TorGuard

TorGuard to block us torrent traffic

Rate this topic

Brainbleach

12 hours ago, Cytane89 said:

I have QBittorrent binded to the WG network interface so any and all torrents simply refuse to download unless I'm connected to the VPN, if that's what you were asking.

image.png

Most if not all modern BitTorrent clients have the ability to encrypt traffic.

Your client may also present options for "decentralized" peer connection methods which allow for the exchange of peers without connecting to the public trackers.

@BukkakeBlaster but he clearly has shown that qBittorrent has connection only over wireguard interface, meaning that all connections to any decentralized peer connections still can be only established if wireguard interface is up. To leak something, one needs to misconfigure quite a lot. If you are using torguard client, then your wireguard interface's name is probably torguard-wg.

1 hour ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

Most if not all modern BitTorrent clients have the ability to encrypt traffic.

Your client may also present options for "decentralized" peer connection methods which allow for the exchange of peers without connecting to the public trackers.

I'm sorry I was referring to the torrent clients ability to negotiate a transfer prior to communicating over an "encrypted channel" firewalls won't normally identify the L7 protocol associated with torrents.

you can use encrypted communication of clients which was ages ago a way how to go around isp filtering torrent traffic or if you do not trust 100% your vpn provider, you should use enforced encryption. You are talking about DHT, right? DHT is very specific and can lead to issues, well known issue is with torrent trackers where one's credentials could be actually copied, that is when people in mass started disabling DHT. Next to DHT, there are also local peers (LPD) and there is peer exchange (PeX). If you do override like it was shown, then no matter which of them you activate, communication goes over wireguard interface, including LPD. In case that you say you want to enable LPD and override by selecting wireguard interface, then you need to allow communication wg<->lan interface, then LPD should work and it is easily done with iptables in postup config of your wireguard. With torguard client you do have access to local network, meaning that in case you do use torguard-wg, you probably do not need any additional settings to make LPD work.

3 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

you can use encrypted communication of clients which was ages ago a way how to go around isp filtering torrent traffic or if you do not trust 100% your vpn provider, you should use enforced encryption. You are talking about DHT, right? DHT is very specific and can lead to issues, well known issue is with torrent trackers where one's credentials could be actually copied, that is when people in mass started disabling DHT. Next to DHT, there are also local peers (LPD) and there is peer exchange (PeX). If you do override like it was shown, then no matter which of them you activate, communication goes over wireguard interface, including LPD. In case that you say you want to enable LPD and override by selecting wireguard interface, then you need to allow communication wg<->lan interface, then LPD should work and it is easily done with iptables in postup config of your wireguard. With torguard client you do have access to local network, meaning that in case you do use torguard-wg, you probably do not need any additional settings to make LPD work.

Yes I'm still unsure of why the government is so involved in restrictions on software usage.

Probably because BitTorrent is free.

I hope people in the future find some feasibility in supporting open source platforms and the internet's occlusion from regulatory authorities.

Have you tried Kubuntu 22.04? Im a die hard Linux fan.

15 minutes ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

Yes I'm still unsure of why the government is so involved in restrictions on software usage.

Probably because BitTorrent is free.

I hope people in the future find some feasibility in supporting open source platforms and the internet's occlusion from regulatory authorities.

Probably you can direct few emails to following companies which are partners of BitTorrent:

image.png

As you see, those are allowed to use BitTorrent and they use it to enrich those whose interest NPAA represents and that is why it is allowed for them. For you it is not allowed to get services for free and to get paid services by somebody who does not pay them their share, that is why there is no excuse and they see in you somebody who actually destroys their investments into companies from screenshots above, remember ministry of truth? The same is with IT, decentralized technology, as most lucrative businesses are reserved for govs only. Whoever oposes it, they hunt them and majority mainstream listeners cheers about something they do not understand.

You really should consider moving to some another country where things which are important for you are allowed, do not expect torrenting to be allowed at all, billions were not invested for nothing and sadly you are not beneficiary of that business.

15 minutes ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

Have you tried Kubuntu 22.04? Im a die hard Linux fan.

Did you notice that there is no BitTorrent client for linux?

Ubuntu is ok, but you are misleading yourself badly if you think that with Ubuntu it is much more different than with Windows in regard of gov spying on you. You might probably want to know that Microsoft sponsors ubuntu, that launchpad and github are also in Microsofts control and Ubuntu was caught on shady actions, best which GitHub as example could do is to threat silence and silence, Ubuntu's Engineer was caught publicly admitting and the reaction from Launchpad, Github and Ubuntu were silencing, silencing, silencing! You do not want to trust Ubuntu. KUbuntu is ubuntu with simply KDM gui which is GUI which users comming from windows like as it is very windowslike, but in general if I use gui, then it is mostly gnome.

