TorGuard

xFinity-owned routers blocking Wireguard

Rate this question

fool1.3hill

Question

Hi guys,

When accessing xFinity "free" routers out in the community (still have to be a paying customer), my Wireguard is getting consistently blocked. Both my Android client and my Windows 10 client are experiencing the same issue: the connection will at first appear to be set up, but then the IP cannot be confirmed and no traffic occurs.

My OpenVPN still works--and ironically other VPN services' customers post on forums that they have experienced the opposite--but I'm surprised that this supposedly stealthed protocol is getting blocked by the xFinity-owned routers. This also proves the point that Wireguard in sensitive nations of the world can still be detected and blocked.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue with xFinity-owned routers, at home or in the community?

Thanks,

Wm Qu

3 answers to this question

4 hours ago, fool1.3hill said:

Hi guys,

When accessing xFinity "free" routers out in the community (still have to be a paying customer), my Wireguard is getting consistently blocked. Both my Android client and my Windows 10 client are experiencing the same issue: the connection will at first appear to be set up, but then the IP cannot be confirmed and no traffic occurs.

My OpenVPN still works--and ironically other VPN services' customers post on forums that they have experienced the opposite--but I'm surprised that this supposedly stealthed protocol is getting blocked by the xFinity-owned routers. This also proves the point that Wireguard in sensitive nations of the world can still be detected and blocked.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue with xFinity-owned routers, at home or in the community?

Thanks,

Wm Qu

I Have a Friend who Mentioned The Same Issue using Comcast/Xfinity Combined with Wireguard According to Him He thought it was being blocked Using DPI "Deep Packet Inspection" I Have No idea Though. They Could Be Blocking Specific Ports or Maybe Some Setting in the Router. Wireguard Does work well in some Restrictive blocking areas Depends if they are Specifically Singling out and Blocking Wireguard in particular, I don't think your The only one Having this Problem Though.

It's Likely a Router Specific Issue if it's the Router then Maybe it's some Restrictive Settings They Have in Firmware/Settings/Firewall within The Router Possibly. Like for Example my ISP Router Has Custom Firmware That Wont Allow me to Change DNS Settings they Force me to use theirs There are Also Alot! of Other Pre-Configured Settings in my ISP Router which are Greyed out and Preset, So I Use my own Router so i can set Different DNS Etc. Obviously If it's the Router then it's Likely Not DPI, You Mentioned it Happens on The Free Community Wifi Through your Provider that Offers Wifi Hotspots Around the City/Community More Than Likely they Are Purposely Restricting things on those Routers Either Ports or Settings/Firewall Settings They May Not even be Intentionally Blocking Wireguard it may Be Something that they Have Pre-Configured Through Firmware on them for something else that Inadvertently Causes Wireguard Connectivity Issues.

wireguard has no obfuscation and for your ISP it is not hidden that wireguard protocol is used, however, you can find different ways if they really block wireguard, like to obfuscate your wireguard traffic. But it makes no sense that they block only one  protocol and why would it be wireguard is even less clear to me. Best is to call/write them and ask if they specifically block wireguard. There are also known issues where your connection would expire, for that write to torguard support.

Quite honestly I have encountered problems with clients' Xfinity routers I have never seen on any other ISP provided premise equipment. First time was try to make an iPad print with air print. Why Comcast chose to block that port no one knows. Your best bet is to hang out in the Comcast forums at Dslreports, they seem to be the best source of the real facts, forget phone support. You might want to get a list of ports and protocol used by Torguard and have a look inside your router if you know how to do that. We just got rid of Comcast here but thankfully my GF had purchased her own premise equipment.