TorGuard

Is torguard abandoning SOCKS proxy?

Rate this question

issasekret

Question

I've noticed SOCKS proxy service performance degrading over the last year or so (seems like it started when the services were bundled.) Is this service just being allowed to wither and die now that it doesn't exist as a standalone product? We no longer have any US proxy servers listed and the ones in Canada randomly stop responding, so North American service is effectively crippled. If proxy service is still important to me should I just find a new provider?

• Like 1

25 answers to this question

Hello,

We are not abandoning the socks5 proxy at all guys - we removed the US servers for specific reasons, we did replace them with servers within Europe.

We are adding mores socks5 in and around Canada very shortly to beef up the socks5 network a bit and so performance will improve at this point.

Regards

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 3:00 PM, FB2022 said:

I contacted them and received an IP address that wasn't listed earlier that worked (and at higher speed than it's been in months). Given that none of the posted ones worked for me already and you mentioned they've been ddosed, it might be best for people to contact them for now and not post the addresses.

Yes you are Correct it is Possible Posting the Socks5 IP's on the forums Might Lead to Issues. It does seem as though that they are having issues Currently Because Alot of users are Posting about Having Connection Issues -  Considering they are Using 40GB! Ports Each Now they shouldn't Be Under High Load, They Seem to Be Working for awhile then Not working Back and Forth.

As @Randotron Mentioned there is the Old socks5 List on the waybackmachine However Some of those IP's Likely Do Not work anymore i Believe and It's Possible More of them Might Stop Working Over Time So if you use one of those Just be aware you might need to Change it Eventually if it stops working. 

Hi, 
this was the same question,
i was about to ask as I've been with Torguard, for well over 6 years and just renewed for 2 more years 
i love the company , but in the last 3month's i noticed the same thing and this starting to be a real pain as 90% of my use age with the company is for my downloading via Socks5 service, but it's really started to downgrade 
due to the loss of all the servers , 
i in fact about 6mth's ago saved the socks5 page and the difference between now and then has become a joke 
as its really screwing up my download connections more and more,
it's not due to speeds etc and i always get a 100% as if i was downloading without a VPN
it's down to the fact i keep getting the same message more and more now 

"A Socket operation was attempted to a unreachable host"  time and time again plus a few other messages  
and this is with using the Your Proxy Details Summary
SOCKS5 Hostname 1:    proxy.torguard.org
SOCKS5 Hostname 2:    proxy.torguard.io
SOCKS5 Hostname 3:    proxy.secureconnect.me
SOCKS5 Ports:    1080,1085,1090
or as i was told by staff pick a static ip from the socks5 page 

which I've done , yet you no longer have those ip in the USA  and now it seems only 3 country's when we used to have 15-20 to pick from 
but even with use the static ip ( also changing between the 3 socks5 ports)
it will work for a bit, anything from 30mins to a few days as i leave my qbit running 24/7  then I'm kicked off again
then i get the error and  kicked of even those more and more in the last 2-3 months 

it's really becoming a pain as I'm losing my peers and seeds due this it now become a joke even finishing of a big file 
as by the time i get back on the seeders have gone or if i lucky as i leave it on 24/7 i may beadle to reconnect to them a few days to a week later on 

the socks5 service was never this bad , i've been reselling your services in the past to people due to the fact of how good the socks5 was 
but as i staid and in the above post , in the last 2-3 months its become a joke almost 

i have the  Anonymous VPN Standard plan with the email etc, i pay bi-year for it happy due to my Aff sales

i love the service that Torguard gives and before c-19 hit was always pushing the service to my clients etc when i could 
or pushing my aff link in post on places i go 

but now i really don't have a clue as to what your doing are you killing off the socks5 services etc 
if so what's the replacement should i be using from you over socks5 for my Proxy service on my torrent client as i can't run the app 24/7 as i'll get geo problems for some of the company sites i have to deal with where i live and not want to be turning app/programme on and off every 5 mins due to work 

Hi,

I am also getting the same errors as @EBec with

SOCKS5 Hostname 2:    proxy.torguard.com

just says

SOCKS5 proxy error. Message: SOCKS5 error. op: handshake ec: The semaphore timeout period has expired ep: 5.254.48.58:1085\

and static ips from socks5 list just expire after a while

On 1/26/2022 at 1:45 AM, raverkid said:

Hi,

I am also getting the same errors as @EBec with

SOCKS5 Hostname 2:    proxy.torguard.com

just says

SOCKS5 proxy error. Message: SOCKS5 error. op: handshake ec: The semaphore timeout period has expired ep: 5.254.48.58:1085\

and static ips from socks5 list just expire after a while

They are Currently in the Process of Over-Hauling the Socks5 Network I believe email's were sent out Letting everyone know.

