the proxy setting, all my connection works instantly right away and trackers start working.

🤔, this is false understanding. It is not a question if your providers DNS (which 100% filters) works when you stop using proxy, you clearly stated that you use domain and it was several times clearly stated that you should use IP. Anyway, it was not about your DNS resolving tracker's addresses, it is about resolving the domain which you use for proxy, in your case proxy.torguard.org. Once again, use proxy by ip. If you want to check resolution of proxy, then you have at least to check if domain is resolved. It is normally easily done by nslookup proxy.torguard.org .

On 5/24/2022 at 9:52 AM, Ironman273 said:

I have been switching IPs around. because they usually work for a day or two then my connection goes dead again.  Currently I'm using 146.70.27.242 and it is still working.  I changed it 3 days ago.  I'll post if/when it stops working.

This morning it stopped working again.  Will try other IPs to see if I get it working again.  Very very frustrating to keep doing this.

Just now, Ironman273 said:

This morning it stopped working again.  Will try other IPs to see if I get it working again.  Very very frustrating to keep doing this.

I would be happy to jump on a teamviewer and take a look for you, please contact me through [email protected]

All proxies are online and passing traffic.

Regards

How is this marked resolved? I've been having this exact same problem for weeks. 

-Edit: My issue resolved suddenly. Don't know what caused it or why it resolved.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:04 AM, Shardik said:

How is this marked resolved? I've been having this exact same problem for weeks. 

-Edit: My issue resolved suddenly. Don't know what caused it or why it resolved.

Hi - at the time, there was an intermittent connectivity issue between proxies and backend which caused the issue - this was fully resolved.

I have the same issue Socks5 has been unstable for weeks i keep using a different ip address from those provided in the Socks5 list of adresses but it is still useless .

Still having the same issues   including Testing SOCKS connection to 68.71.244.2:1085...
Proxy connect failed, An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Very unstable connection if i cannot use it then why am i paying for it  ?  

Same here.

For at least a month or two now, I have trouble connecting.

The checkmyiptorrent tracking link keeps reporting Proxy Connect error offline (timed out) - and does not resolve itself.

It still lets me download stuff - but now I am concerned that my IP is out in the open !!

Is Torguard working or isn't it ????

I have tried various IPs for the socks5 proxies, as well as the proxy.torguard.org - yet nothing is working (as of today).

Is Torguard broken ?

On 9/20/2022 at 4:01 PM, bloodless said:

Same here.

For at least a month or two now, I have trouble connecting.

The checkmyiptorrent tracking link keeps reporting Proxy Connect error offline (timed out) - and does not resolve itself.

It still lets me download stuff - but now I am concerned that my IP is out in the open !!

Is Torguard working or isn't it ????

I have tried various IPs for the socks5 proxies, as well as the proxy.torguard.org - yet nothing is working (as of today).

Is Torguard broken ?

Hey @bloodless

It Does seem some of them May be Experiencing Issues , the Very Bottom one UK - London " 146.70.95.74 " Seems to be working Fine though.

I Recommend Contacting Support Through the Ticket System to Let them know so they Can Fix it sooner. >>>> https://torguard.net/submitticket.php

Keep in Mind that Using Socks5 For Torrents "ALL by Itself" Is NOT Secure! Most people use the FULL VPN and Socks5 "as a fallback" Combined! But Only using Socks5 by itself is Risky Because Socks5 Does Not Encrypt the Data and when Only using Socks5 totally by Itself things like DNS can leak through or Even IP can Potentially leak Depending on what Client/Software you are using with the Socks5, For example if a Torrent Client is used then your "Completely" Relying on that Client/Software to Utilize socks5 Properly without leaking and SOME software's/clients DO Leak which is why Most people Combine Using socks5 and the Full VPN Together.