You should also know that Ubuntu is based on debian and if you already choose debian based OS, then probably best is to choose debian itself.

I am using only linux, I do have on few machines ubuntu too but only for test & development purpose as there are still many using ubuntu. However, it is very good if you move on from Windolls Spy OS to any linux, even if it is Linux Spy OS called ubuntu.

24 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

Did you notice that there is no BitTorrent client for linux?

That's not true. Transmission is a BitTorrent client for Linux.

25 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

You should also know that Ubuntu is based on debian and if you already choose debian based OS, then probably best is to choose debian itself

Yeah but I don't like building OS-specific binaries for dependencies.

Ive been using Linux since Mandrake.

27 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

Microsoft sponsors ubuntu, that launchpad and github are also in Microsofts control and Ubuntu was caught on shady actions, best which GitHub as example could do is to threat silence and silence, Ubuntu's Engineer was caught publicly admitting and the reaction from Launchpad, Github and Ubuntu were silencing, silencing, silencing

I agree I'm not a Microsoft fan either. I've been developing on a lot of open source platforms and I use my own modified OS. 

That's interesting you sound like you've been in this game for a while.

I use TorGuard mainly to help my web automation tools and so forth operate smoothly

2 minutes ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

That's not true. Transmission is a BitTorrent client for Linux.

Once again, there is NO BitTorrent client from bittorrent.com for linux, if you do not believe it, then go to https://www.bittorrent.com/ and show me download link. Of course there are clients for linux which support that protocol, but there is no BitTorrent client, Transmission is not BitTorrent's client, neither is qbittorrent nor ctorrent or any other, none of them is from bittorrent.com

5 minutes ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

That's interesting you sound like you've been in this game for a while.

I love this 🏀 game, but we talk only about IT and technologies, which is a segment having probably the most burn outs, it is nice to come into ages without nuking own's health by staying on ball, especially if talking about development, some study few years not to use their wisdom at all, where as a developer or in IT in general one needs to study every day during whole career, otherwise the wisdom becomes obsolete.

31 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

especially if talking about development, some study few years not to use their wisdom at all, where as a developer or in IT in general one needs to study every day during whole career, otherwise the wisdom becomes obsolete

Haha this is true in a lot of cases however I'm finding in more instances that matters on the development side are mostly challenged by what's already available.

I've come across so many instances where there were tools already available to help my builds meet my deployment standards.

However I've lately been playing a lot more with docker and I'm hoping to build my programs to be more cloud ready for AI related functionality.

I noticed with WireGuard there are still so many challenges in the user end of the spectrum where the functionality meets limitations.

I'm surprised something as simple as hashing cannot be "re-negotiated" (generate a unique hash upon every instance of a connection) by the server and client to allow for better security.

This is something even torrents do apparently but WireGuard will not.

If I wrote one I doubt TorGuard would even use it LOL

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 9:09 PM, 19807409 said:

Once again, there is NO BitTorrent client from bittorrent.com for linux, if you do not believe it, then go to https://www.bittorrent.com/ and show me download link. Of course there are clients for linux which support that protocol, but there is no BitTorrent client, Transmission is not BitTorrent's client, neither is qbittorrent nor ctorrent or any other, none of them is from bittorrent.com

I love this 🏀 game, but we talk only about IT and technologies, which is a segment having probably the most burn outs, it is nice to come into ages without nuking own's health by staying on ball, especially if talking about development, some study few years not to use their wisdom at all, where as a developer or in IT in general one needs to study every day during whole career, otherwise the wisdom becomes obsolete.

What's the point of using a client from bittorrent.com ? They are partners with µTorrent and very well known for their hidden advertisement software within the client software. Transmission, libTorrent and qBittorrent are excellent clients under Linux using the BitTorrent protocol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

1 hour ago, public-name said:

What's the point of using a client from bittorrent.com ? They are partners with µTorrent and very well known for their hidden advertisement software within the client software. Transmission, libTorrent and qBittorrent are excellent clients under Linux using the BitTorrent protocol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

Sometimes as a proof of concept developers will push their "own model" for a particular service and allow people to build on them freely.

If you have a preference for a BitTorrent client please share what you use outside of US servers with TorGuard.

