TorGuard

Torguard and Firestick 4K

Rate this question

sands257

Question

Lately I have been having problems with Torguard on my Firestick 4K.  Things used to work fine, so I know it's not an issue that it can't work correctly.  My issue is as follows.  I connect to a location and it indicates that it is connected.  Let's just say New Jersey server.  But when I do an IP detect, it's still showing my original ISP #.  So it appears Torguard is running and connected, but I'm still displaying my original IP address when doing an IP detect.  This never used to be the case.  It would show the IP address of the New Jersey server.

I have 2 firesticks and this problem is occurring on both of them.  However, my PC's and android phones all connect and function fine.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?  Thanks

8 answers to this question

Which firestick's do you have, the old 4k or the new 4k max? I've read somewhere about vpn issues, just wanted to order one to test. Is wireguard instalable on your stick and if yes did you try wireguard original client instead of TorGuards?

Here is how you should be able to install wireguard client:

1. Go to official wireguard install page.

2. Enable unknown apps

3. use Downloader to download and install the apk directly from the WireGuard website

4. Create a config file with torguards config creator tool.

5. Save this config in any available way for you (as example cloud service and Downloader) directly to your firestick

6. Launch wireguard and open the config file then connect

That should work.

I believe it is the old 4K stick.  Wireguard is available in the Torguard app as an option to select.  I have not tried to install anything with wireguard.  I will give that a try and see if it works.  Thanks

As far as known to me, there are no issues with old 4K stick, I think TorGuard App should work and if it does, then it is probably easier for you to use it instead of original wireguard client. In few days I will test it on new 4k max stick to see if everything works, I will test Torguard but will use wireguard's original for the purpose of better peer management.

In many cases factory reset is good start for resolution of problems, that is probably the last which you should try unless you have all your settings backed up.

Hope it works for you.

If you guys don't mind answering, I'm just curious. What is the purpose of using a VPN for a Firestick. Is it to access restricted geo locational content? Or do you just not want your ISP to know what you're doing, regardless of what it is?

5 hours ago, Cytane89 said:

If you guys don't mind answering, I'm just curious. What is the purpose of using a VPN for a Firestick. Is it to access restricted geo locational content? Or do you just not want your ISP to know what you're doing, regardless of what it is?

Firesticks Run Android so you can basically install whatever your heart desires onto it... One example Might be things such as Kodi or similar things and when using those types of things there can be Severe Privacy risks! So if you don't use a VPN when using those types of things you may unwittingly/unknowingly be putting yourself in a vicarious situation. I do not own a firestick but from what i have heard they basically can do pretty much whatever you desire, They are completely different than a ROKU Stick because with Roku your limited to only specific approved applications and such. I believe you can even surf the internet on a Firestick you can download things and install basically any app. So Basically in some aspects one might propose if you would need a VPN for your Computer then you would need a VPN for a Firestick because a Firestick can pretty much do anything right down to browsing the internet.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dom1no said:

Firesticks Run Android so you can basically install whatever your heart desires onto it... One example Might be things such as Kodi or similar things and when using those types of things there can be Severe Privacy risks! So if you don't use a VPN when using those types of things you may unwittingly/unknowingly be putting yourself iv a vicarious situation. I do not own a firestick but from what i have heard they basically can do pretty much whatever you desire, They are completely different than a ROKU Stick because with Roku your limited to only specific approved applications and such. I believe you can even surf the internet on a Firestick you can download things and install basically any app. So Basically in some aspects one might propose if you would need a VPN for your Computer then you would need a VPN for a Firestick because a Firestick can pretty much do anything right down to browsing the internet.

Ahh! Makes total sense. I had no idea of the complex functionality of a firestick. I simply thought it was a media streaming device. Thanks for the explanation.

Both firesticks seem to be connecting to Torguard correctly and are staying connected.  I did an IP detect and it is now showing the location (New Jersey) which I have selected.  I don't know what changed because I didn't do anything to fix it.  Seemed to have resolved on it's own.  If it acts up again, I will try your suggestion listed above.  Thanks for your assistance!!!!