I am using a SOCKs5 proxy with a torrent client. The host I am connecting to is: proxy.torguard.org.

Using a tracker in my client, I've noticed the errors mentioned in the posts above, instead of showing the proxy IP address. If I am downloading a torrent file, and the tracker is showing one of the errors, is this causing my actual IP address to be visible? (The download continues, and I believe my actual IP address is being exposed.)

How can I prevent my actual IP address from being exposed when the SOCKs5 proxy is unavailable?

Below is one example of what the tracker shows:
checkmytorrentip.net: Error: End of file

I am using a SOCKs5 proxy with uTorrent client. Proxy is: proxy.torguard.org Port 1085

Have disable Bandwidth > Apply rate limit to uTP connection, and BitTorrent> Uncheck Enable bandwidth management (uTP) option.

Recently, when I download a torrent file, it doesn't work. No movement. Update tracker - doesn't help.

I disable SOCKs5. Exit out of the uTorrent, ensuring it's not the process. Open uTorrent again. After a few mins, it starts to download. During this download, I enable SOCKs5 again, and it works.

The following day, the same happen. I had to repeat the same process again.

Is this a know issue or should I open a ticket?

It would be appreciated if anyone can help?

On 2/17/2022 at 7:05 PM, Leeroy said:

I am using a SOCKs5 proxy with uTorrent client. Proxy is: proxy.torguard.org Port 1085

Have disable Bandwidth > Apply rate limit to uTP connection, and BitTorrent> Uncheck Enable bandwidth management (uTP) option.

Recently, when I download a torrent file, it doesn't work. No movement. Update tracker - doesn't help.

I disable SOCKs5. Exit out of the uTorrent, ensuring it's not the process. Open uTorrent again. After a few mins, it starts to download. During this download, I enable SOCKs5 again, and it works.

I would Open a Ticket To Let Support Know, There Might Be still Some sort of issue with the Proxy Hostnames. I'd still Recommend though to Let Support know you were Having issues with the Hostnames so they can Look into it, After trying out a IP Post Back Here and Let everyone know if the IP Worked any Better or Not for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dom1no said:

I would Open a Ticket To Let Support Know, There Might Be still Some sort of issue with the Proxy Hostnames. You might have better luck Viewing the Socks5 Page and Selecting a IP Address Instead of the Hostname for now, The IP's seem to be Working at least for me. I'd still Recommend though to Let Support know you were Having issues with the Hostnames so they can Look into it, After trying out a IP Post Back Here and Let everyone know if the IP Worked any Better or Not for you.

Thanks Dom1no. I will test using the SOCKS5 page IP Address (quite a few in Canada - any disadvantage as I'm in Australia). Sometime I encountered the error "proxy connect error connection closed by peer" - download stops working. Following the results I will then open a ticket.

On 2/17/2022 at 7:22 PM, Leeroy said:

Thanks Dom1no. I will test using the SOCKS5 page IP Address (quite a few in Canada - any disadvantage as I'm in Australia). Sometime I encountered the error "proxy connect error connection closed by peer" - download stops working. Following the results I will then open a ticket.

Socks5 Doesn't Encrypt Data So The Location should Not Effect Speed Too Much, I know Others Have Mentioned issues with the Hostnames Recently.  

20 hours ago, Dom1no said:

Socks5 Doesn't Encrypt Data So The Location should Not Effect Speed Too Much, I know Others Have Mentioned issues with the Hostnames Recently but I have been using the IP's and have Not had any Issues Myself.  I Did Need to Select a Different IP Though awhile back Because the One I was using was Removed from the Socks5 Page So I picked a New one and Everything was Working Again.

Thanks for your feedback. Will definitely try one of the proxy IP Page provided instead of proxy.torguard.org.

Will advise the test results

Tested with Canada IP. Download was very slow. Change to another IP - it was fast. Since they updated these IPs, proxy.torguard.org is no longer reliable. You need to select an IP from the SOCKS5 IP page till you find one that works for you. 

