TorGuard

Static DNS

Rate this question

Johno

Question

Hi, I would like to know if when setting a static DNS under the Settings/Network section, are the public servers listed DNS queries, still routed through the VPN tunnel? Are they encrypted within the tunnel, even though they are public?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Johno said:

Hi, I would like to know if when setting a static DNS under the Settings/Network section, are the public servers listed DNS queries, still routed through the VPN tunnel? Are they encrypted within the tunnel, even though they are public?

Thanks

Hey @Johno

I Myself always Personally Prefer using NO-Log Private Encrypted DNS Options which Torguard Does Offer, > However alot of people do use other ones such as Cloudfare/OpenDNS/Google and others... Some Public DNS Providers Do! Store Logs what specifically is stored in those Logs i do not know... which is why I don't use them and prefer using the Private No Log Ones rather than Public Logging ones. However that does not necessarily mean that using some* public ones are Bad some might be worse than others if i decided to use a Public DNS the main one i personally might Avoid would maybe be Google.

My Guess is that Public DNS Are Encrypted when using VPN Application Yes, But those Public DNS would Likely still Log/Store that Encrypted Data*. Since it is Encrypted it should be technically safe to use them which is why they are offered in the Application. However if i was Running say OpenVPN inside my router and using Public DNS there could be a chance the Router may not Encrypt the DNS so it may depend on the specific use case and combination of settings. But Likely Inside the Torguard Application The DNS Requests Likely Get encrypted.

The best Answer to your question would prolly be from Support you can open a Support Ticket and ask if you want to they are the most knowledgable.> https://torguard.net/supporttickets.php

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dom1no said:

Hey @Johno

I Myself always Personally Prefer using NO-Log Private DNS Options which Torguard Does Offer, > However alot of people do use other ones such as Cloudfare/OpenDNS/Google and others... Some Public DNS Providers Do! Store Logs what specifically is stored in those Logs i do not know... which is why I don't use them and prefer using the Private No Log Ones rather than Public Logging ones. However that does not necessarily mean that using some* public ones are Bad some might be worse than others if i decided to use a Public DNS the main one i personally might Avoid would maybe be Google.

My Guess is that Public DNS Might* be Encrypted when using VPN Yes But those Public DNS would Likely still Log/Store that Encrypted Data*. Since it is Encrypted it should be technically safe to use them which is why they are offered in the Application. However if i was Running say OpenVPN inside my router and using Public DNS there could be a chance the Router may not Encrypt the DNS so it may depend on the specific use case and combination of settings. But Likely Inside the Torguard Application The DNS Requests Likely Get encrypted.

The best Answer to your question would prolly be from Support you can open a Support Ticket and ask if you want to they are the most knowledgable.> https://torguard.net/supporttickets.php

Thank you for the detailed answer, Dom1no. I have sent a ticket to support asking for clarification. I have a feeling, Public DNS is still encrypted & is wrapped.

• Like 1