I'll start:

Resilio Sync - allows me to keep my files in sync with my server.

Transmission & Transmission Remote - to download Linux ISOs and not have to worry about generating a checksum to verify validity.

I like uTorrents flexibility and how they built on BitTorrent to handle tracker-less negotiation of peers.

Torrents generate a lot of fragmentation for my RAID-Z filesystem however so I prefer to download to a temporary location first.

@public-name I have never claimed I use bittorrent's original client, I also did not claim there is something better or not. I claimed that bittorrent.com has never had Linux client. If you want to read about torrenting, you might want to visit rutracker's help section, quite everything is very well explained for newbies there. You will suddenly find also reasons why mju Torrent which you praised is not good in its later versions, not just because there is adware and promotion, but due to security issues too. If you are using public only trackers, you might not care, but if you use some credentials, you better look up at mju torrents problems, many still use best working version, mostly some early 1.x version.

@BukkakeBlaster you probably should check rclone which I guess would replace well resilio if you like it (works with any storage provider). Transmission is very basic, if you need functionality of mju torrent, you probably should try qBittorrent.

10 hours ago, 19807409 said:

@public-name I have never claimed I use bittorrent's original client, I also did not claim there is something better or not. I claimed that bittorrent.com has never had Linux client. If you want to read about torrenting, you might want to visit rutracker's help section, quite everything is very well explained for newbies there. You will suddenly find also reasons why mju Torrent which you praised is not good in its later versions, not just because there is adware and promotion, but due to security issues too. If you are using public only trackers, you might not care, but if you use some credentials, you better look up at mju torrents problems, many still use best working version, mostly some early 1.x version.

@BukkakeBlaster you probably should check rclone which I guess would replace well resilio if you like it (works with any storage provider). Transmission is very basic, if you need functionality of mju torrent, you probably should try qBittorrent.

RClone doesn't offer on the fly encryption I don't believe. I also don't think it works natively cross platform the way I usually sync my personal pc, cell phone, and server.

Resilio Sync is nice as sharing files can be as simple as sharing a hash.

I like to build on my own cloud and use my own collab tools.

41 minutes ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

RClone doesn't offer on the fly encryption I don't believe.

sure it does, here is a quick how-to for you where you can test it quickly.

1. create rclone.conf file, in linux it is mostly ~/.config/rclone/rclone.conf

2. create two secure long password, as example by hashing some of your common short passwords:

echo MyPassword | sha512sum
# result: f190c4173eedbbf6503044d9cffea05cdf4a7c69d837b4425b3d19cdccdbfd56722e5c2947809504f9d27138035ee21a57ba10fc29168de44617e57d813bdf0b

echo MyPassword2 | sha512sum
# result: 2dfec992db00e69800872dcc46913b58433a1cdda601037ea0738ca7e66fbc27eacb2572650bdcb45f81726afb032fd444820aa8f219c2998737fb1ceb43226c

2. add local, local-trezor entries to your config, where trezor one will be with file and filename encryption. For password and password2 I use hash sums from above

[local]
type = local
nounc = true
one_file_system = true
case_sensitive = true
no_preallocate = true
no_set_modtime = true

[local-trezor]
type = crypt
remote = local:
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = f190c4173eedbbf6503044d9cffea05cdf4a7c69d837b4425b3d19cdccdbfd56722e5c2947809504f9d27138035ee21a57ba10fc29168de44617e57d813bdf0b
password2 = 2dfec992db00e69800872dcc46913b58433a1cdda601037ea0738ca7e66fbc27eacb2572650bdcb45f81726afb032fd444820aa8f219c2998737fb1ceb43226c
no_data_encryption = false

3. Copy file to trezor (file encrypted as well as its filename)

# copy to current folder non encrypted
rclone copy ~/example.doc local:

# copy to current folder encrypted
rclone copy ~/example.doc local-trezor:

in case you run both commands, in same folder you will have two files, one example.doc and another would be some cryptic filename. If you want to see filenames decrypted, you can run:

rclone ls local-trezor:

That would be it, enough for testing locally on disk. I guess all storage providers are supported, I did not come across any which does not. When using copy or move by moving/copying files from one cloud provider to another, then many providers support remote upload which spares you full bandwidth when you move files from one cloud storage to another. You can also sync one way and bidirectional, in short, you can add all your storages to the conf, use it easily in terminal as well as mounting it easily as drive. You can define cache options and much more. As example, moving let's say all your data from google drive to lets say onedrive would be:

rclone moveto google: onedrive:

# if you want to see progress etc.., add --progress to your command
rclone moveto --progress google: onedrive:

Resilio Sync is nice as sharing files can be as simple as sharing a hash.

that is nice option, isnt it :). resilio is device-to-device file-transfer, based on bittorrent, however, many, actually all cloud providers offer possibilty to share easily files, have a video/audio player, some kind of a gallery, some algos for face recognition etc... . All that is nice, you can share your files in many ways, resilio still hosts your files on your storage, meaning that you for sure can use that path and share it, as example over ssh and that is where you could use rclone.

