TorGuard

how to remove torguard client completely from ubuntu?

Rate this question

oggie

Question

So I installed the toguard client on ubuntu to test out wireguard.   It was a little faster, but I don't like the idea of having to rely on a client.  Plus, port forwarding didn't seem to work for my dedicated IP.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to uninstall it . dpkg -r torguard doesn't completely remove it.  Somewhere it's still trying to run an executable in /opt/torguard after removal.  And as an added bonus, it's now messed up my networking somehow so I can't use my openvpn client in network manager. It's able to connect no problem, but now the port forwarding doesn't work.

2 answers to this question

On 4/23/2022 at 1:35 AM, oggie said:

So I installed the toguard client on ubuntu to test out wireguard.   It was a little faster, but I don't like the idea of having to rely on a client.  Plus, port forwarding didn't seem to work for my dedicated IP.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to uninstall it . dpkg -r torguard doesn't completely remove it.  Somewhere it's still trying to run an executable in /opt/torguard after removal.  And as an added bonus, it's now messed up my networking somehow so I can't use my openvpn client in network manager. It's able to connect no problem, but now the port forwarding doesn't work.

Hi Oggie

Do you still need a hand with this?

On 4/23/2022 at 2:35 AM, oggie said:

To uninstall it fully and remove all files (like /opt/torguard folder), run:

sudo apt purge --remove --autoremove -y torguard

Main advantage of wireguard protocol after the performance is not used in torguard's client which is a simple ability to add own peers by importing something like peers.conf. One can add pre/post up jobs and add peers, however, to write those scripts takes one way longer than to maintenance wireguard config directly. Sure, with scripting everything can be done, but it does not make it more user friendly than wireguard's original client.

And as an added bonus, it's now messed up my networking somehow so I can't use my openvpn client in network manager. It's able to connect no problem, but now the port forwarding doesn't work.

This is probably well known bug (I at least see it as a bug). On ubuntu, it does mess up your dns settings. You do not need to uninstall tg client, you can leave it, to fix dns issue you can go to dns settings of torguard client and set there any other dns server than currently set, in my case for some reason level3 dns was set when I tested few weeks ago resulting in no internet connection at all, letting me reset few routers and recheck few vpn configs to just find out that dns settings were messed up by torguard client installation, where the installation itself does not mess anything up, just when you run it for the first time after installation. Hope that helps

Somewhere it's still trying to run an executable in /opt/torguard after removal

If you do not know and are not sure, simply reinstall torguard client once again and immediataly after the installation uninstall it:

sudo apt install -y ~/torguard.deb; sudo apt purge --remove --autoremove -y torguard