On 2/17/2022 at 9:05 PM, Leeroy said:

This has always been an issue for me using the host proxy.torguard.org.  It seems the ip resolved from proxy.torguard.org eventually gets removed or maybe goes stale? I'm not exactly sure what happens but like you said eventually torrents will not download and new torrents just wouldn't work.  I use qBittorrent which has an api interface so I was just updating the proxy connection via the api and a python script to one of the ip addresses listed on sock5 page every 6 hours and that solved the issue for me but like Tre_P just said the socks5 ip list page is now gone for some reason.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:08 AM, Dom1no said:

They are Currently in the Process of Over-Hauling the Socks5 Network I believe email's were sent out Letting everyone know.

The IP you listed > " 5.254.48.58:1085 " No longer Appears on the socks5 page - I would Recommend just picking a new one off the page. Sometimes When Entering a hostname for Socks5 such as > proxy.torguard.org - proxy.torguard.com - proxy.secureconnect.me , that Error Commonly Happens if there is some type of Network Change such as a Reconnect/Timeout Because over time the Hostname Assigns you a different IP address which Causes a handshake Error this happens with All Socks5 when using Hostnames when connected for long periods Because when the IP changes for whatever reason it causes that Error Temporarily Untill you Restart whatever Socks5 Program you are using, Using a Static IP can be slightly more reliable sometimes but Not in all cases.

I find when Connecting to Socks5 for long Periods Selecting a Specific Static IP Address can make the Connection More reliable, However as Noted Above they are Making Changes to the Socks5 Network and the IP you were using is No longer Available so I would Recommend Just picking a New one from the Socks5 Page. > https://torguard.net/network/socks5/
Keep in mind that they are Still working on the Socks5 Network so there may be a chance you may need to Select another new one at some point in time in the Future so if you have the same Problem again just view the Socks5 page and Select Another New one that is Available.

I've been talking to the tech team over the last few days , the link page you kindly added doesn't work anymore and hasn't for 24/48hrs as it only goes to the "anyconnect" page now
as their is no socks5 page for up's anymore 
also if you were lucky in getting a email about this , i can say i didn't , i only know about this due to when it started at the start of the year as i used to only use USA ip's as i got higher seed numbers and one day they were gone and that's how i found out ,
i've not once i seen a email and i run my own exchange server
I know after been with Torguard for over 7years plus and a Aff reseller, know i know they are on my white list 

but anyway  hears a list of working ip's but you do get kicked off still , yet they do work
( i just wish Qbitorrent had a restart icon/button so you don't have to waste time opening and closing it )

as I've been having the same problems as yourself heres a list of IP's
I've made with help of the tech support 
I've been using and created with the help of support but it can be hit and miss but they do work
(I've listed port notes next to them , but fill free to try all 3 just encase)

This is a bit Hit and miss but is useable  : proxy.torguard.org > 1080,1085,1090 Ports

All the ip's below work with Port 1085 (sometimes with port 1090 or 1080 , but mostly not)

89.238.177.198 1090
176.113.74.74 1085 (found via proxy.torguard.org, when it decided to work )
all of the above work with port 1085 ( a few with 1090 but it changes, so i keep too 1085) 
but it is a hit and miss,
to try and get it going plus you still may get kicked off after a bit if the torrent if finished so reseeding is a pain in the arse

Anyway i hope this helps you all with the same problem i'm having , once i get anymore ip's I'll add them to help

if you are using the checkyourip.torrent and notice a unlisted IP that's not in my list above
please added below to help out with its port number 

anyway cheers all

Edited by EBec
on meds so bad spelling , may need to edit again when i notice

I Can Also Confirm that There are Connection Issues Again ,

I would Recommend Opening a Support Ticket to Notify Support That the Socks5 IP's and Hostnames are both Down Again and Hopefully they Can Resolve the Issue Soon. There are Dedicated Support Staff Who Respond to Tickets Everyday Who Can help Look into and Resolve the Issues Sooner when Notified By Ticket, You Can Mention That Multiple People are Having the same Issue and Refer to the Forums.

1 minute ago, Dom1no said:

I know when i spoke to Support 1-2 Weeks Ago I was Told they Removed the Socks5 page for a Couple Reasons one being that they are Doing Updates But Another Reason was Because their Socks5 IP's Were Being Ddos Attacked. I Suppose It's Possible they are Either Still Doing Maintenance or More than Likely Someone May Be Ddos Attacking the Socks5 IP's Still.

