TorGuard

iknowwhatyoudownload.com and TorGuard

Rate this topic

Glostafarian

I use utorrent with a TorGuard Socks5 proxy.  I recently went to iknowwhatyoudownload.com and it showed the torrents I downloaded in the past week.  Can you help me understand how TorGuard is helping me remain anonymous when I can go to IKWYD and see my history?  Thanks.

IKWYD just tracks what different ips download because they are public while using bittorrent. Torguard helps you stay anonymous by sharing the ip among other users, so that other people cannot pinpoint who is doing what.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Glostafarian. Socks5 proxy is suddenly failing and torrents are leaking. Did I miss a critical update where this just isn't effective anymore?

Using a Socks5 Proxy with a torrent client does not guarantee Anonymity. Socks5 Does Not Encrypt The Data Transferred and Most Torrent Clients Occasionally leak IP. 

Alot of people who use Socks5 Use The VPN Software and Socks5 Combined!!, That way you have 2 Layers of Anonymity. But not many people Rely on ONLY Socks5 since it can be Unreliable and that is Nothing to do with Torguard. When using a Socks5 Proxy your Basically Completely Relying on the Torrent Client/Software that your using to not leak and most of them do Occasionally Randomly Leak.

Another thing to take note is If your Only using Socks5 Proxy inside Torrent Clients Then DNS has also been known to Leak in Torrent Clients so if your not using 3rd Party DNS Inside your Internet Adapter then Not only is there a chance your IP may occasionally Leak but your DNS IP may also! Leak Occasionally. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2021 at 5:58 AM, Stealth said:

welp, won't be resigning up for the proxy. I was using it because i thought it was pretty reliable. 

guess not....

This is why you should use a VPN connection (Wireguard has a good performance in my opinion)  and create a port forward with torguard.net to the decicated port of your torrent client. This will for sure increase your security and not leak any DNS or IP address. 

• Thanks 1