I guess if you try rclone, you will know for yourself if you like it or not, just wanted to give a tip.

I also don't think it works natively cross platform the way I usually sync my personal pc, cell phone, and server.

Actually it is, for quite all platforms except android, for android and apple's there is some beta which only works with few providers, so yes, in that point you are correct, cell phone could be troublesome as you do not use cloud storage.

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2022 at 11:22 PM, ColonelPanic said:

Well that's unfortunate.  The "lifetime" subscription I bought in November was...ill-timed.

Back to this game:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ijfqfLrJWLUVBfJZ_YalVpstWsjw-JGzkvMd6u2jqEk/edit#gid=231869418

-COL

Sorry I missed this. Ever notice all these reviews are sure to have affiliate links with their "top-rated" vpn providers. Between that and a reddit sub that seems to think one vpn provider (hint: never has a sale, starts with "M") I  am ready to scream. I guess word of mouth from friends is the only thing to trust. Personally I have a good deal with Torguard so I'm happy.

To be honest to use a vpn that resides in the country you live in isn't the smartest thing in the world if you think about it. I was let's say straddling the fence during MPAA's Jack Valenti  years. The MPAA was mostly known for being a huge pain, enjoying theatrics more tha real results. I would hate to think what they pay their legal team. At least these firms who send DMCA notices to ISPs are noting more than bounty hunters getting commissions for every notice they send. A darn good reason to torrent with a vpn.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 8:03 PM, Support said:

Hey guys,

We are not throwing anyone under the bus, we are not logging, we are not doing anything of this type, SOCKS5 is not affected - we have seen a lot of click bait headlines who have no idea of the alternatives or what the terms are of the settlement would have been but make assumption's anyway - blocking torrents in the US was the best way forward in this settlement and a small price to pay.

Nothing has changed other than the fact we will have a filter that works in real time to block torrent traffic, this was already implemented on residential/streaming IP servers and always has been - this is done in real time at the interface, it does not require any form of logging.

And btw, if you think we will be the only one, think again!

We done what's best for the user and will protect our users vigorously as we have always done.

Regards

Mike

So what you're saying is since I can no longer use this with uTorrent to keep prying eyes off my torrenting traffic I no longer have a need for torguard.  Got it!

Can you kindly direct me where to file a claim to get my money back for my subscription?

13 minutes ago, Somebody said:

So what you're saying is since I can no longer use this with uTorrent to keep prying eyes off my torrenting traffic I no longer have a need for torguard.  Got it!

Can you kindly direct me where to file a claim to get my money back for my subscription?

Nevermind, I found it. Cancellation requested as of 8/14/2022.  I hope there will not be trouble as I would hate to have to go through a charge back process with Chase.

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed that people can still download torrent traffic on the US Severs.... Torguard says not to do this but here is my question....

If Torguard keeps no logs, doesn't monitor traffic of any kind in real time what so ever, than how can they enforce this decision? As of yesterday the servers in the US are full speed open for p2p traffic(0-throttling). So if nothing is monitored and 0-logs are kept then what's to stop anyone from doing this currently? 

just wondering...

3 minutes ago, Sacredpotion25 said:

I've noticed that people can still download torrent traffic on the US Severs.... Torguard says not to do this but here is my question....

If Torguard keeps no logs, doesn't monitor traffic of any kind in real time what so ever, than how can they enforce this decision? As of yesterday the servers in the US are full speed open for p2p traffic(0-throttling). So if nothing is monitored and 0-logs are kept then what's to stop anyone from doing this currently? 

just wondering...

This has been already addressed in the thread several times.

May be unblocked based on encryption, unidentifiable packet header, or even an unidentifiable tracker. 

1 minute ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

This has been already addressed in the thread several times.

May be unblocked based on encryption, unidentifiable packet header, or even an unidentifiable tracker. 

if this has been brought up already i apologize, I was skimming through this thread but didn't really see anyone point blank ask about it. If I am securely connected (Ipleak test coming back with flying colors as all good) then is there anything i have to worry about? I am using the strongest settings I can for the most security. 

