TorGuard

German Servers constantly overloaded

Rate this question

Dennis94

Question

Well the title says it all. On PC i can at least use the port 443 German Server which is really fast but on phone OpenConnect and this 443 Servers dont exist.

Is there any Plan to upgrade German Servers? Or does anybody have a potential fix?

11 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Dennis94 said:

Well the title says it all. On PC i can at least use the port 443 German Server which is really fast but on phone OpenConnect and this 443 Servers dont exist.

Is there any Plan to upgrade German Servers? Or does anybody have a potential fix?

Hi Dennis - whats you're raw output and are you connecting relatively close to the shared Frankfurt servers?

In my humble opinion TorGuard should take the European market as serious as the US market.

There are 700 million European people, compared to 331 millions US inhabitants. Europe roughly doubles the US.

When you look at the total number of servers available in Europe and north america (USA plus Canada) you get 29 servers to 13 servers. A roughly balanced ratio.

If you compare 10Gbit network servers you get:   9 servers in the US to 3 servers in Europe (2 Netherlands, 1 UK). 

Maybe (I tend to believe its true) Torguard handles server distribution in Europe the same as in northern america, as in, server per capita. Most people tend to use servers very close to their physical point of  existence to get the best performance.

From a "normal server" point of view, it would make a lot sense to establish more servers in more densely populated areas / countries. 

When you look at the 10Gbit network its a no brainer to see Europe needs more of these to distribute the load evenly.

So, TG, could you give please give us more servers / bandwidth (and more 10Gb servers too) in Europe? Pretty please with cream on top :-) ?

2 hours ago, Support said:

Hi Dennis - whats you're raw output and are you connecting relatively close to the shared Frankfurt servers?

Hey thanks for the answer. I am only 54km away from Frankfurt and have a 100Mbit Connection. But speedtest go as low 0.5 Mbit on the German Server.
Countrys like Netherlands or Luxemburg work pretty well with up to 90Mbit but Germany as the nearest is really unuseable.

@Dennis94It must be on your side (maybe on your ISP's), in germany LTE is covered pretty well, if you connect your phone over usb and enable usb-tethering and use instead of your home 100Mbit and see if results differ.

I started a test from a server in Vienna with proxy in Frankfurt (using domain):

proxy ip/server: ger.secureconnect.me (in my test it was: 93.177.73.66 which is in Frankfurt)

port: 465

Proxy type: HTTPS/SSL

During the test I was additionaly connected to vpn in UK (London) from which I also get 100% of what ISP offers despite that proxy is used over vpn (wireguard).

You can set instead of ger.secureconnect.me the IP if you want to use permanently only that frankfurt server. If that server for some reason does not work, check ip's with nslookup ger.secureconnect.me and then get their geo location where you probably should choose the closest to you.

Hope that helps

@19807409 Interesting atleast first testing with LTE Hotspot did indead give me 30Mbits on German Server vs 50Mbit without VPN. Still quite a hit but at least manageable VS the 0.5 Mbit from before.

Will test tomorrow over the course of the day and test if it was a fluke or if it really has to do with ISP(Deutsche Telekom)

I also tried out the Proxy but the Torguard App only has options for HTTP and SOCKS5 so it didnt work. 
The Windows 11 Proxy options didnt have any options to select at all so that also didnt connect.

Still thank you for your insight so far!

@Dennis94 yes, Deutsche Telekom (and Magenta in other countries, that is their name) does have issues. In my case, I can not connect to NL servers with Telkom as ISP, be it their mobile connection or fibre/coax. For some reason their network does not work with all servers offered from TorGuard, best example are NL 10Gbit servers which do not work with that ISP as it should since quite TorGuards existance.

I am not sure which router you do use, telekom routers have kinda open access for their employees and they always can see all your devices and activity (they will never admit how much they analyse that data). Changing DNS can help too, but be aware that most popular DNS providers are as rogue with your data as google and facebook. Telekoms dns also blocks too many pages. Those would be my experiences with Telekom, for the rest they are not bad, find proxy working with your provider and watch it how it performs to know which is best, it took me some time to find best servers for my ISP.

Also, if you use another mobile provider, some cheap as example, then you will see no changes if it leases telekoms network (their infrastructure).

How can you connect to those servers which Telekom refuses?: you can use proxy over vpn or you can rent some cloud server to which you connect with your own vpn and from there on it goes further, that way you get around telekoms restrictions, however, most torguard servers work with telekom and there is no need for the hassle.

@19807409So i continued the testing LTE from a cheap Telefonica Offbrand gives me pretty good results between 30-45 Mbits out of 50 maximum so it is pretty clear that its a problem with Telekom and Torguard Servers.

For Router i dont use Telekoms own choice but a Fritz Box 7490. Its not the newest of their models but pretty reliable i would say. I also encountered blocked sites. I just use DNS from Torguard themselves or if not connected to VPN 
i use quad9 but yeah I dont know how trustworthy their Privacy promise is.

So as a final conclusion: Maybe Torguard can provide some fixes to those servers that seem to dislike Deutsche Telekom/Magenta as ISP. But till that day comes I use the closest Servers that do work like NL, LU, BEL or SUI till the works FTTH start at my home
which is already decided to happen but no specific date yet. Only good thing is Telekom has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: It seems I found a very fast German Server with 97Mbits speed over Wireguard. I pinned it on PC but wonder is there a way to use a specific server on iOS and Android?

