TorGuard

TorGuard Banning US BitTorrent?

Rate this topic

JustAUser

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/vpn-provider-bans-bittorrent-after-getting-sued-by-film-studios/

"No logs" VPN provider TorGuard has reached a legal settlement this month with over two dozen movie studios that sued the company for encouraging piracy and copyright infringement.

In the settlement, TorGuard has agreed to block BitTorrent traffic for its users.

So was this solely based on those using SOCKS5 Proxies(unencrypted) and having their contents sniffed through, rather than using the VPN itself? How else would they know who was doing what. Or was the "no logs" put facetiously and all users are compromised? Seems like this is going to set a precedence for other VPN providers.

• Support changed the title to TorGuard Banning US BitTorrent?
On 3/13/2022 at 6:57 PM, Cytane89 said:

So was this solely based on those using SOCKS5 Proxies(unencrypted) and having their contents sniffed through, rather than using the VPN itself? How else would they know who was doing what. Or was the "no logs" put facetiously and all users are compromised? Seems like this is going to set a precedence for other VPN providers.

Torguard is blocking torrent traffic on servers within the United States. Not outside of the United States which is another jurisdiction.

So what is the actual current status of being able to torrent using any of the US VPN servers?

Parroting the Torguard Official Blog Post does not answer this question.

10 hours ago, gderf said:

So what is the actual current status of being able to torrent using any of the US VPN servers?

I checked a couple days ago and it was still working so idk when this is supposed to go into effect.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gderf said:

It's blocked now. Wasn't working for me, until I switched it to Mexico; and Support confirmed.

• 2 weeks later...

Way to Go Torguard.  by trying to "Save" your business, you're effectively going to kill it.  Hope it was worth it. 

Let's Go Brandon

FJB

Also, just another reason to start walking away from holllyweird.  as if we needed more.  99% crap coming out of that place the last decade. steady decline. 

On 3/31/2022 at 4:51 AM, FB2022 said:

It's blocked now. Wasn't working for me, until I switched it to Mexico; and Support confirmed.

it has been working for me locally which is weird. I haven't noticed a decline. yet.  so what does that mean? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Therealone said:

it has been working for me locally which is weird. I haven't noticed a decline. yet.  so what does that mean? 

Which is why I asked the question about the status two weeks ago. My only guess is that TorGuard announced the blocking, but not when it would actually start.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gderf said:

Which is why I asked the question about the status two weeks ago. My only guess is that TorGuard announced the blocking, but not when it would actually start.

The irony is that hollywood has been in a STEADY decline for the last decade to the point now, they just pump out quantity over quality with many people turning away from them.  myself included.  They are bullies.  and they deserve to be ignored for their stupid woke agenda bullshi*  I'm already looking at other options. Torguard is absolutely pathetic in doing this.  the irony is they are trying to "save" the business but are in reality just going to choke it out as they only assume other options won't be available.  You know what they say about assumptions.  lol

• Like 1