1 minute ago, Sacredpotion25 said:

if this has been brought up already i apologize, I was skimming through this thread but didn't really see anyone point blank ask about it. If I am securely connected (Ipleak test coming back with flying colors as all good) then is there anything i have to worry about? I am using the strongest settings I can for the most security. 

Always Torrent using encryption, decentralized communication, and amongst trusted hosters.

Randomizing ports can help deter people from tracking you or throttling.

Always set your torrent client to communicate only through the TorGuard network interface 

1 minute ago, BukkakeBlaster said:

Always Torrent using encryption, decentralized communication, and amongst trusted hosters.

Randomizing ports can help deter people from tracking you or throttling.

Always set your torrent client to communicate only through the TorGuard network interface 

Thank You. again, I apologize if these points have been brought up already, I really hadn't seen someone else ask this exactly. I have tested 2 torrents online through US Servers and both come back at full speed. I do have the random port option selected for every time I connect. I was worried Torguard would ban me or something if i used US Severs or something. I contacted Private Internet Access and asked them about their US Severs concerning the same thing...well i asked them if I could p2p on all servers and Private Internet Access said YES, people can connect to any server for p2p activity.  

since torguard has 0-logs and 0-real-time  monitoring.... how can this be enforced if I'm getting full speeds still?? ... I don't get it.. i love the full speed aspect don't get me wrong, just a tad confused as to how I am able to. 

• 1 month later...

did something change with US servers regarding torrenting?  i keep seeing people say its viable but i have all my torrents stuck on updating whether i use my dedicated IP or a public server/IP.  

perusing this thread, someone said it was still possible due to modern clients encrypting traffic but i tried allow and force encryption in qbit, the result was the same. 

21 minutes ago, klepp0906 said:

did something change with US servers regarding torrenting?  i keep seeing people say its viable but i have all my torrents stuck on updating whether i use my dedicated IP or a public server/IP.  

perusing this thread, someone said it was still possible due to modern clients encrypting traffic but i tried allow and force encryption in qbit, the result was the same. 

Hey @klepp0906

You might be getting the Option inside torrent clients confused, For Example if you set the Encryption within your Torrent Client to "Require" / "Forced!" then that could Potentially cause Connection issues By Reducing peers. The Built in Client Encryption is 2 way Enforced which means if you set it to Forced/Require then you are only able to connect to others who ALSO have that specific setting set to Require/Forced which will Drastically Reduce Peers because most people don't have that set. So if you turn that to Forced/Require then your only able to connect/download from other who also have it set to forced/require.

However if you set it to Allow* Encryption without Forcing it* or Requiring it* then you are able to connect to ALL others peers.

So if there are 10 people seeding a LINUX ISO and only 1 of them have encryption set to Forced/Require and you also have it set to Forced/Require then you will only likely be able to connect to 1 out of 10! seeders. However if you set it to Allow Encyption without Forcing/Requiring it then you would be able to Potentially Connect to ALL 10 seeders.

1 hour ago, Dav1d said:

Hey @klepp0906

You might be getting the Option inside torrent clients confused, For Example if you set the Encryption within your Torrent Client to "Require" / "Forced!" then that could Potentially cause Connection issues By Reducing peers. The Built in Client Encryption is 2 way Enforced which means if you set it to Forced/Require then you are only able to connect to others who ALSO have that specific setting set to Require/Forced which will Drastically Reduce Peers because most people don't have that set. So if you turn that to Forced/Require then your only able to connect/download from other who also have it set to forced/require.

However if you set it to Allow* Encryption without Forcing it* or Requiring it* then you are able to connect to ALL others peers.

So if there are 10 people seeding a LINUX ISO and only 1 of them have encryption set to Forced/Require and you also have it set to Forced/Require then you will only likely be able to connect to 1 out of 10! seeders. However if you set it to Allow Encyption without Forcing/Requiring it then you would be able to Potentially Connect to ALL 10 seeders.

Hey, thank you for the explanation.  At least i understand the specifics surrounding each setting.  I figured forced would potentially cause an issue like you mentioned, i only tried it for testing.  started out on, and returned to allow. 

once i connect to the vpn, torrents are dead.  someone on reddit noted for them to work you need to be on the 10g network.  just trying to ascertain what is or is not true.  if people not on the 10g do in fact have it working then somewhere theres some user error going on with a setting.  I used to have it working fine but took a long break and during that break i noticed the lawsuit news.