I Can Also Confirm that There are Connection Issues Again ,

I would Recommend Opening a Support Ticket to Notify Support That the Socks5 IP's and Hostnames are both Down Again and Hopefully they Can Resolve the Issue Soon. There are Dedicated Support Staff Who Respond to Tickets Everyday Who Can help Look into and Resolve the Issues Sooner when Notified By Ticket, You Can Mention That Multiple People are Having the same Issue and Refer to the Forums.

I contacted them and received an IP address that wasn't listed earlier that worked (and at higher speed than it's been in months). Given that none of the posted ones worked for me already and you mentioned they've been ddosed, it might be best for people to contact them for now and not post the addresses.

So my torrent software says the tracker is connected but noting will download or connect to seeds. Is this related to the SOCKS5 issue? It just started within the last few days as I know it was working fine Saturday.

The IP Magnet seems to be working though. I don't know what's goin on.

4 hours ago, emanon17 said:

So my torrent software says the tracker is connected but noting will download or connect to seeds. Is this related to the SOCKS5 issue? It just started within the last few days as I know it was working fine Saturday.

If you're using a US server via VPN, you have to use the VPN to connect to a different country first. If you're not in the US, I don't know why it's not working.

Edited by FB2022

On 3/31/2022 at 1:28 AM, emanon17 said:

Same here. Started a few days ago.
With proxy enabled -> No downloads at all. I can connect to the proxy.. but nothing seems to go through it.
With proxy disabled -> everything works immediately as it should.

I've tried all combinations of hostnames (which all resolve to the same ips) and posts of proxy.torguard.org, proxy.torguard.com, proxy.secureconnect.me on ports 1080,1085 and 1090. I've tried hardcoding to one of the resolved IPs. Nothing works.

I'm not going to try one of the "old" IPs that isn't resolved by one of the hostnames. These are no longer "officially" supported and not guaranteed to work, right?
Ticket opened.. I'll let followup here as well.

Update: My problem was an Id 10 T error... For this one specific issue, I didn't have "use authentication" enabled on the proxy.. duh.

Edited by Tre_P
update

On 4/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, Tre_P said:

Same here. Started a few days ago.
With proxy enabled -> No downloads at all. I can connect to the proxy.. but nothing seems to go through it.
With proxy disabled -> everything works immediately as it should.

I've tried all combinations of hostnames (which all resolve to the same ips) and posts of proxy.torguard.org, proxy.torguard.com, proxy.secureconnect.me on ports 1080,1085 and 1090. I've tried hardcoding to one of the resolved IPs. Nothing works.

I'm not going to try one of the "old" IPs that isn't resolved by one of the hostnames. These are no longer "officially" supported and not guaranteed to work, right?
Ticket opened.. I'll let followup here as well.

Are you guys all using USA VPN over the socks5 proxy?

May 17th ...

Using proxy.torgaurd.org/com/whatever OR specific IPS, many times the logs just show a failed handshake. Other times nothing but there's no connection.

Times like now I'm bouncing between 50kb to 400kb when my connection is 100mbps and I've seen these "awesome proxies" pull off 9mbps while my average connection via say pacman or yay will pull 50mbps easily. These proxies have turned into junk. All of them. Also, why are there no more USA proxies. I don't mean a secretive "for reasons" answer but an actual answer.

This is enough to drop you guys. I already dropped the VPN service because it was a joke.

After re-connecting 5 more times to different proxies before posting this just to be sure, I'm getting a total average of 125kbps. Yes, my settings are correct. The same they have been for years including when I could get normal (for your proxy service) speeds.

I have used the list of SOCKS5 addresses from Canada 68.71.244.6 to 68.71.244.62 with Port 1085. It’s about 12 addresses. Some work for a few days, a week then fail with no download movements. Lately, they do not work at all. No download with SOCKS5

I disable SOCKs5. Exit out of the uTorrent, ensuring it's not the process. Open uTorrent again. After a few mins, it starts to download without SOCKS5.

I am using VPN together with socks5 proxy for double protection for several years without any download problems. Lately, when Torguard removed the US servers, and replaced or added mores socks5 in and around Canada is when my issues started.

Tested:
VPV is OFF, and socks5 proxy ON – Result: Do not work
VPV is ON, and socks5 proxy OFF – Result: Work

As mentioned previously, VPN together with socks5 proxy (Canada addresses) was working fine. It may work for a few days or weeks, by changing Canada addresses.

I believe something have changed in the socks5 proxy recently to cause my issues.

I have log this issue with support. Awaiting assistance.