TorGuard

What's So Bad About TorGuard?

Rate this topic

TDog

It's funny how all the folks in the reddit subs are Mullvad this and Mullvad that. Quite honestly at $5.66/ month I fail to see how one justifies the cost.

I have a freebie VPN account that accompanies my usenet subscription (hint "P") and you get what you pay for, I am still here.  I have heard a bunch of theoretic reasons why some VPNs are better security wise, but I ask has TorGuard turned over any subscriber info? I haven't heard and the circles I travel in I would have known.

If you plan on using a VPN for serious criminal activity, nothing is safe. I point out to the hacking group who's crypto currency was seized by government agencies. If they are waiting for you to do something far more serious than file sharing they will get you one way or another.

So even though I complain from time to time, security has never been an issue and speed is usually great unless you sit on a connection that's idle for a long time.

• Like 1

AFAIK up to date there were no news of Torguard logging or leaking user data. By public pressure they know if that was to happen most customers will stop using the service. I search the web from time to time to check if there are no news.

For the reference I live in europe and tried Mullvad in the past. When I compare them I see the major difference in how the company is run. Mullvad is run more like a ideologically conscious company while Torguard is more practical. Mullvad supports activism (gives money to various pro privacy groups) as a different marketing strategy to attract users. Regular audits probably cost thousands of dollars yearly. Mullvad has a bigger software dev team as the app is really polished, but is has far less options than Torguard. I suspect Mullvad uses newer hardware as many servers are 10Gbit now (but both Mullvad and Torguard saturate my 100/30Mbit internet line at any time of the day, so it's up to what you need). Mullvad is Swedish company while Torguard is from USA (Florida) - Sweden has higher taxes. I suspect that in the end that compounds to the price difference.
Another interesting fact is that both Mullvad and Torguard rent servers at the same datacenter/provider in my country.

It's easy to fall into the extreme privacy rabbit hole (trying to over-control personal privacy). People advocating mullvad on reddit are either hidden company accounts or just normal users trying to solidify their decision (cognitive dissonance effect). There are also people trying to convince you into clicking their affiliate links to make some easy buck (but Mullvad has no affiliate program). There is constant fight over customers in VPN market so every company does what it can to win.
From the protocol security point of view, VPN software is open source so every provider uses the same OpenVPN/Wireguard/IKEv2(StrongSwan) implementation. There are only some minor differences in default configuration options. As for server security we can only assume that the company is competent. There are news that tell Torguard was attacked several times and no customer data was stolen AFAIK.

VPNs are not meant to hide criminal activities but to combat online tracking (DNS requests and IP logging by websites) or bypass geo-restrictions.

As a funny comparison, Mullvad is like vegan bacon while Torguard is regular bacon to me 😄

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TDog said:

It's funny how all the folks in the reddit subs are Mullvad this and Mullvad that. Quite honestly at $5.66/ month I fail to see how one justifies the cost.

I have a freebie VPN account that accompanies my usenet subscription (hint "P") and you get what you pay for, I am still here.  I have heard a bunch of theoretic reasons why some VPNs are better security wise, but I ask has TorGuard turned over any subscriber info? I haven't heard and the circles I travel in I would have known.

If you plan on using a VPN for serious criminal activity, nothing is safe. I point out to the hacking group who's crypto currency was seized by government agencies. If they are waiting for you to do something far more serious than file sharing they will get you one way or another.

So even though I complain from time to time, security has never been an issue and speed is usually great unless you sit on a connection that's idle for a long time.

Well, most people tell you about some company by giving you a ref link and earning money on you, that is at least the case for quite every review site of vpn's, they all sound more like written by one bot with same things. The best part of those reviews is in my view discussion about security where kinda nothing is tested, one gets sometimes even impression that those review writers have no clue at all what they talk about. The funniest part is, those reviews are not written by a user using some  service for some longer time but by testing something new (like if they are experts :) ).

For the rest of your post, I do not know how to tell in best honest way, but thinking in year 2022 that clearnet can be safely anonymous for criminal activities, one must have missed leaks by snowden as well that you actually can be tracked even by using private networks (whichever it is). Since those leaks are publicly available, I encourage you to read them to understand why and how exactly all of it works.

As last, I have no clue what circles you are in, speaking about crypto, I am unsure which group you mean, but the latest big coup which was arrested was a girl and her boyfriend who actually took advantage of bitfinex hack back then. They did not get burned by vpn or because vpn providers leaked any of their data, they got burned because they tried to sell stolen bitcoin's, where that pair seems to have missed what snowden was reporting about too. Crypto is completly different topic, normal people have not really a lot clue about technical side of crypto and many daily traders claim to be experts which they clearly are not. As last, many probably should have found out that stolen crypto is much easier to track then stolen cash meaning that whenever those coins get used, everybody is already informed. As crypto dev I can tell you that using vpn does not you are anon, I will also not discuss about how other people do it or even how you can send crypto without leaving any trace (that works with every coin), all of that is possible, its just not part of the GUI :) and user guides.

