Jump to content
TorGuard

TorGuard to block us torrent traffic

Rate this topic


Brainbleach
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Cytane89 said:

I have QBittorrent binded to the WG network interface so any and all torrents simply refuse to download unless I'm connected to the VPN, if that's what you were asking.

 

 

image.png

 

Most if not all modern BitTorrent clients have the ability to encrypt traffic.

Your client may also present options for "decentralized" peer connection methods which allow for the exchange of peers without connecting to the public trackers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@BukkakeBlaster but he clearly has shown that qBittorrent has connection only over wireguard interface, meaning that all connections to any decentralized peer connections still can be only established if wireguard interface is up. To leak something, one needs to misconfigure quite a lot. If you are using torguard client, then your wireguard interface's name is probably torguard-wg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

 

Most if not all modern BitTorrent clients have the ability to encrypt traffic.

Your client may also present options for "decentralized" peer connection methods which allow for the exchange of peers without connecting to the public trackers.

 

I'm sorry I was referring to the torrent clients ability to negotiate a transfer prior to communicating over an "encrypted channel" firewalls won't normally identify the L7 protocol associated with torrents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you can use encrypted communication of clients which was ages ago a way how to go around isp filtering torrent traffic or if you do not trust 100% your vpn provider, you should use enforced encryption. You are talking about DHT, right? DHT is very specific and can lead to issues, well known issue is with torrent trackers where one's credentials could be actually copied, that is when people in mass started disabling DHT. Next to DHT, there are also local peers (LPD) and there is peer exchange (PeX). If you do override like it was shown, then no matter which of them you activate, communication goes over wireguard interface, including LPD. In case that you say you want to enable LPD and override by selecting wireguard interface, then you need to allow communication wg<->lan interface, then LPD should work and it is easily done with iptables in postup config of your wireguard. With torguard client you do have access to local network, meaning that in case you do use torguard-wg, you probably do not need any additional settings to make LPD work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

you can use encrypted communication of clients which was ages ago a way how to go around isp filtering torrent traffic or if you do not trust 100% your vpn provider, you should use enforced encryption. You are talking about DHT, right? DHT is very specific and can lead to issues, well known issue is with torrent trackers where one's credentials could be actually copied, that is when people in mass started disabling DHT. Next to DHT, there are also local peers (LPD) and there is peer exchange (PeX). If you do override like it was shown, then no matter which of them you activate, communication goes over wireguard interface, including LPD. In case that you say you want to enable LPD and override by selecting wireguard interface, then you need to allow communication wg<->lan interface, then LPD should work and it is easily done with iptables in postup config of your wireguard. With torguard client you do have access to local network, meaning that in case you do use torguard-wg, you probably do not need any additional settings to make LPD work.

 

Yes I'm still unsure of why the government is so involved in restrictions on software usage.

 

Probably because BitTorrent is free.

 

I hope people in the future find some feasibility in supporting open source platforms and the internet's occlusion from regulatory authorities.

 

Have you tried Kubuntu 22.04? Im a die hard Linux fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

Yes I'm still unsure of why the government is so involved in restrictions on software usage.

 

Probably because BitTorrent is free.

 

I hope people in the future find some feasibility in supporting open source platforms and the internet's occlusion from regulatory authorities.

Probably you can direct few emails to following companies which are partners of BitTorrent:

image.png

As you see, those are allowed to use BitTorrent and they use it to enrich those whose interest NPAA represents and that is why it is allowed for them. For you it is not allowed to get services for free and to get paid services by somebody who does not pay them their share, that is why there is no excuse and they see in you somebody who actually destroys their investments into companies from screenshots above, remember ministry of truth? The same is with IT, decentralized technology, as most lucrative businesses are reserved for govs only. Whoever oposes it, they hunt them and majority mainstream listeners cheers about something they do not understand.

You really should consider moving to some another country where things which are important for you are allowed, do not expect torrenting to be allowed at all, billions were not invested for nothing and sadly you are not beneficiary of that business.

15 minutes ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

Have you tried Kubuntu 22.04? Im a die hard Linux fan.

Did you notice that there is no BitTorrent client for linux?

Ubuntu is ok, but you are misleading yourself badly if you think that with Ubuntu it is much more different than with Windows in regard of gov spying on you. You might probably want to know that Microsoft sponsors ubuntu, that launchpad and github are also in Microsofts control and Ubuntu was caught on shady actions, best which GitHub as example could do is to threat silence and silence, Ubuntu's Engineer was caught publicly admitting and the reaction from Launchpad, Github and Ubuntu were silencing, silencing, silencing! You do not want to trust Ubuntu. KUbuntu is ubuntu with simply KDM gui which is GUI which users comming from windows like as it is very windowslike, but in general if I use gui, then it is mostly gnome.

You should also know that Ubuntu is based on debian and if you already choose debian based OS, then probably best is to choose debian itself.

I am using only linux, I do have on few machines ubuntu too but only for test & development purpose as there are still many using ubuntu. However, it is very good if you move on from Windolls Spy OS to any linux, even if it is Linux Spy OS called ubuntu.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

Did you notice that there is no BitTorrent client for linux?

 

That's not true. Transmission is a BitTorrent client for Linux.

 

25 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

You should also know that Ubuntu is based on debian and if you already choose debian based OS, then probably best is to choose debian itself

 

Yeah but I don't like building OS-specific binaries for dependencies.

 

Ive been using Linux since Mandrake.

 

27 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

Microsoft sponsors ubuntu, that launchpad and github are also in Microsofts control and Ubuntu was caught on shady actions, best which GitHub as example could do is to threat silence and silence, Ubuntu's Engineer was caught publicly admitting and the reaction from Launchpad, Github and Ubuntu were silencing, silencing, silencing

 

I agree I'm not a Microsoft fan either. I've been developing on a lot of open source platforms and I use my own modified OS. 

 

That's interesting you sound like you've been in this game for a while.

 

I use TorGuard mainly to help my web automation tools and so forth operate smoothly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

That's not true. Transmission is a BitTorrent client for Linux.

Once again, there is NO BitTorrent client from bittorrent.com for linux, if you do not believe it, then go to https://www.bittorrent.com/ and show me download link. Of course there are clients for linux which support that protocol, but there is no BitTorrent client, Transmission is not BitTorrent's client, neither is qbittorrent nor ctorrent or any other, none of them is from bittorrent.com

5 minutes ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

That's interesting you sound like you've been in this game for a while.

I love this 🏀 game, but we talk only about IT and technologies, which is a segment having probably the most burn outs, it is nice to come into ages without nuking own's health by staying on ball, especially if talking about development, some study few years not to use their wisdom at all, where as a developer or in IT in general one needs to study every day during whole career, otherwise the wisdom becomes obsolete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

especially if talking about development, some study few years not to use their wisdom at all, where as a developer or in IT in general one needs to study every day during whole career, otherwise the wisdom becomes obsolete

 

Haha this is true in a lot of cases however I'm finding in more instances that matters on the development side are mostly challenged by what's already available.

 

I've come across so many instances where there were tools already available to help my builds meet my deployment standards.

 

However I've lately been playing a lot more with docker and I'm hoping to build my programs to be more cloud ready for AI related functionality.

 

I noticed with WireGuard there are still so many challenges in the user end of the spectrum where the functionality meets limitations.

 

I'm surprised something as simple as hashing cannot be "re-negotiated" (generate a unique hash upon every instance of a connection) by the server and client to allow for better security.

 

This is something even torrents do apparently but WireGuard will not.

 

If I wrote one I doubt TorGuard would even use it LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...