TorGuard

Slowest Downloads Across All North American Servers

Rate this topic

Wrecker

How are you testing speeds? we have tested from within the US, from the UK and other locations but see no such issue. Have you tried to simply reboot your networking equipment and devices?

• 2 weeks later...

NJ server is triply slow than what it usually is. I max out at 300mbps and have been getting that until lately with it only topping out at 100. Switching to NY brought me back up to normal speeds.

I am finding that I have to reboot every couple of days to reach the higher speeds I expect.

Just disconnecting a reconnecting does not solve the issue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2022 at 2:39 AM, Wrecker said:

I am finding that I have to reboot every couple of days to reach the higher speeds I expect.

Just disconnecting a reconnecting does not solve the issue.

Welcome to the world of oversold POP's. During business hours weekdays I get all kinds of error issues trying to connect to New Jersey and New York POPs. This morning 2/7/22 was a real headache.  If you keep banging if you are lucky, you can grab a spot. It's seems whoever is provisioning these POPs will move the client to a lower priority slot if there is little or no use other than a keep-alive. Try moving to another server if you can find an open slot. The other recourse is to wait a bit before you attempt the same POP. Both methods work for me when I experience your problem. 

In case the issue is not on TorGuard side (which I believe):

I blame on your ISP's guys, as from whichever part of the world I tested, all US servers give me full speed, regardless of country from which I connect. On the same time, from EU I never can connect to NL servers, except with lte (T-Mobile germany) and speed is quite lame. Agree, for US citizen a non working US server is not really working well.

1. Ask your ISP if it throttles vpn

2. Ask your ISP if they can explain you not being able to connect to mentioned servers where it connects properly over other ISP's.

If you dont want to talk to your ISP at all, then try first stealth protocol over some general port (like 443) and see if you get different results.

In any case, if you got some creepy ISP making a fool of a customer, the only resolution would be changing to another ISP and yes, you for sure can test in their inhouse if your mobile over wlan connects to US servers. 

Another good example would be one test which I did over period of a month. I've setup a server in Moscow with 1Gbit connection. The max. speed it could get from EU was from the server in northern part of germany, it reached around 350Mbit/s. Then connecting same server in Moscow to US servers gave full 1Gbit despite that the distance to US servers compared to central Europe are much, much further away. Therefore, best working torguard servers which are outside the country for Moscow (at least for a tested ISP) are US servers.

Ironically, US sanctiones Russia, but it is US citizens who seem to have trouble using US servers where everybody else seems to connect just fine.

@TorGuardif your customer's ISP's are at fault, then maybe providing a server working with those ISP's could help, those users having issues are perfect candidates to test it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm finding the same issue. I'm in US. Trying to find a decent server to connect my gigabit speed to.  I get 650Mbps normal traffic.  Once I connect to VPN nowadays, it drops to 200Mbps if I'm lucky but then I can only stream one Youtube video.  If I add on another I get buffering.  All other connections range around 10 to 50mbps.  Horrible.  Yet the service tells us all their servers are 1gig capable.

And yeah, I tried connecting to NY via port 443 that is on the server list.  that was my worst speed yet.  5meg.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 1:42 PM, 19807409 said:

In case the issue is not on TorGuard side (which I believe):

I blame on your ISP's guys, as from whichever part of the world I tested, all US servers give me full speed, regardless of country from which I connect. On the same time, from EU I never can connect to NL servers, except with lte (T-Mobile germany) and speed is quite lame. Agree, for US citizen a non working US server is not really working well.

@TorGuardif your customer's ISP's are at fault, then maybe providing a server working with those ISP's could help, those users having issues are perfect candidates to test it.

Nonsense. I have observed this behavior with both major providers on both residential and commercial accounts on many different systems and O/S. I wouldn't have made my initial statement unless I had done that. I am well aware no ISP provider is faultless but given the randomness of the problem it's the destination not the route.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TDog said:

Nonsense. I have observed this behavior with both major providers on both residential and commercial accounts on many different systems and O/S. I wouldn't have made my initial statement unless I had done that. I am well aware no ISP provider is faultless but given the randomness of the problem it's the destination not the route.

You call something nonsense and you have no proof for your words, you try to confirm your nonsense comment by claiming to have observed something somewhere sometime. The reply was also not to you but to thread starter. Before you claim next time, make sure you have proof for your claims, I will not waste time in making those tests to show you how you could test, but the quality of your observation seems to be useless too if there are no results which obviously were not posted by you before/after you claimed the nonsense. In another thread, today, you do claim that you have experienced unseen issues, this fully contradicts to what you write here, as it clearly is then on ISP's side.

My suggestion to you is, connect to all servers, make speedtest and iperf tests with all TorGuard servers, you can do so per command line and post the results, then other TorGuard users from around the world can make same tests and by that you will be able to see results.

On 4/2/2022 at 9:13 PM, TDog said:

I have observed this behavior with both major providers on both residential and commercial accounts on many different systems and O/S. I wouldn't have made my initial statement unless I had done that. I am well aware no ISP provider is faultless but given the randomness of the problem it's the destination not the route.

I've now tried using 2 different ISPs.  Trying servers across the USA, and half-dozen across Europe and S. America.  Max I can get is about 20M now and pings in 100's to 200's. (denoted by speedtest.net results, and via buffering you-tube videos and slow web page loads).  
For myself, this issue started at some point this year.  The prior years I did not have any issue.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:20 AM, captainfish said:

I've now tried using 2 different ISPs.  Trying servers across the USA, and half-dozen across Europe and S. America.  Max I can get is about 20M now and pings in 100's to 200's. (denoted by speedtest.net results, and via buffering you-tube videos and slow web page loads).  
For myself, this issue started at some point this year.  The prior years I did not have any issue.

There are no reported issue on these networks, your issue is very likely a device issue.

I would suggest contacting support. https://torguard.net/submitticket.php