As last, when you start comparing mullvad, norsk etc..., do not fall for things like that nordvpn is better because TorGuard is under X blind eyes jursidiction, actually I have less trust in swedish company where it were swedish companies and banks who stole a bunch of my money. One could also ask Mr. Assange about if there is a difference in swedish company which will do everything in US interests or US company? Clever is to assume that both are not secure. Torguard is US based company and they do not offer you service to commit crime, this would be abuse of TorGuard services if you read terms of the agreement. Also, TorGuard has no choice to say yes or no if US gov request data from them, they have to otherwise they can not operate as legal business in US, especially if somebody uses their services to commit crimes, keep that in mind, that is valid for every company, not just vpn.

I know about no issues regarding user data and leaks in torguard, sure, they were few rogue ex employees, like in every company, but there are no known issues to me with torguard in that regard which I cant say about other companies which are not US based and claim to care about your privacy, One maybe should read about Crypto AG to understand that switzerland is also not a country which will not leak/sell/use your data.

As last, please commit no crime and if you do commit crime, then it is not obligation of any company to actually protect you, especially when we talk about some serious organized crime, no vpn will keep you anon.

• Like 3

I've been using Torguard for a few years now, nothing nefarious, just posting board anonymity. Up until recently it's run fairly smooth, it's speed has increased over the years and customer support has been somewhat kind if not a tad aloof for explanations. I always hesitate to update the app due to unforseen problems with 'updates'. Recently however I have had numerous unexplained random disconnects. The reconnect function works well enough but who likes disconnects. I approached customer service and of course the first thing to do is update the app? (I mean why, it was working perfectly so what's changed? .. crickets.) Anyway at the same time they wanted me to try wireguard and after a few unsuccessful attempts we couldn't make it work. Note wireguard has a privacy issue as it exposes your IP address when it first makes contact. A later search by me turned up references to TorGuard not having much luck making wireguard work, no big deal for me. So after settling back into using the new app which with double security entry is rather laborious and using OpenVpn everything seemed fixed... but only for about 24 hours as the random disconnects have now returned. I have not bothered to contact customer support but rather am evaluating not renewing and just looking for something else. Except for speed increases and increase in the number of servers I'm not sure they've enhanced their product over time so much as tried to make it look marketing flashy while attempting to hide the myriad of options avaialble.

Just my .02.

• Like 1

I've been one of the few VPN reviewers advocating for TorGuard since 2016 or so.

And let me tell you.

I've gotten so much hate over the years from Reddit people, it would blow your mind. Death threats, attempted doxing--you name it. The amount of tribalism and toxicity in the VPN community is pretty bad, so much so that I've considered reviewing other products or even doing something else with my free time. 

All because I believe in a family run product with a great track record, better pricing than any other VPN, and their own way of doing things that makes them stand out from the pack. 

If you like a product, and believe in it, and it's treated you well, then don't listen to the naysayers. Like the others say, you can never trust people on forums who shill for VPNs, even if their VPNs don't have observable affiliate programs. As a reviewer myself who is part of TorGuard's affiliate program, and also a customer,  I can tell you that clear and transparent companies like TorGuard are WAY more trustworthy than other companies that have a more behind-the-scenes marketing approach--whether through third party deals, or behind the scene sponsorships. 

- Tom Spark Reviews Youtuber

• Like 2

Well, they do use googleapis fonts and other google stuff like recaptcha on their website. Whenever I log in I need to do a recaptcha. So perhaps if their website could use their own analytics and drop those, they could proudly declare that the next Torrentfreak annual vpn review.

4 minutes ago, C.C. said:

Well, they do use googleapis fonts and other google stuff like recaptcha on their website. Whenever I log in I need to do a recaptcha. So perhaps if their website could use their own analytics and drop those, they could proudly declare that the next Torrentfreak annual vpn review.

How important is it considered one pays and buys services? Would their services be in any way better if their system does not ask you to verify you are a human just because your ip says that many users use that same ip? How much weight has companies online presentation with vpn and proxy services and why would that make such a big difference? According to that logic, TorGuard could simply open daughter company using their own system giving that owner company low priority, but bumping up and investing 90% of their income into marketing => online presentation? Those things are important for torrentfreak, but not the details about vpn, servers, services? I do not know that users log in daily, normally it would mean something is wrong with the product as why should one login daily if everything is working?

What I am trying to say is that many people set wrong values and some who simply want to buy something that other call best and end up at the end with a product they do not need at all. As example, ask some why they use vpn at all if they do not have to pay for it, my reply would be simply outsourcing of managing vpn as well as quite cheap IP addresses if one requires it for own services. All the talk about privacy etc.., no matter how private the claim is, the only really private is yours, meaning you can only trust to yourself (many can argue about that one too) and even that can not be said about the most people, comes together with the fact of people launching by themselves keyloggers, installing spyware, adware or if one is honest, if you use microsoft windows or apple devices, you have no privacy at all and you do not need another layer called vpn which anyway does not help you if those who you want to secure yourself from have remote access to your pc.

• Like 2