TorGuard

WireGuard Connection Goes Dead After a Few Minutes

Rate this question

Harry Muscle

Question

I have a WireGuard connection setup with port forwarding.  To connect I make an API call via curl to enable my configuration file and then start the connection via wg-quick.  I can test that the port forwarding works and everything checks out and works great.  But a few minutes later I lose all internet connectivity.  No apartment errors, just no connection, can't ping any IP addresses.  I'm well versed with Linux and the command line but brand new to WireGuard, so I'm not sure where to even start figuring out why this is happening.  Is there possibly another Torguard API call that needs to be make every x second or minutes to keep the connection alive?  Or maybe it's a misconfiguration of the WireGuard client?  Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry

2 answers to this question

Hello, the confusion comes mostly by less/no documentation:

Using API:

1. Config expires exactly 24 hours after api call, resulting in exactly what you describe.

2. to prevent it from expiring, call once the api within expiration time (24 hours)

Or using config generator on your account page on torguard:

1. Configs never expire and do not need api call to keep them valid.

In both cases, for port forwarded IP's, use your vpn username.

If you need to connect from other clients to same IP, then use your another username (which you can see as proxy credentials under your account).

In case that you use same username with port forwarded IP, then it would invalidate previous one.

Hope that helps

On 12/22/2021 at 11:29 PM, Harry Muscle said:

I have a WireGuard connection setup with port forwarding. 

<snip>

Thanks,

Harry

Harry, can you explain how you set this up? I find nothing in the knowledgebase