@Dennis94 ok, for one we have found that the issue lays on your side. Just for a test, if you have your ISP's router, then connect over it instead of your FritzBox to see if the issue is on your FritzBox's Soft-/Hardware. If your ISP's router works, then I would assume that you can have bridged mode for their cable internet or specific apn which is assignes real ip address and port forwarding works.

Wireguard in general should give you quite exactly the same results as your ISP offers (like when you surf without VPN). TorGuard does not list it, but many shared servers are 10Gbit servers too, with highspeed connections of 500Mbit-1Gbit many have issues with ISP, already in 2016 the slowest which I got with 20Gbit connection to shared servers was 700Mbit, the fastest 1.7Gb and on TorGuards 10Gbit servers around 4,5Gbit from US and around 8-9 and London which is much closer was also 4,5 which were the limits of that protocol and hardware at that time, with better hardware I already got 8-9Gbit on 10Gbit servers. So far, from 2016 to today, I guess TorGuard uses more modern servers and performance could get only better.

Case: the issue is with Fritzbox

If you do not want to spend money for new router, then use your ISP's which works. If you do not want to buy new router but are ready to buy some cheap&good for affordable price, then er605 from tp-link would be around € 50 and has multiwan (max 4 ports) which means you easily could have a backup connection over lte (as you have one on your phone anyway) and for cable owners it allows you to have multiple ip addresses. Together with vlan's you can configure then management network of critical devices and one homecall vlan for devices to which you do want to have access but those should have no access to other vlan's, etc.. Why I explained it a little more is because it gives you ability to use vpn over different ip than devices using clearnet, you can play quite a lot and create differnt nice setups, including extending your wireless network as well as centralized management of your network.

Case: proxy also does not work with ISP's router

In that case I would contact ISP and inform that it seems your router is broken as services which you use get very lame results, in most cases they will send you latest on stock available router which is mostly better model than one which you have (router matters). Normally cable providers provide excellent routers for bridged mode, you just need to use your own firewall/wlan/dhcp/... . In that case, they do not have any access to your wan side as they have to their own routers.

Case: your main connection is LTE

make sure that your signal is good enough and that your clearnet works. You can greatly improve 4G with outdoor antennas/router, especially if it is only 800Mhz (rural areas)

When all of that fails, then I would consider taking some other ISP unless your contract is not good enough and you can cancel your contract and get some bonus signing new one with them or some other.

When I tested your ISP last time, there were issues but there are no issues with most servers which torguard offers and there are still plenty which you can use, germany is not that big, London is still closer to you than LA to NY, you easily can use proxies from nearby countries which will work as fast as one in Frankfurt.

Two years ago, best results which I got in my tests were from Kabel Deutschland in Munich, not sure about Frankfurt, but you generally should be pretty well connected if you are anywhere in Frankfurt, probably best in Germany.

@19807409 Sadly i dont have another Router but a Wifi 6 router is on the list of things I want to purchase soon.

We also found out that part of the problem is the Pixel 6 Smartphone from Google. While my old iPhone gets 50Mbits(max Speed on my LTE contract) the Pixel really has big problems. 
Really sad that this phone is such a buggy mess even months after release.

And finally after weeks of horrible speed on the German Servers for ~2 days now they work great again on PC and iPhone at least. I dont know if some stuff happened in the background maybe Torguard made adjustments that fixed the problem?

So i guess for now thats it. Thank you for your time and insight @19807409 !

cheers

• Haha 1

@Dennis94 you are welcome.

For your problem about Pixel 6, again, here your wireless could be the issue too, I am not aware which wireless chip pixel 6 has and if it supports 5Ghz, some devices sometimes do not work with some other devices, especially for wireless it is a case. On your Pixel 6 you still can test it over mobile connection, but if you have 5Ghz connection you should be able to get what your isp offers. I think the issue is with your wireless.

If you want to buy good access point, check out tp-link's eap series, eap610 as example is very cheap and is enough for, compared to eap620 it can handle max. 1000 wirelss clients where eap610 can 100. It is wifi6 and acts as access point, just connect it to lan and configure, you do not need new router for wlan, but if you do want a cheap one, look at er605 for € 50 or new v2 with better cpu etc (is not available now, but very soon).

Take also note about LTE and that it varies in speeds, if you use LTE for your home internet connection, then buy external antenna, they are not that expensive but will improve your lte performance many times, beside that, you take some radiotion out of house which is very good. I doubt TorGuard did any changes, it is based on your connection.

Wish you good luck on further findings, good that it works now.

On 4/27/2022 at 3:43 PM, Dennis94 said:

Hey thanks for the answer. I am only 54km away from Frankfurt and have a 100Mbit Connection. But speedtest go as low 0.5 Mbit on the German Server.
Countrys like Netherlands or Luxemburg work pretty well with up to 90Mbit but Germany as the nearest is really unuseable.

This has nothing to do with Torguard servers in Frankfurt. I connect to the Frankfurt node and have about 500-900 MBit connectivity speed. I assume, your internet provider is throttling here.